opinions on Boss GT8 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

opinions on Boss GT8

if you own one and have used it for live situations, what is your experience?
i normally have my pedals, which i prefer above all else, and am getting the GT8 as a backup and for gigs i don't want to take my pedal board ($1400 or so invested in it) to. my band might be playing overseas and i'm nervous about shipping my pedal board with that much cash invested in it. i'm hoping i can get enough sounds to be able to pull off the same or similar stuff with the GT8.
i saw the demo first hand last winter NAMM and was pretty amazed but have had little time on the unit myself. i like the features but want to know what people who already own and have been using it for live situations think and how they are using it (dual combos, head & 4x12, tubes, SS, ect.).
thanks in advance.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 09:43 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: opinions on Boss GT8

well i have gt8 and it's very versatile and really best sounding processor i've playd. GT8's sound is very close to tube amps. effects are really VERY good sounding.

now about live gigs. at home i play normally but i prefer to play with extra MIDI pedalboard, i have 6 button pedalboard with assigned functions (solo switsh, tunner, dalay switch, dist switch....etc) and it's very versatile!

so IMO GT-8 is best sounding processor!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 PM

Well, for starters, let me say that the GT8 is a heck of a value (in terms of # of effects for the money), and it is extremely flexible when set up using the 4-cable method described on the Boss GT Central website. It's considerably more flexible than the GT-6.

However, I had a GT-8 for several weeks and ended up sending it back... I thought it sucked too much tone--clean tones had a slight distorted overtone, and amp's dynamics seemed to suffer as well. I tried it with both a tube 2x12 combo and a tube rack pre/power amp rig, but neither was considerably better/worse.

After I returned the GT-8 I got a Lexicon G2/R1 rig, which isn't as convenient or inexpensive as the GT-8, but to me the FX quality, transparency, and dynamics are better.

--B
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 10:01 PM

I have a friend that is getting one. He says it's awesome from what he's seen and heard. I cant wait until he gets it so I can try it out.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
Well, for starters, let me say that the GT8 is a heck of a value (in terms of # of effects for the money), and it is extremely flexible when set up using the 4-cable method described on the Boss GT Central website. It's considerably more flexible than the GT-6.

However, I had a GT-8 for several weeks and ended up sending it back... I thought it sucked too much tone--clean tones had a slight distorted overtone, and amp's dynamics seemed to suffer as well. I tried it with both a tube 2x12 combo and a tube rack pre/power amp rig, but neither was considerably better/worse.

After I returned the GT-8 I got a Lexicon G2/R1 rig, which isn't as convenient or inexpensive as the GT-8, but to me the FX quality, transparency, and dynamics are better.

--B
thanks guys for the responses so far. every little bit of info is helpful.
i have heard/read about the 4 cable method (haven't read exactly what it is yet - but i'm sure i will by weeks end). did you try running it direct into your amp (front end)? i have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reissue and run ALL my current pedals in the front end and get amazing results. it (Fender Deluxe) doesn't have a gain channel so all my gain needs are from a Hot British Tone Bone pedal (highly recommend). i'm hoping with the spanking clean tube amp that the FX can be dialed in to work well and be useful. i get very natural FX and gain sounds currently and really am not looking to even try to improve upon my sounds (couldn't expect to improve upon my current setup) but hopefully get as close as possible to the usefulness that i currently have for my set up with the GT8 as a backup.
i am hoping the TS9 overdrive works as well as mine (big shoes to fill there) and some of the cool stuff i can do with my DD20 (warp, 23 second loop, ect) and of course my EVH Phase 90. i have yet to be impressed with the phase sound Boss has - it's cool but NOT anything like the Phase 90.
i'm worried that i will have to implement some of my pedals into the set up which is really what i'm trying to avoid. i have my original Phase 90 that was replaced with the EVH version that is now in my pedal board i could use but again, i'm trying to have an effective back up without all the extra stuff.
i guess i'm hearing the same here (so far) as i've heard/read elsewhere which is 50/50 on effective usefulness of tones/sounds. this kinda makes me think i won't know 100% until it arrives and i take a few hours tweaking settings to what i need.
does anyone have another good alternative for a floor unit?
this is my current set up i'm looking to (try) to achieve with a floor unit:
Boss TU-2 (tuner) - Boss V-Wah (wah sound and uni-vibe) - Tone Bone Hot British (12ax7 - you have to love the real tube dist!) - TS9 Tube Screamer - EVH Phase 90 (awesome pedal! looks cool too!) - Digitech Synth Wah (great Joe Walsh voice box sound ala Rocky Mt Way) - Boss DD20 Giga Delay.
this set up gets every sound i need and has real tone. i know i wouldn't find something to be an exact replacement but something that would allow me to get as close as humanly possible to being a great "fill-in" in place of my board.
i might be asking too much.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:28 AM

I did try to use my GT6 in front of an amp before I discovered the GT8 and was not overly impressed, but I was using it only for FX (no modeling) in front of relatively high-gain amps (e.g., Egnater TOL100, Mesa Mark IV). Personally, I don't like how FX like delay and reverb sound in front of an amp, though, so that colored my impression considerably. The four-cable method allowed me to put all the FX where I wanted them, so it was a big improvement IMO.

I used to have a Fender DR, though, and based on my experience it could sound really good with the GT6/8--particularly through the first channel (the one with no gain structure). I never liked how my J-Station or V-Amp sounded with other combos, but both of them sounded quite good with the DR.

--B
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:04 AM

I just picked up the BOSS GT PRO which is the studio version of the GT8 with a lot more recording features. I understand that the sounds are supposed to be the same as the GT8. Let me tell you, this thing sounds awesome - way better than the POD (which I've owned and since sold). It's a very natural warm sound no "digital-ness", if that's a word!! I have a Mesa Triple Recto which I love, but this thing just is so much more versatile while sounding better.

G
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 06:01 PM

I love the GT-8, but if you want effects only, then I would suggest getting a rackmount effects processor like a TC Electronics G Major or Rocktron Intellifex and then getting a midi footswitch.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 02:35 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriK
I love the GT-8, but if you want effects only, then I would suggest getting a rackmount effects processor like a TC Electronics G Major or Rocktron Intellifex and then getting a midi footswitch.
+1
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:23 AM

I've got the GT-Pro aswell for the last 6 months, and I'm delighted with it. The sounds are superb, and the configuration is simplistic. I like the USB link for patch programming, and digital recording, the mesa sounds on board are lush, and the multieffects are complete. I don't think there's a single effect I've ever wanted that's not there. Combined with my sustainiac, I don't think I'll be changing kit in a long long time.

Owen.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

since i use a clean tube amp - no gain channel - the gain settings need to be dynamic and toneful. i know i'm asking a lot from an FX board priced under $500 but i didn't want to shell out the same $ as i have invested in my pedal board set up.
i actually get great delay sounds running them in front of my amp as opposed to the FX loop. i'm guessing if you had bad delay sounds thru the front of your amp it might be that the gain/dist is after the delay - just a guess. running my pedals in the order i have them listed (guitar to tuner, ect.) is very natural and smooth and work wonderfully together. the only problems i ever run into is having to change volume levels in different clubs/bars. being a tube amp as the main part of the rig i have to set the volume at enough to "open-up" the tubes to achieve its sweet clean tube tone which sometimes is a little loud for some of the venues we play. i end up readjusting my levels on my Tone Bone and TS-9 below (having a brain fart on what it is called to have the volumes equal - i remebered it is called "unity gain" DOH!!! LOL!), which messes with how all the pedals react and the overall tone of my rig.
i hope the GT8 arrives today/soon as i'm going out of town for a couple gigs and it would be nice to be able to tweak knobs and learn about it while i have all the down time during the day at the hotel (small town - hicksville middle of nowhere). i would bring my Tech21 Trademark 10 practice/studio amp just for fun and portability.
thanks for the help and anyone else that has ideas or experience with the GT8, please add to the comments. i'll check back when i get home from the gigs. have a great weekend gang!

Last edited by screamndemon69; 12-21-2005 at 10:24 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

my GT8 arrived this past Sunday so i'm still trying to get my feet wet working with it. it is packed with lots of useful stuff and good sounds. i really feel spoiled with my pedals to be able to achieve such a variety of sounds so easily as compared to the amount of time it is taking to set the GT8 for basic sounds ( clean>crunch>delay).
the phaser sounds interesting but doesn't come close to the real Phase 90 sound, which i knew before i tried it in the GT8. i like the Gain sounds and variety of OD and DIST it has but my Tone Bone Hot Britsh still smokes them - it just sounds thicker and more natural.
so far here's what i know i won't be able to get close to with the GT8 compared with my current pedals:
-real controllable feedback: if you take out the noise suppressors it is just WAY too noisey and the "fake" feedback simulator is a true freak of nature and of NO use to me.
-Phaser is cool but NOT anything like the Phase 90
-the Humanizer can't get a real voice box sound like i get in my Digitech Synth Wah pedal ala Peter Frampton or Joe Walsh.
-tremelo isn't quite right: can't put my finger on it exactly but it just isn't very natural.
-setting the volumes isn't easily done. i've been trying to get decent levels and it is pretty tricky. it does help to have the EXP pedal set to a volume pedal as default with most of the sounds. this is still an important issue as a jump in volume during a song can really "f" up the vibe and overall smootheness of the song. unity gain is very important but a difficult or at least tricky task on the GT8
i plan to keep at it and maybe i'll still get this unit to conform to what i need. we play soo much different stuff that it is going to take a lot of time to really dial this thing in to actually be comfortable enough to use it on stage.
i have a true appreciation for my pedals and pedal board after toying with this thing. my rig is really the sh*t as far as ease of use and quality of sounds. i'm spoiled with the Tone Bone gain (tube driven), Phase 90, DD-20 (this pedal is sooo loaded it's really sick!), tube tremelo in my Fender 65 Reverb Deluxe (can't beat the real deal) and the ability to change, add or subtract ANY sound on the fly. suprisingly enough with all this technology Boss has put into the GT8, i can actually achieve MOST of it with my current pedals - the picking dynamic thing that changes amp and FX is just about the ONLY thing i can't do.
i'll keep updateing on my progress - thanks guys.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 12-21-2005 at 10:25 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

i'm sending it back. it's just not for me. i guess if it was my first or second processor it would be fine but i've owned too much stuff to really appreciate it. it's got a lot of stuff in it but i just can't come close to the dynamics and control i have with my current set up.
i will need to save some serious $ to either buy a couple of the key pedals i use for back ups or possibly look into the new G major floorboard. i will probably start saving to get a full set up that is as close to what i currently have as possible - expensive and redundant but if something was ever to happen to my rig i would be in trouble as i depend on it for part of my income.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 01-20-2006 at 09:13 AM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:30 AM

I've got a GT-6 and it's cool and good for a mess about but I dont use it with my tube amps since i like overdriving the tubes and when you do that, delay ect has to be in the loop, which means i can only use that or the wah depending where I put it. So i just take a cry baby and DD-6 out with me for the tube amps.

But this 4 cable method for the GT-8 sounds interesting, tell me about it guys, what is it?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:12 AM

bossgtcentral.com has some info on it. The GT-6 has digital DS which I wouldn't be too excited about. GT-8/Pro made the right decision to switch back to analog, which is a huge plus IMO. I personally never tried the GT-8, but from the NAMM demos I liked what I saw.

Still..most multi efx racks/floorboards still don't cut it, even for the price. The POD was a disappointment to me. The only multiefx unit that has impressed me so far is the rocktron chameleon. I still love it

Tags
clean tone , distortion pedal , egnater tol , evh phase , fender deluxe , mesa mark , mesa mark iii , midi foot , midi pedal , neck pup , noise suppressor , pedal board , power amp , rack pre , rocktron chameleon , rocktron intellifex , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube tone , volume pedal , wah pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode