Opinions on Sansamp Classic or GT2 vs. POD? - Through a Fend - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on Sansamp Classic or GT2 vs. POD? - Through a Fend

I played recently at a jam where I let someone else use my pedalboard and '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. *The amp has a great clean tone, but putting a TS-9 and a DS-1 in front of it doesn't really give me the tones of a Marshall, a Bassman and a Boogie.

* Since that guy was using my amp, I used my POD and plugged it into the keyboard player's amp (Roland Kc-100). *We both thought the POD had a killer tone and I have previously tried the POD through a tube amp's power section (Hot Rod Deluxe) and didn't like the fact that I had to create different *patches for headphone vs. amp useage. * Through the keyboard amp, I could just use the patches I made through headphones and they sounded pretty good (good enough for my budget, anyways).

Now I am jealous of the versatility of the POD and want to have a Boogie tone, a JTM45 tone, a JCM800 tone and a Bassman tone in addition to the Deluxe Reverb's natural tone. * Since it sounded so good, I am _almost_ ready to ditch my '65 Deluxe Reverb and get a pair of Roland Kc-300's for the POD. *(forget flextones, that way I would have to upgrade the flextone AND pod and I like playing the POD straight to PA at my regular weekly gig)

So will a Sansamp save my amp? *I have heard that the tri-OD *is made for putting in front of an amp while the Classic and Gt-2 both have speaker simulations, but the classic has the best clean tones of the 3.

Does anyone use the sansamp classic or Gt-2 in front of a tube amp as a stomp box? or should I try the tri-od instead? *I am leaning towards the classic since I hear it is the best. *The cool thing is that the classic and Gt-2 can both go direct to the PA if my amp blows up and I don't have my POD with me. *If the samsamps do the Boogie/Bassman/Marshall thing pretty well then I will stick with my tube amp.

thanks

(Edited by ashlock at 2:41 am on June 29, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 04:30 AM

Opinions on Sansamp Classic or GT2 vs. POD?

Hi Ashlock,

back in those days when all I had was a crappy solid-states amp, I used my SansAmp GT2 to get a decent distortion out of the gear.

But nowadays I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and I find the SansAmp GT-2 totally irrelevant. I'd say its effect doesn't go well with a real tube amp. That 's quite logical, since IIRC the SansAmp is designed to emulate tube amps behaviour. However, it is not designed to modelize different brands and models, as the POD is.
Not really helping, eh ?

And as far as the 'my-amp-blew-up emergency kit' is concerned, I was never really satisfied with the GT-2 being plugged in anything else than a solid-state amp...

And one last thing, with the GT-2 and Classic, you have to tweak your settings manually each time you want to change your tone, this is not as easy/practical as a group of easily switchable patches like the POD can give.

Sorry for not being too much of a help...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on Sansamp Classic or GT2 vs. POD?

Thanks, that's actually a lot of help. *I will borrow one from a friend instead of just buying it then. *I guess the only way to get Boogie/Marshall/Bassman sounds is to either have 3 amps or just stick with my POD through a keyboard amp.

Tags
clean tone , stomp box , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode