Parallel Effects Loops - different levels of effect on diffe - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Parallel Effects Loops - different levels of effect on diffe

I just got a Marshall TSL 602, *which has one parallel effects loop. * When I set up the effects the way I want then one the clean channel, *things sound great, *but when I go into either of the other overdrive channels the level of the effect is much less. *I've screwed around with the setting the gains and volumes the sma on the different channels, *but still find that the clean always has about twice the effect as the overdrive.

Got any tips on how I should combat this problem?

Is it possible to have this effect loop modified to a seriel loop?

Thanks for the help!

Luther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 09:36 AM

Parallel Effects Loops

Some effects processors are designed so that the inputs of the processors receiving the signal from the effects loop of the amp (given that is what you are using) *are receiving the signal PRE-amp. So it relies on the output signal from the PRE-amp stage. Some are opposite, POST-amp stage. Some units let you choose how you want it and same with the amp (though it sounds like your marshall won't but that's normal, any effects {like overdrive, distortions, wah's should be driven in series from your guitar to the amp input and not the effects loop, save the effects loop for delays, chorus' and time based effects)

A good test to try.
On the clean channel dial in what you want to hear (sounds like you have according to your post)
Then switch the channel to a dirty one.
If effect is lost then then turn up the PRE-amp and not the power amp (usually the gain stage on the Marshall) if this doesn't work.....
Plug your effects unit in 'series' by putting it between your guitar and the amp. Listen to the difference then...

What processor are you using. Let me know and I'll see if I know something about it.

Paul
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Parallel Effects Loops

I'm using an Ensoniq DP/4. *I have a lot of success using it in the seriel loop of my Marshall DSL 2000, *utilizing the Compressor and reverb in that loop.

With the TSL parallel loop, *the compressor needs to go before the amp input, * which I am doing. *The DP/4 reverb is in the parallel loop. *

I've tried to adjust the gains at the same levels for the same amount of effect, *but the clean still gets more. *Now the clean has only a gain adjustment, *while the crunch and Lead channel have gain AND volume. *Then there is a master volume.

The problem is that I cannot turn the clean gain up too high because I want it super clean. I want the distortion with the right amount of gain as well (which means either the gain or the volume needs to be set higher than the gain on the clean. *

Does all this sound right? *Is it possible that the amp is defective with the level differences? *Since I am so pleased with the seriel loop behavior of my DSL, *I was wondering if it is possible to modify the TSL's parallel loop to a seriel one - do you think that can be done?

Thanks for the help....

Luther
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 06:23 AM

Parallel Effects Loops

If you dial %100 effect intensity on a parallel effects loop you'l make it a series one.

Since you seem to have programmable fx processor, you could also program the effects intensity/volume for overdrive settings higher. This way you could have same effects intensity also on overdrive sounds on the parallel loop.

Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:17 PM

Parallel Effects Loops

I have a parallel effects loop in my Mesa Nomad and I was wondering at what level(percentage) would be a good mix for an EQ pedal? I haven't had a chance to really mess with this yet so I was wondering about a good starting point. Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 02:34 PM

Parallel Effects Loops

I agree with the above comment, let your processor do the work on settings. create separate settings for different levels on the same effect and switch them accordingly.

There are always ways to modify an effect in most amps through a solid repair/amp mod workshop. *Look around on the net for somewhere close by that could advise you on what can be done for you.

To the guy with the fx loop setting. generally you want to put the eq in 'series' *(between your guitar and the amp) the effects loop would work and yes, it is best to leave it at 100% wet for opitimal level, but the boogie's loop is wired for parallel not series. this is done purposely on boogie's since they believe that that will preserve their original amp's tone. i agree and have a boogie myself.

if it is a pedal eq especially (like *the boss ge-7) put it inbetween your guitar and amp!

Happy New Year shredding!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 05:22 PM

Parallel Effects Loops

Thanks, I will try it in front. I just hope it won't get too noisy.

Tags
amp input , marshall dsl , marshall tsl , mesa nomad , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode