The one players tone you most want. - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 PM

Re: The one players tone you most want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Not one of you is shooting for your own tone???? I guess using someone else's tone as a baseline is cool but jeez..... what about some individuality please! I guess I look at tone from an "amp/rig and what suites my playing" prospective. I want those shimmering Fender Twin clean tones for some things, That Dumble ODS singing note bloom for rhythm and some lead work and that Komet/Trainwreck touch responsiveness and note bloom into the upper harmonics for a harder rock tone. Ah.... hell just give me a good tube amp and guitar and I'll find a way to milk it!
Now who do I think has great tone????? EJ of course along with Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Santana, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sonny Landreth, Nuno Bettencourt, Vito Bratta, Pat Metheny, Albert Lee, Junior Brown...... Blah, blah, blah...... Bored yet?????
So when they make an amp that lets me emulate all them, I'll rush right out and buy it!
I think I'd do better just working my chops and keep learning different musical styles. Oh, and just be happy sounding like me.......

Well, the question WAS "The One Players...", meaning someone other than yourselves, so, yeah, we are gonna mention someone elses, cause, well, that was what was ASKED of us. Doesn't mean we all want those tones, exclusively. It just means we really LIKE them the most. At least that's how I took it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:24 PM

Yeah. When I set up my EQ and drive (and everything else) I don't really try to sound like anyone. I sound like myself.

But just like Racerx2k said, the question was who would you like to sound like. And you have to admit that some people out there has a killer tone that you wouldn't mind having.

(Saying no won't make you any more right. It will make you a liar )
post #48 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Not one of you is shooting for your own tone???? I guess using someone else's tone as a baseline is cool but jeez..... what about some individuality please! I guess I look at tone from an "amp/rig and what suites my playing" prospective. I want those shimmering Fender Twin clean tones for some things, That Dumble ODS singing note bloom for rhythm and some lead work and that Komet/Trainwreck touch responsiveness and note bloom into the upper harmonics for a harder rock tone. Ah.... hell just give me a good tube amp and guitar and I'll find a way to milk it!
Now who do I think has great tone????? EJ of course along with Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Santana, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Ronnie Montrose, Sonny Landreth, Nuno Bettencourt, Vito Bratta, Pat Metheny, Albert Lee, Junior Brown...... Blah, blah, blah...... Bored yet?????
So when they make an amp that lets me emulate all them, I'll rush right out and buy it!
I think I'd do better just working my chops and keep learning different musical styles. Oh, and just be happy sounding like me.......

I think you are confusing "Tone" withe "Style". I'm not sure anyone here wants to copy the "sound" of anyone else. When I'm out demo'ing amps, or buying a guitar. I have as a benchmark a tone I'm looking for. It would make no sense to try to buy and amp with a tone I've never heard before simply for the sake of being different. I don't want to copy anyones style. But when I hear Timmons, and I consider some of my tonal inflections, I think his amp tone would work well for me. I used to try hard to get Brad Gillis's tone from Night Ranger. I had the Boogie's and all, but sense it comes alot from the hands, it just wasn't happening. But I'm talking amp tone here. As in, Who's amp tone do you most want?
post #49 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:14 PM

i think closest to vai's. whether it be a marshall or carvin i think what it is more is how upfront(?) his guitars sound. i think its more how its recorded too, but its also the amp as well. i want a sound that doesnt change clean, distorted, effected, whatever. for example, boston rain melody how the guitar goes from clean to distorted but doesnt seem like theres a change made elsewhere than the hands (to those who dont know how his system works). same for effects... i dont want it to sound like "oh he's using a flanger effects" or etc. i want it to sound colored but fluid and from the player not the amp or effect pedal.
post #50 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 PM

Guthrie's.

Although that's definately in his fingers and pick attack.
post #51 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:06 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: The one players tone you most want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I think you are confusing "Tone" withe "Style". I'm not sure anyone here wants to copy the "sound" of anyone else. When I'm out demo'ing amps, or buying a guitar. I have as a benchmark a tone I'm looking for. It would make no sense to try to buy and amp with a tone I've never heard before simply for the sake of being different. I don't want to copy anyones style. But when I hear Timmons, and I consider some of my tonal inflections, I think his amp tone would work well for me. I used to try hard to get Brad Gillis's tone from Night Ranger. I had the Boogie's and all, but sense it comes alot from the hands, it just wasn't happening. But I'm talking amp tone here. As in, Who's amp tone do you most want?
Sorry but you are the one who is confused! style and tone are different things, for example you can play "Comfortably Numb" and play it accurately now that doesn't mean you can play it with the same tone Gilmour did, you can try and fail miserably and even if you can replicate the sound exactly Do you always want to sound like him??? then you'd be nothing but a clone and that is the point Jemplayer55 was trying to make.
post #52 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM

I've always love chris impelliteri's tone, can anybody tell me what rig is he using,
post #53 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 AM

I really like Petrucci's tone in The Stretch from the Liquid Tension album.
post #54 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Darin...... no confusion here, let me give you an example. For instance EJ, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Carlos Santana and Sonny Landreth have all used Dumble amps at some point or another. Same with Marshall (older JTM 45's, JTM 50's, model 1959SLP and 1987X heads) for example have been the standard for many a "rock legend" to "get their tone"! Randall Smith got his start trying to give players a cross between several amps. How do I know??? Well, I had several conversations with both Randall and Ravene Smith when I purchased my first Boogie. They were trying to offer musicians an amp that offered a broader "tonal" range than just your typical "British" or "West Coast" tone. Randall wanted to combine the best of both worlds.
Then you throw in the Trainwreck...... and you'd be surprised at what albums those amps were used on. Probibaly the most noted is the early Brian Adams releases. Maybe someone needs to ask If Billy Gibbons ever plugged into one. Heck, Ken Fischer was an amp genius. (unfortunately we just lost him this last weekend..... RIP Ken Fischer) Some of his first work was at Ampeg..... another amp I used for several years (Ampeg V-4's) and man those things were great amps as long as you could crank them. I remember using one 4X12 cab loaded with Altec Lansings and one 4X12 loaded with Electro-Voice SRO's miking both cabinets and "blending" them in the mix for a unique guitar tone.
So no...... no confusion here between player "style/technique" and achieving great guitar tone. Tone is a very subjective issue among players. You want good tone???? Sure get good equipment, but bottom line is the bulk comes from the player and his inflection. I can't sound exactly like EJ but I'd bet he can't sound exactly like me either. Truly great tone comes from lots of practice and technical versatility, experimenting with different amps and speaker combinations and most importantly YOU! Since I believe the real path to great tone involves three simple elements Your attitude, your capability, and lastly what you plug into. Keep pickin and a grinnin......

Last edited by jemplayer55; 12-30-2006 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling, damn it!
post #55 of 161 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:58 PM

In modern sounding sense I like Petrucci's tone the most.
Zakk Wlyde is also very close when it comes to huge good old marshall wall of sound.I like his tone very much.Very ballsy,like his playing style as well.
Satriani's sound from his early album(while he used marshalls) is also very good to my ear.
In more traditional sense I worship two gods the most,and they are:
Eddie Van Halen and Brian May.Those guys really kick some serios ass with their tone.

But when it comes to my personal sound,I think there is no big similarities with any of those guys I listed above.I am very dedicated to making my own style and the longer I play I actually realise that I sound very similar on almost any rig I play.That's a good sign I guess.
I think if we invest a big amount of time in our search for "ultimate tone"(tm) ,we actually play less.And that's not the point.
post #56 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
Well, the question WAS "The One Players...", meaning someone other than yourselves, so, yeah, we are gonna mention someone elses, cause, well, that was what was ASKED of us. Doesn't mean we all want those tones, exclusively. It just means we really LIKE them the most. At least that's how I took it.
Racerx2K...... sorry man, but you're the one who chose to segment and define the actual question this thread is about. The thread is about: "The one players tone you most want."....... simply put and like "Olie" stated, my own!
post #57 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
al.

Slash, richie sambora and satriani all in one..

pretty much what im aiming for now

Ej cleans definitly..
post #58 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 7

I don't really have the ambition to replicate anyone's tone, but rather I try to get the best out of what I have and I'm usually too lazy to mess around with them just to play someone else song and sound close to them. Other than that I love Gilbert's tone during the solo in technical difficulties...
post #59 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:09 AM

i love simple tones. faves would have to be richie kotzen, nuno bettencourt or the great steve morse
post #60 of 161 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 11:19 AM

im not one to sit there and tweak his amp for hours trying to sound like someone else (which is near impossible most of the time anyhow), but i really dig the tone of greg howe, steve morse, and john petrucci, each for different reasons. oh, and guthrie govan, good god haha

Tags
amp tone , andy timmons , boss digital delay , boss pedal , boss pedals , chuck schuldiner , clean tone , david gilmour , death metal , distorted tone , dweezil zappa , eddie van halen , equipped guitar , eric clapton , eric johnson , fender twin , gary moore , gauge strings , guthrie govan , isp decimator , jack butler , jeff beck , jeff buckley , jerry cantrell , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , jsx combo , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , larry carlton , les paul , mesa amps , mesa nomad , mxr phase , nuno bettencourt , paf pro , pat metheny , paul gilberts , peavey classic , pickup combo , pink floyd , power amp , rack power amp , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , richie kotzen , richie sambora , robben ford , robert plant , satch tone , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , tone zone , triple rectifier , tube amp , van halen , vinnie moore , vito bratta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode