opinions on the Engl/mesa cabinets - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

opinions on the Engl/mesa cabinets

??

I have a mark IV, i also have an marshall 2X12 cab but i want to leave it at the rehearsal room and get a better cab for my studio/recording and maybe giging needs

i want a 2X12 and i think that Mesa Cabinets are too expensive (about 800e) when i can find an Engl 2X12 cab with V30 with about 550e

the bad think is that i cannot try them, so i have to trust on you...

any idea how does the eng and mesa compared?

any recomendations? i want something very good, i can buy the mesa, but i want to make sure the price difference equals in better sound/construction

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:42 PM

Re: opinions on the Engl/mesa cabinets

i dont' know anything about engls. but i have played my Mark IV head through mesa 1x12s (3/4 and 1/2 backs) and a Marshall 1960A 4x12. and i really felt that the mesa cabs sounded much much much better than the marshall 4x12. so i think i mesa cab will really improve the sound of the mark iv. really i can't imagine that the mesa recto cab is that much more than an engl cab. unless engl makes a terribly low end cab. I dunno what 800e translates to in USA dollars, but a brand new mesa recto 2x12 cab is only about 500 to 550 US
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 10:35 PM

Reviews: 6

I'm sure the Engl's will be fine. Over here most of the Engl amps cost more than Mesa's.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 03:51 AM

i own a classic engl 4x12 and my band member has the 2x12 and both are amazing cabs. he runs his Mk IV through the 2x12 and considered a mesa cab but felt the engl was better (not to mention cheaper). I may be biased as i love Engl to bits but theres my recommendation.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the answers.

the mesa is more expensive beacuse it comes from the US, the Engl is European and here its cheaper

i guess that i can consider the ENGL, but there is also something else, the ENGL is 16ohms and the Mark iV and recto cab are 8ohms, i guess that i can rewire the ENGL for 8ohms but i think that it will make it 60w..

what do you think?

the price difference is about 360$$, but dont consider that, if the mesa worth it, i can spend the money, but i dont want to spend all that money if i can get the same product with a lot less

anyone that has experience of both cabinets?

thank you
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 6

I like Mesa 3/4 back 2X12 cabinets (I have 2). If the Engl are series wired 16 ohm mono, then you can only rewire it stereo 8 ohms or parallel wired mono 4 ohms.

Tags
mesa cab , mesa cabs , mesa recto , ohm mono , recto cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode