Old Peavey Valve Amp and Laney Cab - need some help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 34
Old Peavey Valve Amp and Laney Cab - need some help

Apologies in advance, this is a long post. There are quite a few questions and I thought it was better than starting several seperate threads.

I picked up my old Peavey Mace VT head and Laney 4X10 cab from my brother's house last week. I have had them both for 22 years, and to be honest haven't played them in anger much in the last 10. I don't really know a thing about valve amps or cabinets, but there are some things I noticed that I could use some advice on.

http://nick-coumbe.fotopic.net/p66067427.html

After giving them both a good clean I opened up the cab to check everything. I found three Fane Speakers and a Celestion G10S

http://nick-coumbe.fotopic.net/p66067423.html
http://nick-coumbe.fotopic.net/p66067424.html

Only three of the speakers are wired in, which is how it must have been since I got it. The cab works, but it has never sounded amazing; this is probably why.

So the first question is, has anyone got any idea about these Fane speakers? Are they worth keeping etc etc. I have become a little bit suspicious that this might be originally a bass cab rather than a guitar unit (although the inclusion of the celestion suggests not). I can't really find any info on it to be honest, but it must be mid '80s.

The cab is in good condition and is very solid, so it is obviously worth keeping. It is completely closed back, so I suspect it has a very tight bottom end, which is what I like. Doing some research I suspect that a set of Celestion V30 will suit my requirements, although I do love Soldano amps and cabs, so I was thinking maybe some eminence speakers of some description. Maybe a mix of both? Wiring in parallel or series? Any thoughts on, or experience of those ideas?

The amp itself is a bit trickier. The functionality is good and everything works, including the footswitch. It has some good channel switching options, and a reverb and phaser, all of which fire up well. The clean sound is OK, but the preamp distortion is pretty crappy. I tried running a few things in and I think there is a way forward here, but it will need tweaking (that is definately for a different thread). There is some idle hum, which is loud but I suspect normal.

The main issue I noticed with this is that the middle 2 power valves are not lighting up, and to be honest it didn't seem quite as loud as I remember.

http://nick-coumbe.fotopic.net/p66067426.html

Does that mean they are bust?

Bearing in mind that I don't care about the ultimate volume, could I remove the two duds from the middle and replace with the 2 from the outside, or even just run with 1 pair of valves? Actually having less volume would be good as this thing is seriously loud when cranked.

I think that these are the original tubes and I read somewhere that Mike Soldano likes these particular models. I don't want to swap them all unless I really have to, but how would I know whether they need replacing or not?

http://nick-coumbe.fotopic.net/p66067425.html

Anyway, thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:13 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: Old Peavey Valve Amp and Laney Cab - need some help

I would say that two pairs of power tubes are dying/dead. However you have six power tubes, so I'm not sure which are pairs. In a regular four tube power section pairs are designated as this: XOOX

I suggest checking out this forum for more detailed answers. Good Luck!

http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=19
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM

I think she needs a retube - whether that's cost effective I don't know
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
I would say that two pairs of power tubes are dying/dead. However you have six power tubes, so I'm not sure which are pairs. In a regular four tube power section pairs are designated as this: XOOX

I suggest checking out this forum for more detailed answers. Good Luck!

http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=19
Thanks for that. I am pretty sure the layout is A B C C B A in terms of pair designation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I think she needs a retube - whether that's cost effective I don't know
Why a whole retube? Can I not just replace/remove the defunct tubes? I have certainly seen people suggest removal of the outside tubes to lower the volume on the peavey forum.

To be honest if it is £30+ a valve, probably not worth it.

The problem is with both the speaker and cab is that I couldn't in all good conscience sell them without repairing them first.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Definitely you need to replace the blown ones - but if they are all the same age and look to have been installed together they are likely all close to the same state as well (dead or dying). Also, you generally want to have a matched set of tubes in your amp, not just any 4 with the same letters on them, but again it depends on the value of the amp and what you can find around tube-wise.

I have an amp worth $200 on the open market that I would definitely sink $200 worth of tubes into (it's actually going off to Andy Fuchs shortly for tubes and a re-cap), but that's just one particular semi-rare amp that sounds fantastic. This one might not actually be worth the price of a full tube swap, which is why I said I don't know if it's cost effective.

Replace the dead ones and give it a go, and if it is greatly improved, you could have worse problems on your hands See if you can borrow a few tubes from a friend or something - most guys save the old tubes for one reason or another when they retube anyway, you might get lucky enough.

Tell us what kind of tubes have died and someone might send you a pair that they've swapped out for you to test/play with.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

The valves are 6l6GC STR387

They must be the originals I think, and I have heard that they are supposed to be good (Mike Soldano says so anyway).

I am pretty sure that they are in pairs from the middle out. I'll try swapping them out tomorrow and running with 4, see if that makes a difference. Unfortunately we have new neighbours who I don't want to upset so I won't be cranking it anytime soon! I'll talk to the dudes at PJ's in Portsmouth. They are bound to have some valves kicking around.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

OK. Well I just had a play with it. Before I swapped any valves out I tried reseating them and there were a few loose ones. The 2 middle valves aren't lighting up still but the hum has completely gone. It actually sounds a lot better even overdriven. Not great but definately better.

There is a lot of scratching type noises when some of the switches are turned so that means it probably needs a clean and the reverb is acting up, but I think it was anyway.

I think it is time to take it to an amp tech and get it looked at. Now it is working and sounding better I am prepared to spend some money on it. The clean sound is nice at least!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Just to update, I asked some advice at my regular guitar shop and we came up with the HT Dual

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdual.html

Which is basically a 2 channel valve preamp in a pedal.

The results so far are good, although I haven't cranked this up yet to see how it sounds at full tilt. I will post a review later once I have had a chance to hook it up to some recording gear.

Tags
6l6gc , laney 4x10 , peavey mace vt , valve not lighting up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode