opinions on line 6 spider IV HD 150 head - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

opinions on line 6 spider IV HD 150 head

So currently I'm not playing out, just recording in my studio with line 6 gear...spider III and pod pro, which I love! When I was playing out I had my pod pro rack connected to my mesa fifty fifty head and it was awesome. I really don't want to urack and rerack so thought about the new spider IV HD 150 head and selling the mesa. yes, I know, to some it sounds like sacrilege but it may be easier to just tote this head and go without extra racks and stuff. Just a thought. I love the sound of line 6 and I absolutely love my spider III tone. Anyone heard one of these heads? What do you think?
thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Re: opinions on line 6 spider IV HD 150 head

if you are getting rid of your mesa for a spider 4 why not get the spider valve mkII or maybe
find a used vetta 2
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM

I second that guys thoughts.. if you love the Spider effects.. enjoy them in the Bogner designed amp. I have a Spider Valve half stack and the 1x12 combo. I used the 1x12 combo for gigging.. 45watts tube powered is more than enough. The tubes make for a better tone, trust me.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Reviews: 11

if you can find a way to get rid of that damn noise gate....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Go with your gut instincts, as it will be what you end up doing anyway (I've found that out with buying /selling gear). As for me, I just cannot get used to digital distortion, just doesn't respond the same as a real tube amp - but that is just me.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Don't ditch the mesa.. dial it in, use a noise gate add subtle effects.. it's way better IMHO in comparson to rack gear. Been there done that atitutude. I'm using a 2204 head with a Zoom G2 in front and this setup delivers tone and grind forever.

good luck,
Nelson
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsabino View Post
Don't ditch the mesa.. dial it in, use a noise gate add subtle effects.. it's way better IMHO in comparson to rack gear. Been there done that atitutude. I'm using a 2204 head with a Zoom G2 in front and this setup delivers tone and grind forever.

good luck,
Nelson
Hey Nelson, thanks for the info...what do you suggest I connect to the mesa fifty fifty?

To everyone else...I was actually reading on the spider valve mkII today at line 6 site...it looks perfect...lots of great reviews. There is also peavey's answer to the modeling with tube amp...can't remember the name of it, and it's cheaper: people love that as well.

Selling that mesa would get me close to the spider valve mkII with everything in one package.

The only thing I don't like about line 6 is it seems that once an amp stops working, you're done. I have the line 6 spider III 2X12 and it's AWESOME! BUT....every once in awhile there is this loud BANG or clipping that loops...like a popping sound every 2 seconds. constant rebooting finally resolves it. I sent it to line 6 and 4 weeks later got it back...same issue after a month. it's very intermittent so I wouldn't play live anywhere with it even though most of the time it's fine.

Last edited by shredmaster; 06-08-2011 at 08:57 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

peavey vypyr is the head
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM

this guy have some demonstration of peavey vypyr series check them out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mattrock.../6/eXHWGB1ZUWc

the vypyr with golden front uses tubes the one with silver don't
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM

I have been gigging with my Spider Valve 1x12 and half stock combo for 4 years now at least and never once ran into an issue with them failing live on me. Friend in another band had a Vyper that took control of its own volume while on stage.. went for quiet to blistering loud and back. If you think you're liking what you read.. go try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
Hey Nelson, thanks for the info...what do you suggest I connect to the mesa fifty fifty?

To everyone else...I was actually reading on the spider valve mkII today at line 6 site...it looks perfect...lots of great reviews. There is also peavey's answer to the modeling with tube amp...can't remember the name of it, and it's cheaper: people love that as well.

Selling that mesa would get me close to the spider valve mkII with everything in one package.

The only thing I don't like about line 6 is it seems that once an amp stops working, you're done. I have the line 6 spider III 2X12 and it's AWESOME! BUT....every once in awhile there is this loud BANG or clipping that loops...like a popping sound every 2 seconds. constant rebooting finally resolves it. I sent it to line 6 and 4 weeks later got it back...same issue after a month. it's very intermittent so I wouldn't play live anywhere with it even though most of the time it's fine.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys, i will either get another line 6 pod pro (used since they don't make them anymore, circa 2002?)...first pod rack, so i have a 2nd one for the mesa fifty fifty, or go with the mkII line 6 for tube
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 PM

Reviews: 120

The Spider Valve MkII 112 is a very cool amp. I reviewed it here. It is [email protected]&king loud too. Sounds reasonable at lower levels, the valve tone really sings when you crank it up.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Burn down line 6 factory, they are guilty of throwing in the world 1 billion guitarists with the same digital, sterile crap tone which sounds nowhere near to the amps they claim.
Well lucky them to become milionaire because of untalented people who wants to clone their idols tones.
Still..................burn that thing down lol
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 AM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Burn down line 6 factory, they are guilty of throwing in the world 1 billion guitarists with the same digital, sterile crap tone which sounds nowhere near to the amps they claim.
Well lucky them to become milionaire because of untalented people who wants to clone their idols tones.
Still..................burn that thing down lol
You've obviously not tried the Mk II Spider Valve out properly. The 1968 plexi Marshall model at high volume was particulary sweet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode