Which one of these Marshalls? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Which one of these Marshalls?

I wanna buy a Marshall but im low on cash. Which would be better for jamming with a band, MG100DFX combo or a MG250DFX stereo combo?
I use pedals. And i play heavy stuff like megadeth and iron maiden. but also satch or vai...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Re: Which one of these Marshalls?

i think you may need to expand your options . You can get a lot more what what you'd on the mgs.

take a look at your options . Have you played an mg before ? If you have any you like it then i'd go with 250 but like i said you can get a better amp for the same amount .
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

wat do u suggest? (jra2217)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:49 AM

Well, let's start more basic - why do you want to buy a Marshall? And wha's your price range?

-D
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Well, let's start more basic - why do you want to buy a Marshall? And wha's your price range?

-D
i already own a marshall and im satified but its not big enough... IM still deciding on weither to get another one or not, so it doesnt have to be a marshall. my price range is from $500- $650... yea not alot but i need something BIGGER than my little 30watt!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 PM

I suggest you should really expand your options like said above. I own a MG250DFX and my friend has a MG100DFX, both are pretty bad, i can't wait to sell mine!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
rgr

A 30W tube amp will wipe the floor with your 30W SS combo (I'm guessing that's what you have now). First of all, where are you? Are you looking for a combo or a head and cab? I would suggest a head and 2-12 cab, but that's just my opinion. I would also suggest neither of the amps you have listed as choices. If you want a solid state head, you're going to need around 200W, if you want a tube head, 30 - 50W will be fine. Yes, 1W = 1W, but tube heads project better and you can run them harder. In your price range, I would look at maybe a head and an Avatar cabinet, you can get a 2-12 loaded with your choice of Eminence speakers for $303 shipped to your door (www.avatarspeakers.com). For a head, Randalls are a good choice for solid state, you can probably also find good deals on used Laney's, Ampeg VL's, Red Bears, and some others if you are willing to do some research and searching around that auction site. With a little work, you can put together a pro sounding setup in your budget.

Roger
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 PM

I would get neither of those Marshall's. I would get the Tech 21 Trademark 30 for $450 new! I think it's a tube amp, I know the Trademark 300 (watt) Head is. Listen to the little thing scream!

http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/tm30...ademark_30.mp3

From there website at: http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html

First 30 seconds:
Rhythm: Tyler Classic (strat type)
Lead: Same guitar
Rhythm Guitar: "Fender Clean" setting from owner's manual
Lead Guitar: "SRV" setting from owner's manual

Middle section:
Rhythm: Tyler Studio elite
Lead: Same Guitar
Rhythm Guitar: "AC/DC" setting from owner's manual
Lead Guitar: "Van Halen" setting from owner's manual

Last section:
Rhythm: Les Paul Classic
Lead: Same guitar
Rhythm Guitar: "Metallica" setting from owner's manual
Lead Guitar: "Mesa/Boogie" setting from owner's manualAll delays were done at the board (post recording); no compression and/or EQ was used for the guitars.

All tracks written, performed and produced by Alex Garcia.

Note: Names of sample settings from the owner's manual are intended for descriptive purposes only and should not be construed as an endorsement or affiliation with the companies or artists named.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

damn that sounds awesome!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Playing alone the solid state amps sound great, but when competing with bass and drums a tube amp will cut better with a fatter sound.

Crate has some decent tube combos cheap, as does Fender and of course, a used Marshall 401 would fit the bill. Look in your local clasified ads- that way you can go try it first..
Good luck!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:09 PM

you could score a good solid state/moderate tube head, and a decent cabinet, for under 600 bucks, or at least i did.

my first 'real' rig was a marshall VS200, a hybrid amp, and a peavy ultra 4x12 cab, head was 225, cab was like 100 (it was in bad cosmetic shape, but it worked)

if you can score a good tube amp, DO IT, they make a big difference
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 02:30 AM

ill sell you my marshall mg100hdfx head its a couple months old with xtra warrentee. and ill throw in boss mt-2 metal zone pedal

Tags
iron maiden , les paul , les paul classic , solid state amp , solid state amps , solid state head , tube amp , tube combo , tube combos , tube head , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode