Original Edge last forever? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Original Edge last forever?

I hear the knife edge inserts in the Original Edge trems especially the new ones are nearly indestructible and should last forever? I'm curious to know what the lifespan on average with moderate to heavy use of the trem is. Also whats the lifespan to the best of you experiences of the Original Floyd Rose. I know both trems are made out of hardened steel. I also have heard the steel that the Japanese use is some of the finest the world has ever seen. So I guess to conclude. Whats the average lifespan of the Original Edge under moderate to heavy use and whats the lifespan of the Original Floyd Rose under moderate to heavy use and being that they are both floating trems how would one compare to the other? In terms of durability and lifespan before replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Original Edge last forever?

unless there is gross defect or contributing incorrect setup, the Edge inserts (tremolo) will last many decades.

the (floating) OFRs i had mid 80s lasted pretty much a few months before wear and then required periodic filing due to the poor steel, smaller contact points, both inserts being curved & non-locking studs all of which contribute to the OFR knife edge erosion. Clearly Ibanez (Gotoh) studied the OFRs and saw these same defects cause they improve them significantly.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:52 PM

Nothing lasts forever but the Earth and Sky
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Wow!! Thanks so much for that response I'd be interested in hearing more opinions on this. Thats radical I had no idea the edge was the big of an improvement. Wow good to know.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:49 PM

I have an RG410 which I bought new in 1986 and the edge bridge is just fine. I am not crazy with the bar, so ymmv.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
unless there is gross defect or contributing incorrect setup, the Edge inserts (tremolo) will last many decades.

the (floating) OFRs i had mid 80s lasted pretty much a few months before wear and then required periodic filing due to the poor steel, smaller contact points, both inserts being curved & non-locking studs all of which contribute to the OFR knife edge erosion. Clearly Ibanez (Gotoh) studied the OFRs and saw these same defects cause they improve them significantly.

There are different qualities of builds in the Floyd's. The german originals vs korean and "licensed" versions. The steel and longevity is way different. Just like Ibanez bridges. I like that they aren't cast, personally.

I only hope you wear your guitar out by playing it!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:03 AM
site founder 0% owner

bluedot yes for sure there are differences. I only consider the german originals in any OFR conversation.

You can't work around the smaller stud diameter, non-locking stud (which creates slight rocking eventually loosening the stud insert in a soft typically basswood body which has now went from a circular hole to an oval) or the curved knife edges. The double-curve alone is a nightmare as a slight misalignment will ruin functionality. OTOH with the Edge the flat knife-edge allows 100% use (assuming it's not soo off that it rubs the body).

The OFR design was littered with engineering defects.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

That really saddens me because I just ordered a $3500.00 Custom Select Jackson WR1 USA Ferrari Warrior and of course it has a German made OFR. I had heard good things about the German made ones, Not to say I wants aware of any of the design flaws or that the Edge was an improvement.. Hell Floyd Rose himself said it was.. But I was hoping with all that even.. That the good old OFR I'll be using in this new guitar would still withstand the test of time. The worst thing about them you mentioned in your post is the ovaling of the post insert... That's some serious stuff.. :\ Its not like once every few years I just replace the posts and the bridge... Noooo I mean that's a big undertaking re doweling the holes and re-drilling and so on assuming the repair turns out right... God that's depressing..
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

It's not all bleak, the good news is the OFR baseplate is replaceable and the Jacksons don't float much mitigating some pressure & wear. Also some people don't use the trem much or block it. Lets be honest, the Edge trem is a primary reason many buy a Ibanez over other brands.

But look at the underside of the trem and ask yourself how it will hold up. The Jackson will at least have the studs properly measured/installed (2nd photo)
http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tre...eries/original
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

says page not found?What do you mean doesnt float muc? Its a regular recessed trem? Wouldn't it float the same amount as any other?
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

Click original series from here:
http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos

It floats but Ibanez designs for pulling up the open G to a C, the OFR equipped axes typically aren't made to do that. If they were they'd have changed the saddle bolt to a slim head design as the string hits it on aggressive pull-up.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Ohh I see, Let me ask you a more direct question if you don't mind. How many years of moderate to heavy use can I expect to get out of my OFR in a Alder Wood Jackson USA Custom Select? How many years without filing/replacing or any other out the the norm maintenance?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Depends on usage. Could literally be weeks or years.

An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure here. Played daily for an hour i'd have several studs on hand and change routinely (or rotate 180-degrees to get a new edge then dispose). When i played OFRs aggressively i checked the studs and OFR knife edges before each string change popping off the trem from the studs with nut locked and spring removed. Once the knife edge burs it ruins the stud so install new ones without blinking an eye.

A lot of times to get enough dive (or pull-up) with the OFR you have to change the float angle and cheat a little. If the OFR goes to the extreme almost pulling beyond the pivot point (too aggressive a dive or pull up as a result) of course that is metal on metal where not intended beyond the knife edge & insert contact point... damage.

I don't want to fear monger here. I wouldn't go looking for problems just keep an eye on things knowing the limitations of the system in use here. Enjoy.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

No no, No fear mongering just healthy advice you're offering that I asked for. And believe me Jemsite these are things you WILL NOT find doing a google search and that is why I made a thread and I'm very happy you commented. Only thing more I could of asked for was maybe a word or two from Rich because hes also very sharp on these matters. No thank you, I really appreciate it brother. I love your site btw. Amazing community. Thank you.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Depends on usage. Could literally be weeks or years.

An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure here. Played daily for an hour i'd have several studs on hand and change routinely (or rotate 180-degrees to get a new edge then dispose). When i played OFRs aggressively i checked the studs and OFR knife edges before each string change popping off the trem from the studs with nut locked and spring removed. Once the knife edge burs it ruins the stud so install new ones without blinking an eye.

A lot of times to get enough dive (or pull-up) with the OFR you have to change the float angle and cheat a little. If the OFR goes to the extreme almost pulling beyond the pivot point (too aggressive a dive or pull up as a result) of course that is metal on metal where not intended beyond the knife edge & insert contact point... damage.

I don't want to fear monger here. I wouldn't go looking for problems just keep an eye on things knowing the limitations of the system in use here. Enjoy.
Hey ya know what? One last question if you'll have it. I'm more worried about the wood ovaling then replacing a floyd. I'd be ok with buying 2 new floyds a year for this guitar to have it running the way it should. Its the wood warping I'm more concerned with. What are your thoughts on that? Is the oval thing happening something thats inevitable or is it more of an oddity in cheaper guitars? Is that something I'll more then likely have to address with this more expensive guitar?

Tags
edge , original edge , rg55 prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode