not sure where to put this - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

not sure where to put this

ok, stupid question, and before you ask yes i can play the guitar and no i dont just want to do stupid gimmicks. anyway, how in the hell do you fling a guitar round your head properly, me and my brother were messing around and he managed to do it quite well, but my dimarzio strap is not very permitting and i ended up smashing the guitar against my head, i think ive got the technique down but im sure its the friction of the strap.
if that bloody kid from busted can do it so can i. any advice??!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 04:19 PM

Hell, even Head from Korn can do it, and I've seen the bassists of Linkin Park and Papa Roach can do it, and that's with an uber-low slung 5-string bass each (both Ernie Balls if I remember correct).

So maybe it's the friction thing, and maybe it's how low you have your guitar hanging. If you have it up around your nipples, you'll probably never get it, and if you have it uber-low, it'll take more force to keep it moving
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 04:43 PM

The key is to throw it BACK and not UP. And make sure your strap is held on VERY SECURELY.

You'll probably also have a hard time if you're accustomed to wearing your guitar up around your chin. You need a bit of swing on the strap for it to spin properly.

I can't believe i'm giving advice on how to do this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:16 PM

victor wooten manages to do it with a short strap.

Id love to be able to do that by Im too afraid for both my head and guitars sake.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:58 PM

LoL REally cool topic,
ill start to try that!!!

another one
How does the Nirvana Bass player Does that? Throw his bass up to the sky and then hit it with his head?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

i know its stupid! i cant belive those guys can do it with basses, it is hard i almost knocked myself out the other day, i know about swinging it back it just gets caught on somehing then whacks me in the head, not very good. what about yngwie that fool does it about every three seconds on the brazil video, and he uses dimarzio straps, well ive seen some pictures of him with the clip lock im sure, i like the idea of doing it the other way, like around your left shoulder (if your right handed). another i love which must be alot easy is what hendrix does on the woodstock version of voodoo child, where he slides his hand up the neck over the top and then slides down from the higher frets it looks wicked! we should be talking about these things, we're guitar players for gods sake, its part of the stupid showmanship thing that we do.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

i think ill wrap a pillow around my head next time, then ill be invincible!

owwwwwwwwww, god im bloody obsessed with it now, just ripped a mole off my neck, i have to do it!!!!
someone better post who can do it properly
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 AM
Fry

yngwie does the coolest manuevers. I seen him spin his guitar on his hand like a basketball. I won't try it, cause i'm afraid i'll drop it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 08:23 AM

No! Good god, don't do it! Don't you realise that the reason all those big-hair 80s guys were able to get away with it was that they were wearing crash helmets, and that the hair was fake, and only there to hide the helmet?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 08:30 AM

I HAVE to see Satch doe this that would be so cool in surfin with the alien or sumthin lol
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:41 AM

The points to note when doing this are:

1: Have EXCELLENT straplocks, otherwise you'll do a "One Off"

2: As mentioned before, you need to throw the guitar more UP than around, and use your left hand on the heel to kinda make sure you don't throw it into the side of your head as you release.

3: LIFT YOUR RIGHT ARM UP AS YOU THROW!!! Otherwise your strap will slide down your body, and you'll hula hoop your guitar. Not a pretty sight.

4: When the guitar neck comes around, put your right hand down to grab the body, and reach all the way around to GRAB THE STRAP FIRST!!! If you grab the body, it'll hurt! You want to slow the guitar down as it comes around.

I've done this a few times, but only with my kramer focus $50 axe Slidey straps help a lil to get it round, but if you can't catch the strap, it'll keep going (Usually onto the floor).

I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYONE WHO TRIES TO DO THIS!!!

:P
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 10:52 AM

I agree with Fry, Yngwie is the man when it comes to this. God knows how he does it, because I have never been brave enough to try it. He also uses DiMarzio ClipLocks, but I think its just practise I suppose!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

thanx for the advice on such a stupid subject! but i think you'll agree we all love the idea of being stupid fools who can throw their guitar around in fun ways, i love the crash helmet thing, that was hilarious. ive not been grabbing it by the strap at all thanx for that tip, i just let it wurl its way back round or other times it flips on its side and whacks me square on in the head.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

my final comment on this, some one please post a video of someone doing it or themselves, for some stupid reason i just need to know how to do it, and nobody say "learn to play the guitar first" its not about playing the bugger its about throwing it round you head, and looking like a baffoon who shows off, its part of it. and not yngwie he does it as natural as taking a dump, ill never be able to figure it out from him. i know the bass player from papa roach does it on that music video, but he actually does it the other way which looks quite cool to, like over his shoulder.
thankyou all.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 12:11 PM

Jeez! I tried something with my guitar I saw on MTV once when I was 12 and got a welt on my shin for months!

Mike 777 Haug

Tags
dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio strap , ernie ball , ernie balls , guitar players , string bass , victor wooten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode