Older Satch tones and the DS-1 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Older Satch tones and the DS-1

I'm looking at a use DS-1, these things are going for such bargain prices. It's MIT, not MIJ, so it might need some mods. He used the Keeley mod for while but as far as I know he stepped away from it later.

What I've always wondered is how he could get such beefy tone like in "Live in SF", where it still was his 30th anniv set clean and a DS-1 in front right ? Harmonics with heaps, sustain for days... just a slide over de strings is like screaming roar.

I totally agree that alot of his tone comes from his fingers, but what am I missing here ?

I also could never understand he mostly didn't use (boosted) lead channels on amps or am I wrong ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 PM

Re: Older Satch tones and the DS-1

Never underestimate the sheer tonal awesomness of big valve amps pushed up to 11.

So much of his sound depends on this, without it, DS1's can sound a bit thin.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 AM

pmike, listen to Sickbean!

a lot of what people think is good tone is really a very loud tube amp. It's doing multiple things that is simply imposable to do in your bedroom.

a key thing most people don't realize is how much air the speakers are moving when you turn an amp up really changes the performance of the speaker and the listening device (ie mic/human ears), even on the clean channel when you turn the amp up the tubes in the amp are compressing the signal and adding harmonics and overtones, the mic is picking up certain frequencies, the mixer in the studio/post production is then shaping more of the tone with an eq of some sorts.

In short there are many factors why you can have the same equipment and not get anywhere close to the same sound. I can tell you first hand that getting a decent amp with tubes and turnin the thing up to 5 or louder can really make a big difference.

The DS-1 is a good starting platform and it's super cheap, a modded one is even better in some ways and his Satchurator is really a super modded DS-1 is disguise.

I'd say getting any 3 of the pedals will get you close and the rest is all in your fingers and how hard you're pushin a tube amp.

p.s. I'm not saying tube amps are superior to anything else, they just react differently than say a solid state amp or a digital amp (ie Line 6) which act more or less like a stereo with the volume rather than a tone shaping tool.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

yep tube amps rules.
Older Satch tones = Rockman.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2

Thanks for the tips.

Well I have (temporarily) some amps, 2 of them will go after I played a while with them and made my choice. In da house: DSL50, 6100ML, Carvin Legacy & V3. I'm getting a used DS-1 this weekend. Al already have a Satchurator, but it is clearly more of a sound after Super Colossal to me. Volume is always a bit of a problem of course... turning these amps up to 5 melts my windows. But thanks for the heads up.

About the Rockman... what Rockman's did he use ? In fact I didn't know the brand.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I use to have it a lonnnnnnng time ago rockman xp100.
Cheap as hell these days,almost for free.
Surfing with the alien was recorded with it.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...an/XP-100/10/1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode