Open or Closed Back Cabs - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

View Poll Results: Open Back vs. Closed
Open 6 46.15%
Closed 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Open or Closed Back Cabs

Which do you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Re: Open or Closed Back Cabs

I like the sound of open backed cabinets more, but I wouldn't want to risk damaging my speakers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM

I like closed back cabs.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM

open, more "roomy sound"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 06:55 PM

Closed are my way to go - anywhere,anytime.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Definitely OPEN for the Carvin Legacy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure what the technical advantages vs disadvantages are of the two. But I can see where both would be applicable. This is all just guess-work though, please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks !

Open back cabs bleed more sound around them, so the sound can seemingly fill the room up more evenly in all directions. So IMO a small club setting open back is the way to go because you can turn up a bit and not have to worry so much about bombarding the people right in front of you with such a directional sound like you'd get with a closed back.

Not saying open backs aren't usable in huge stages, open vs closed back changes the over-all feel of the amp as well, so it's more to taste than anything else IMO.

Closed backs though, I think can make recording easier. Since hardly any sound is going to be leaked out the back, most of the freq. will be coming out the front, so miking a closed back would potentially give you a fuller tone. I've actually heard of people who mike both the front and the back of open back amps, so I can't be too far off the dot on this one lol.

But still, there are great open back combos and closed back cabinets out there, all of them sound great, I don't think one is inherently -better- than the other, though in certain applications one may be more ideal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode