which overdrive pedal? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

which overdrive pedal?

I have narrowed it down to ibanez ts9, fulltone ocd and fulldrive 2 mosfet (i am not too keen on the mosfet as i prefer simplicity in my pedals). Which one should I get? I am looking for a ac/dc, srv, bb king tone and I'll be using the clean channel of my SS amp (i know they are meant for tube amps but i can't afford one right now).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Re: which overdrive pedal?

An Ibanez TS10 would do the trick for the AC/DC and SRV tones. SRV used one. That's what the pedal is mimicking? A cranked up Marshall? Yup. That's what AC/DC uses. But I really really suggest saving up for a tube amp before buying one of these. Or else you won't get those tones, at all.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Have you checked out the Digitech Hardwire Overdrive? I had a TS808 (sold it for the Hardwire) and borrowed an OCD, and I think the Hardwire has more control and a better tone. Similar to the 808 as it has that mid hump, but can get a little more dirt on it if desired. I love it, clear and transparant as a boost too.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 12

Thought about the mxr GT-OD quite a cheeky little number! Other than that the ocd!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Reviews: 22

Any maxon green pedal 0d9, 0d9+,etc. are awesome. The tube one is my fave but it comes at great cost.

Most old 808s are sweet for that stuff too.

I agree on the Hardwire series pedals, they are built like tanks and great bang for buck.

those are my favorite pedals mostly under 200 bucks.
Best of luck and let us know what you choose.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:27 PM

i have a keeley modded ts9 and run it on my dirty channel, but have the gain on that channel turned down to the point where it's just starting to break up. it sounds great in that application and is kind of the basis of my distorted tone (rhythm and light gain, bluesy soloing). i have another distortion pedal (bb xotic) on top for high gain rhythm and my standard lead tone. but i do agree, it probably will not sound as good on a solid state amp.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 04:48 PM

Fulltone OCD, it's the only overdrive I'd add to my pedal board.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 AM

I think the Ts9 only sounds good with another distortion pedal on top of it, or if your amp has good enough gain, but the Fulltone OCD has a really nice tone for blues, classic rock, and if you tweak it right, some nice heavier stuff. But, it all depends on what you wanna play, see if any of your local shops have em and test im out.
It all depends on:
Guitar Pickups
Amp
Guitar

that will make the pedal you want sound good
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 AM

Get a Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion. You can get a wide variety range of sound from this baby, from overdrive to rock distortion. Excellent pedal....

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Reviews: 12

Also look into The new Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive (Timmy clone) and the Cool Cat Drive (Fulltone OCD clone).

I have the TOD and it just kills for $40. Check out youtube videos by a guy named germandude for comparisons of the TOD vs. the Timmy, and the Drive vs. the OCD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode