in/out difference b/t DD-3 and G-major? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

in/out difference b/t DD-3 and G-major?

What's the difference between in/out of a processor (like G-Major) and a pedal (like DD-3)?

I've been using a G-Major in the loop of my Budda. Although I find it adds noise and lowers the volume of the amp (yes I've tried both settings... consumer and pro ) I still need fx for the gig I do, so I've just learned to live with it. When I goof around at home I'll run the amp w/o fx and the difference in tone is big.

Just to do it I took an old Boss dd-3 and ran it in the loop today. No loss of tone, the volume stayed up, tone is way better... basically solved the problems I've been living with. Sounded way better then the G-Major...Why? Is there a difference in level?
If there is... is there a processor on the market that runs at the same level as the dd-3? I need the flexability of midi control, tap tempo, etc.

Any thoughts would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:17 PM

What you need is an effect box run in parallel. Basically what you do is split the signal and run one cable to the effect box, process it there, and then mix it with the dry signal. This way you won't lose any tone since only the wet signal will pass through AD/DA conversion.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

I've thought about going with a mixer from CAE or Axess electronics...
But that still doesn't explain why the Boss pedal sounds more level and quiter than the G-Major.
Any thoughts?
Is this an impedance problem I'm dealing with?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:09 PM

The default setting for the G-Major is that the volume is at 90% (I think it's 90%), this is to be able to increase the volume as a boost for solos.
I have never used the DD-3 so I don't know exactly how it works.
And another thing about the G-Major, it's not designed to run in parallel so you may want to get another processor if your building a parallel rig.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

The G-Major isn't parallel? Are you sure? There is a menu for setting it "parallel", "semi-Parallel", and "series". If it isn't true parallel, then that would explain a lot. But I have it set Parallel.
Also, the outputs are at 100%.
Thanks for the help so far.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 04:41 AM

The setting you're talking about sets how the effects work internally. If you set it to serial the signal will pass through effect block 1, then effect block 2, then effect block 3... If you set it to parallel it will split the signal and run through each effect block separatly and then mix everything.
By "not designed to be run in parallel" I mean that you cannot easily mute the dry sound. If you use a mixer and blend the dry signal with a signal that contains part dry, part wet signal you'll get phase problems.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

OK... that makes sense. thanks for the clarification.

Tags
boss pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode