Opinions needed-preamps into a combo like a Mesa Nomad 45? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Opinions needed-preamps into a combo like a Mesa Nomad 45?

Ok guys,

I need some help. I need your honest opinions on whether running my
various preamps (including Triaxis, ADA MP-1 and Digitech GSP2101) through a combo amp such as the Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 2x12 is a good idea or a bad idea. At this point it appears that a decent separate power amp and cab is not going to happen due to finances. I have heard and read decent things about the tone of the Nomad 45 by itself and I was wondering if inserting the Triaxis into the effects loop would, in essence, give me the preamp tone of the TA with the power amp tone of a Boogie power amp (similar to a Mesa 20/20 I would think since it uses EL84 tubes)... plus I would get two Celestion 90s in a MB cab to boot! Is this a bad idea? Does this just sound completely stupid in terms of using rack gear into a combo amp? Should I just save my pennies (for a VERY long time I would think) and get the VHT 2/50/2 and Rectifier 4x12 that I REALLY want? At this point my Laney solid state combo isn't doing it with any of the preamps connected to the effects loop. It just is missing that "Boogie tone". Not to mention I think it is a 10" speaker in there and it farts any time I do any palm muting stuff.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jeff... who is hopefully going to play through a Nomad tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:40 PM

poweramp

I have a mesa 20/20 that I would trade for gear. Its clean and I dont use it.

Pete
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Banned

As you can see by my name, I am a junky...
I have tried just about every combination of gear you could imagine in the last 23 years. I do not suggest that you put a preamp into a combo. You will not be getting the full tone that is available from the pre or the combo. You would be much better off getting a really good distortion/overdrive pedal to use with the combo.
As for the power amp, go for a VHT 292 instead of the 252. It is far superior. All I use is VHT amps and cabinets now. I currently have a couple rack systems, and they all have at least one 292 amp in them.
Also the VHT 4x12 cabinet if far superior to the Boogie cabinet for sound quality and bottom end.
I'd save my money if I were you, and do it right.
I have a really great connection at VHT. I could help you out.
Steve
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
I have tried just about every combination of gear you could imagine in the last 23 years. I do not suggest that you put a preamp into a combo. You will not be getting the full tone that is available from the pre or the combo. You would be much better off getting a really good distortion/overdrive pedal to use with the combo.
As for the power amp, go for a VHT 292 instead of the 252. It is far superior. All I use is VHT amps and cabinets now. I currently have a couple rack systems, and they all have at least one 292 amp in them.
Also the VHT 4x12 cabinet if far superior to the Boogie cabinet for sound quality and bottom end.
I'd save my money if I were you, and do it right.
I have a really great connection at VHT. I could help you out.
Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the input. Here's the deal... unless your contact can do a 2502 for like $500, it's a no go. I can get one here in town for like $900 or something. The 2902 is WAY outta my league and complete overkill for someone who will not likely turn the amp past "1" or "2" at MOST. I already HAVE the preamps, so going amp + pedals or something is a no go. I do NOT plan on playing out. This is for my home, non-soundproofed studio ONLY. I will mic the cab in a closet if need be. If I DO end up gigging or something of that nature, a good combo would let me get usable tones and NOT have to drag my rack to where ever I was playing. Although at this point, my guess is that the only place I would be taking my stuff would be upstairs to jam with "Junior"... who isn't due into this world until June.

So do you completely disagree that the Mesa Combo would not give me a "similar" tonal experience to having a Mesa 20/20 amp into a Mesa 2x12 cab? I figured I could just set the clean channel on the Nomad nice and flat... nice and clean... then use the TriAxis or whatever to give me killer TriAxis tone. Yes, I know it's not the BEST solution... but I need something that actually does a GOOD job before my kid is born and all my "play money" gets turned into diapers and formula.

Thanks again,
Jeff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 12:31 AM
Banned

I pay about $700 for the 292's, I'll have to ask about the 252, but I'm sure it will be around or below $500.

If I was you, I'd just hook it up into the front of the amp and not the loop, and mess around with it.
If you get a good tone, you get a good tone.
Try it, you may like it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 12:52 AM

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I've got a boogie DC-10 100 watt head, and thought of either running a marshall JCM800 or JMP-1 pre into the fx return. Theoretically, this bypasses the boogie's preamp alltogether, leaving the Eq, presence, master and a 60/100 watt switch intact. Have a look at the Nomad's manual, it should tell you something similar.

Anyone know if you can run an older JCM800 (ones without the fx loop) out the speaker outs into an fx return? is that safe?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 02:02 AM

Hey...

I am a nomad lover and will jump at the chance to tell yo to get one however it might not be the best idea. If you want the tones of the preamps you already have then i really recommend you just get second hand power amp...running the pre into the fx does NOT completely bypass the pre-amp of the combo it still runs through the last valve so you're always gonna get some colouration.

So...i think a power amp and cab is perhaps the best tonewise and cheapest solution. The mesa 45 even used off ebay or something is likely to set you back nearly 700 buks. And i'm sure for around that much you could get a power amp and cab.

I mean the nomad is an amazing amp...and my persoanl opinion ditch all the preamps and just plug right into a nomad!! you'll fall in love with it i gaurantee! Especially the 45's with the extreme! mode.

But shop around i might be wrong with prices causes i live in england...huh this is the country where i paid nearly 2000 dollars for the nomad and that WAS discounted.

Hope it works out

track7
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:27 AM

Yeah, the Nomad is a great combo... are you sure that isn't a good enough tone as it is?

Anyway, i've screwed around with running my j-station into my mesa combo just for the hell of it, and i've found that i actually got the best tone running it straight into the input. You have to be careful with the output level from the preamp of course, but start with it at 0 and gradually turn up the output until you get it up to about the level you'd expect the amp to be putting out at the level you have the master set at. I tried going in through the fx return, and lost all high end and basically got mush. It was a really uninspiring tone... I was a little worried about putting the j-station out front, but i was quite suprised with the results.

Personally, i'd just stick with the nomad.

-Drew
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, guys. It seems like most of you think this is a bad idea. I was unaware (even after devouring the Nomad manual) that there was a preamp tube still involved in the circuit when plugging into the effects return.

Gearjunky... I sent you a private message... just FYI.

Thanks for the input.

Later,
Jeff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:19 AM
deleted username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
I have
[EDIT]....blah, blah, blah....[/EDIT]
out.
Steve
I can also see by your name that you might have finished the 9th Grade.
"Junky" refers to something crappy (see also: Daddy's Junky Music). I think you were going for "Junkie", which is a person addicted to something.
My suggestion to you is to save for a dictionary.

I see you, ValvulatorGP3.
You're not fooling anyone.

Jeff- email me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
I see you, ValvulatorGP3.
[]

And he's right on the spelling, dawg... serves me right for surfing this place drunk, lol, i didn't notice.

-Drew

Tags
amp tone , boogie nomad , combo amp , mesa boogie , mesa boogie nomad , overdrive pedal , palm muting , power amp , preamp tube , rack system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode