Painting With Sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Painting With Sound

Guys check out my 'my space music' page and let me know what you think of the tracks and any tips or hints at how I can improve my mixing etc.

http://www.myspace.com/grantcrofts

I am pretty happy with the album cover...you have to love photo shop.

All the best,

Wolfram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Re: Painting With Sound

No comments?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 AM

gotta love the blues!
nice sound btw
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM

I'm honestly not posting just to sound like a jerk, but to me, those tunes are all over the place. Specifically, "Playing for Tomorrow" just sounds so rhythmically out of whack. I realize it's not some big budget recording or anything, but the song structures need some major work, and they should be much tighter than what you have recorded there.....from one guitar player to another, just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
I'm honestly not posting just to sound like a jerk, but to me, those tunes are all over the place. Specifically, "Playing for Tomorrow" just sounds so rhythmically out of whack. I realize it's not some big budget recording or anything, but the song structures need some major work, and they should be much tighter than what you have recorded there.....from one guitar player to another, just my 2 cents.
sorry, but i agree with draco. it does sound out of whack.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Draco,

That is no problem at all. I appreciate your honesty. That is the sort of feedback I am after.

- Wolfram
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:01 PM

I just listened to the track mentioned above...
Indeed, it needs work,... and not a little amount of it.
however, I think I heard what you were trying to do...
And I honestly think with a better mixdown and some rerecording you could achieve something like "flexable" (by steve vai) sound wise...

And this is a tip for most people making and recording music:

Listen!

Do you think what you played is the best you can ?
Do you think your recording is the best your equipment can achieve?
Do you think your mixdown has the same relative levels as a commercial recording?
Etc. Etc.

After doing all that, the result may still be criticized, but it's all you could do at that point in time. Which will give you more detailed feedback on directions to improve in.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I am going to remix and re record some sections of the tracks.

Standby for updates.

- Wolfram
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:09 AM

Reviews: 25

If I may make a suggestion, your instruments, like the drums especially, are of really poor quality.

They sound like an old 80's casio drum machine. One of the most important part of making your own music, is only a small percentage the actual guitar parts. Drums, bass, keyboards, sound effects etc... should all be the best they can be also.

If your serious about making your own music, then I suggest using a better software package or better sound samples.

I'm no musical genioius, but I have been playing for 20 years and teaching myself Audio software for about 7 years. I recorded heaps of tracks just like yours and they were great for learning and listening to my own mistakes.

In my opinion, you should not bother re-recording them, I would push yourself to write new tracks, with the information you have learned from this experience. Try thinking about what your song wants to achieve. Do you just want a guitar soloing over chords for the entire track ?

Or do you want an intro that builds up to a peak and drops down to an ending etc.... Song structure !!

Here is a link to my myspace listen to them and tell me what you think of my music.

I Can't just tell you what i think of your music and not give an example of where im comming from. Its easy for people to criticise other people music, but rarely do they produce examples of their own music. Im not saying my music is the most awesome **** on the planet, im just like you but maybe with a little more experience, that im happy to share...

Keep writing new songs, new songs is where its at, trying to re hash old ideas, is a great way to live in the past and never progress...

http://www.myspace.com/myguitarsalive

The wounded guitar is my favourite track so far. I got more music but there not ready yet !!

Last edited by IbanezFreak777; 11-19-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode