The one players tone you most want. - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM

Re: The one players tone you most want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Not one of you is shooting for your own tone???? I guess using someone else's tone as a baseline is cool but jeez..... what about some individuality please! I guess I look at tone from an "amp/rig and what suites my playing" prospective. I want those shimmering Fender Twin clean tones for some things, That Dumble ODS singing note bloom for rhythm and some lead work and that Komet/Trainwreck touch responsiveness and note bloom into the upper harmonics for a harder rock tone. Ah.... hell just give me a good tube amp and guitar and I'll find a way to milk it!
Now who do I think has great tone????? EJ of course along with Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Santana, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sonny Landreth, Nuno Bettencourt, Vito Bratta, Pat Metheny, Albert Lee, Junior Brown...... Blah, blah, blah...... Bored yet?????
So when they make an amp that lets me emulate all them, I'll rush right out and buy it!
I think I'd do better just working my chops and keep learning different musical styles. Oh, and just be happy sounding like me.......

wrong !

Hopefully my very own!!! - posted olie rocks the 80's

and you are both right...
I like lots of tones but they do not suit me, not Vai's, not Gilbert's and definiately not Satriani's...

but I think most of us listen to great tones and take a part of it with us - just like the licks we recycle for our own use - we use part of a tone and search for the rest of our very own tone ourselves !

It cost a lot of money and im still nowhere near it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM

Satriani..gotta luv that tone . Ijust aquired a Boss GT5 , so anyone with a nice satch type tone on the gt5 a text patch would be gr8
post #33 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1681 View Post
John Petrucci's tone on Pull me Under.

Scooped, tight, and raw, I love it
I have an '88 Boogie Mark III. gets that perfect Pull Me under tone.
post #34 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Not one of you is shooting for your own tone???? I guess using someone else's tone as a baseline is cool but jeez..... what about some individuality please! I guess I look at tone from an "amp/rig and what suites my playing" prospective. I want those shimmering Fender Twin clean tones for some things, That Dumble ODS singing note bloom for rhythm and some lead work and that Komet/Trainwreck touch responsiveness and note bloom into the upper harmonics for a harder rock tone. Ah.... hell just give me a good tube amp and guitar and I'll find a way to milk it!
Now who do I think has great tone????? EJ of course along with Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Santana, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sonny Landreth, Nuno Bettencourt, Vito Bratta, Pat Metheny, Albert Lee, Junior Brown...... Blah, blah, blah...... Bored yet?????
So when they make an amp that lets me emulate all them, I'll rush right out and buy it!
I think I'd do better just working my chops and keep learning different musical styles. Oh, and just be happy sounding like me.......

Exactly why I don't play a JEM7VWH. I don't want to develop a reputation as a "Vai copy". Same reason as to why I won't play an EVH Frankenstrat copy or an IbanED. Even if I never make it big, I still want to have a unique impact in music.
post #35 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM

You guys and your fancy guitarists

For heavy stuff, Dissection sort of sound (Jon whatever..)
For under-produced black metal, I'd go with Abyssic Hate's sound or Nargaroth in Rasluka I/II (both are one man projects...)
For death metal, Chuck Schuldiner on Symbolic or Tankard's sounds from the birthday album and newer (which is really thick and heavy)

It's all upto to the muse of which music I play, so far I've got one sound to do them all. Because it doesn't really matter.
I used to do black metal on a Squier with a Boss amp running the gain on 10. Felt like the most evil thing ever. Then I've learned what distortion is, properly...
post #36 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
I have an '88 Boogie Mark III. gets that perfect Pull Me under tone.
I'm dying to try a MKIV. The Recto just isn't cutting it lately
post #37 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 10:56 PM

There are times when I really want to get a Gilmour sound, or maybe a Warren Hayes sound, but I've never really been after it. I usually get something similar, but with different qualities.

In terms of completely individual tone, I love the sounds I get from my DY's PAF pro's straight to my Mesa distortion - you can really tame both to cover a lot of ground! But I've been a bit of a single-coil man recently, so I'm experimenting with more transparent, thinner sounds
post #38 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: The one players tone you most want.

Quote:

Go back and read again mate!!! I said I wanted my OWN. No use in coping someone else's
post #39 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:53 AM
Dee

Somewhere between Holdsworth and Govan.
post #40 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:34 AM

Nuno Bettencourt's is my favorite, especially like on the songs He man Woman Hater and Decadence Dance. His guitar, distortion, tone, everything sounds so awesome. My second would be Slash, I love the way his guitar sounds on the Appetite for Destruction album....
post #41 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:03 AM

I'd rather sound like myself, but I wouldn't mind having Eric Johnson's tone available to me...
post #42 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
Go back and read again mate!!! I said I wanted my OWN. No use in coping someone else's
Sorry Olie...... You were the only one who said anything about sounding individual at the time I posted. I guess I was referring to everyone else and you just got "lost" in the big picture. My mistake for not offering kudos!

post #43 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 18

My favorite tones:

Joe Satriani (an overall great sound and I'm hoping to get it out of my jsx combo soon)

Eric Johnson (That sound is completely mind blowing and I wish I could have that tone at my disposal whenever)

Carlos Santana (the sustain Carlos puts into his playing just makes me wish I could replicate that everytime)

All and all, I wish I could have that sound at my disposal so I could play like myself and do my own solos and leads with those types of tones.

Jimmy
post #44 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS View Post
Nuno Bettencourt's is my favorite, especially like on the songs He man Woman Hater and Decadence Dance. His guitar, distortion, tone, everything sounds so awesome. My second would be Slash, I love the way his guitar sounds on the Appetite for Destruction album....

Really? I always thought Slash's tone was awful and very plain.
post #45 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Reviews: 18

It is. For the most part, his tone consists of his les paul and his marshall.

Tags
amp tone , andy timmons , boss digital delay , boss pedal , boss pedals , chuck schuldiner , clean tone , david gilmour , death metal , distorted tone , dweezil zappa , eddie van halen , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender twin , gary moore , gauge strings , guthrie govan , isp decimator , jack butler , jeff beck , jeff buckley , jerry cantrell , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , jsx combo , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , larry carlton , les paul , mesa amps , mesa nomad , mxr phase , nuno bettencourt , paf pro , pat metheny , paul gilberts , peavey classic , pickup combo , pink floyd , power amp , rack power amp , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , richie kotzen , richie sambora , robben ford , robert plant , satch tone , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , tone zone , triple rectifier , tube amp , van halen , vinnie moore , vito bratta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode