The one players tone you most want. - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:24 AM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: The one players tone you most want.

Hopefully my very own!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:28 AM

Re: The one players tone you most want.

VH1 and/or Nuno on Extreme's first CD
post #18 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 AM

Top 3 would be
Eddie's from DLR era
Randy Rhoads from Over the Mountain
Brian May's from the Killer Queen solo
post #19 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 AM

Randy Rhoads tone is simply IMPOSIBLE, I gave up years ago...bought some old MXR and BOSS pedals...to no avail..... sound razor sharp and the top end its beyond this world...just listen to SATO, and then Cry...
post #20 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 AM

For me it's Timmons from any of the Ear Xtacy albums, and Doug Boyle on Robert Plant's Now and Zen.
post #21 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 AM

Vai's thats on the first g3 live with eric johnson/satriani dvd
its so amazing I love it so much
Or Oziel Zinho's tone, if you havent head of him he's an amazing underrated player you should check him out on the you tube, he plays a 350dx too
post #22 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:35 AM

Ozielzinho? Not really.
Everything he does has a touch of the awesome almighty EDU ARDANUY...
Anyway, Ozielzinho has some chops.
post #23 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:02 AM

Petruccis tone in the fan club show on change of seasons is classic and I'd love to have his tone on I & W.
post #24 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post
Randy Rhoads tone is simply IMPOSIBLE, I gave up years ago...bought some old MXR and BOSS pedals...to no avail..... sound razor sharp and the top end its beyond this world...just listen to SATO, and then Cry...
Randys tone came from his fingers and technique not the amp.

RG
post #25 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 10:34 AM

Not one of you is shooting for your own tone???? I guess using someone else's tone as a baseline is cool but jeez..... what about some individuality please! I guess I look at tone from an "amp/rig and what suites my playing" prospective. I want those shimmering Fender Twin clean tones for some things, That Dumble ODS singing note bloom for rhythm and some lead work and that Komet/Trainwreck touch responsiveness and note bloom into the upper harmonics for a harder rock tone. Ah.... hell just give me a good tube amp and guitar and I'll find a way to milk it!
Now who do I think has great tone????? EJ of course along with Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Santana, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sonny Landreth, Nuno Bettencourt, Vito Bratta, Pat Metheny, Albert Lee, Junior Brown...... Blah, blah, blah...... Bored yet?????
So when they make an amp that lets me emulate all them, I'll rush right out and buy it!
I think I'd do better just working my chops and keep learning different musical styles. Oh, and just be happy sounding like me.......

Last edited by jemplayer55; 12-28-2006 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling..... as usual!
post #26 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:22 PM

Reviews: 1

It's funny you say that Jemplayer55, I was just going to say that although I always admire other guys' tone, I don't think I'd want their sound, even if I could emulate it, it's THEIRS.

My overal sound mirrors a few of my favorite influences; Toss Gutherie Govan's sound at the Tone Merchant's gig + David Gilmour + a touch of Petrucci and Yngwie and you kinda have it. I go for less gain than I used to, I want to hear the guitar's tone more than I wanna hear how much drive I can get. The Triaxis shines there, you can dial back the gain, and really let your overall sound ring out.

I still get a pretty consistant tone despite using various pick up configs.
My Jem with Evo's still has an earthy sound to it. My Tone Zone equipped guitars sound GREAT as well. Those are the only 2 pickup combos I have right now. Jem/ EVO, RG/TZ RG7620/ EVO, RG2027/ TZ-7.
I guess I've learned how to best coax my sound from those two pickup models.

If you can get the sound out of your head and into your ears (along with everyone else's), I think you're doing ok.
post #27 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:37 PM

I'd have to be boring and say EVH, the ole "brown sound" as it were. Apart from that though, not much else. I love Yngwie's tone as well, it just has that "bell" like violin quality. So something in between those two sounds would be perfect. But as others have said, your own personal tone is what you want.
post #28 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Petrucci's is fairly easy with a Triaxis, 90/90 and a 2290...

Yngwie's tone on the origional CSFEGAO CD (not the Japan orchestra) is incredible, as well as Alchemy.
post #29 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Not one of you is shooting for your own tone????
We all need to start somewhere

For me at least, getting close to the tones I like, will help me get closer to a tone that is mine
post #30 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 03:37 PM

Andy Timmons' tone on songs like cry for you and a night to remember is fantastic.

Gary Moore's really fat distorted sound is great too

Tags
amp tone , andy timmons , boss digital delay , boss pedal , boss pedals , chuck schuldiner , clean tone , david gilmour , death metal , distorted tone , dweezil zappa , eddie van halen , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender twin , gary moore , gauge strings , guthrie govan , isp decimator , jack butler , jeff beck , jeff buckley , jerry cantrell , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , jsx combo , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , larry carlton , les paul , mesa amps , mesa nomad , mxr phase , nuno bettencourt , paf pro , pat metheny , paul gilberts , peavey classic , pickup combo , pink floyd , power amp , rack power amp , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , richie kotzen , richie sambora , robben ford , robert plant , satch tone , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , tone zone , triple rectifier , tube amp , van halen , vinnie moore , vito bratta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode