Parker P38 - anyones take? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Parker P38 - anyones take?

Some one wants to trade me one of these guitars. I know the specs but does anyone have one? What is your opinion of it?

Rikk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 02:58 PM

Parker P38

I don't have one, but i've looked at them in stores.

I think they're overpriced for what you get. It's a Korean-built bolt-on with a Parker-esque shape and a piezo-equipped Wilkinson-licensed trem. Think of it as the Parker equivalent of a JS-100 or JEM 555.

It does have a piezo bridge, so if you're interested in exploring those hybrid sounds without breaking the bank, it may not be a bad way to go, provided the trade is reasonable.

But be forewarned: With the P-series, you don't get the exquisite Parker neck with stainless steel frets, nor do you get the locking tuners or genuine DiMarzio pickups that its bigger brothers have. You also don't get the incredible light weight that makes other Parkers special.

But depending on what the trade offer is, it might be worth considering. Just know ahead of time that it's not a Fly or NiteFly.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 03:13 PM

Parker P38

What Darren said, plus they have BIG honkin' necks

I have a NiteFly and it gets pretty good rotation - it's a terrific "Strat" style guitar (three singles) and the piezo's really useful for some of the stuff we do, and I really like the Dimarzio pups... Anyway, the neck on this thing is stellar, but the P38s don't even compare. However, if I wanted to try out the piezo/blend thing on the cheap, I'd look at the P38 (but I'd buy a Godin LGX )
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 04:07 PM

Parker P38

Note: The Parker P38 is manufactured by Samick; NOT Parker! Just like how many cheaper Fenders and Gibsons are made by Samick, Parker commissions Samick to make the P38.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 05:59 PM

Parker P38

and that body just don't sit right when you play sitting down!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 07:45 PM

Parker P38

I keep hearing people complain about Parkers "not sitting right" or digging into their ribs when playing sitting down... i dunno... you guys must play hunched way over your guitars, because i played my Fly Classic for a couple of hours today, and it was super-comfy!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Parker P38

Good stuff to know. The trade will monetarily come out in my favor so I am not worried about that.

I have a very upperline totally custom guitar that has a fishman electronics bridge in it (used with a Fishman pedal) and stereo outs so I basically already know the piezo tone I just did not know if this would be a guitar worth keeping or if I should basically just plan on re-selling right when I get it. (Sounds like I will re-sell!!)

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Rikk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:01 PM

Parker P38

Rikk, I just ordered a Parker Fly Classic a week ago. *I played a couple P38's, and the piezo in the P38 doesn't even sound very good. *It does not have any of the composite materials that the others do. *Even the Nightfly has the composite fretboard and SS frets. *

The P38's are just another Korean guitar that costs to much IMO. *I'd try to find one to try out before you do the trade.

Jeremy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:13 PM

Parker P38

When I was selling my 555 on Ebay a few years ago, I had a guy contact me wanting to trade his P38 even for it. *At first I didn't know a whole lot about Parkers, except that Joe Walsh plays one. I thought the guy was nuts & almost jumped on the offer. *But I did some checking & discovered just what has been stated above by the other members. *It's a long way from the real thing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Parker P38

Well I checked a P38 out today and all I can say is YUCK!!! What a horrible god awful tone!! I dont mean to offend anyone here who has one and likes it but I like the sounds of early 60's to late 70's Fender Strats and Ibanez JEMs with Evos and PAF's in them through Marshall vintage speakers driven by lots of tubes. This thing sounded like someone yelling through a bullhorn on the other end of a telephone (even on that one setting everyone usually has that will make ANY guitar sound good on their amp setup.

I ASSUME that the other Parkers do not sound like this otherwise people would not be spending money on them. This thing just plain sucked though. The piezo sounded like garbage compared to the one I already have so I can really see no use for this guitar in my collection aside from it just sitting there adding volume!! lol I think I will pass on this one. I traded for a JEM777VBK today instead!! I am glad I passed on the P38 because I found out about the VBK afterwards and snagged it (I had to add some green in the deal but hey.......what the heck!!! *:-)

Thanks for all the advice again guys,

Rikk
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:32 AM

Re: Parker P38 - anyones take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkbeatty View Post
Some one wants to trade me one of these guitars. I know the specs but does anyone have one? What is your opinion of it?

Rikk
I have one and traded a Mexican Strat even up. The one I have is from 2008. All the materials are very good, solid fit an finish as well. The frets are taller jumbo's than a U.S. Strat however, the gap between strings and fret board, are similar to Fender. I was surprised by how good these really are. The tremolo is Wilkinson with locking keys, there's no locking trem system. There's simply no way you can go wrong with one in great shape, especially in this price range.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:19 AM

This thread is 14 years old. Just an FYI.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
This thread is 14 years old. Just an FYI.
LOL! Didn't see the date, first time user. Thanks

Tags
custom guitar , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , fender strat , fender strats , ibanez jem , korean guitar , locking tuners , parker fly , parker fly classic , piezo bridge , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode