Ohms versus Volume - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Ohms versus Volume

I'm just curious if there's any difference between ohms versus power. For example, is there any difference in volume between running 16 ohms into a 16 ohm cabinet or 8 ohms into an 8 ohm cabinet? What are the pluses and negatives of using different ohms?

I have a Mesa triple recto running a 16 ohm 4x12 cabinet (from the 16 ohm speaker jack) and an 8 ohm 1x18 cabinet (from the 8 ohm speaker jack). The blend is nice and the Mesa somehow naturally routes more low end through the 18, however the 4x12 is significantly louder than the 1x18. Is it due to the difference in ohms? Is there an easy way to balance them out?

-Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 02:24 AM

The 4x12 will move more air and sound louder than the 1x18.

The 12" speakers also handle higher frequencies more efficiently than the 18". Higher frequency sounds are perceived by our ears to be louder than low frequency sounds.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 01:54 PM

For starters: Never try to mix and match connections. an 8 Ohm speaker should be connected only to an 8 Ohm speaker output jack.

But, there are amplifiers that will put out different power levels when switched to different impedence (Ohms) settings. That's common with some solid state output stage amplifiers. You may be able to reduce power by a dedicated circuit on the amp. Usually, the impedence choices are there for the purpose of matching up the amp with various speakers and vice versa. when in doubt-read the manual or call the manufacturer or distributor and ask for product support. The other factor here is damping. Damping refers to how efficiently the amplifier circuitry can move and put "the brakes" on a speakers motion. This effects the overall tonality-especially in the low end area. I believe a lower impedence (since it is less resistant and more "open") will have a looser feel than a higher impedence. I am not 100% on that but I'm pretty sure that's the order of it.

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Well, I do know that you can mix and match impedence as much you want provided that the output ohms are lower than the ohms of the speaker. So you can connect a 16 ohm speaker to an 8 ohm output, but you can't connect a 16 ohm output to an 8 ohm speaker. I actually tried running the 16 ohm 4x12 and the 8 ohm 1x18 through the two 4 ohm outputs on my head. And it sounded about the same.

I guess I probably need to pick up a crosser...

-Lance

Tags
ohm cab , ohm cabinet , ohm output , ohm speaker , triple recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode