Paul Gilbert Tone-all for around 900?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Paul Gilbert Tone-all for around 900??

Whats up every one,

--Im in search of that elusive Gilbert tone but all on a budget-$900 USD if possible. Im all set with the guitar-sort of-(schecter with PAF's) but the amp is lacking BIG TIME. Right now its a Fender ultimate chorus SS &old digitech multi. Im ready to upgrade.

I'm fairly certain about what the idea is: Laney combo (this will be played at home and small gigs), tube screamer, digi delay but I need different perspectives. So if you would, throw out some ideas to get this tone with different combinations of amps and effects.

--Thanks to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Paul Gilbert Tone-all for around 900??

The new Majik Box Fuzz Universe Overdrive/Booster (PG's newest signiture pedal) would probably be better than a tubescreamer, delay isnt too important as its very rarely used by Paul, and as for and amp, a Laney LC30, which I think has a very similar lead channel to that of the GH100L which Paul used before the switch to marshall, would work well.
His Airplane flanger would be good if you want that big swooping "Flange of death" sound but isn't necessary for the core tone. And a Dimarzio ToneZone pickup in the bridge of your guitar would give you a very PG-esque tone. Also Pick REALLY hard Lol
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

hahah and use a powerdrill with pick attached..Ill look into the LC30..Would you happen to kno the difference between the LC30 and VC30? Those effects would be run in front and not through the loop I take it? Thanks again!

More input is welcomed from all!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 AM

Most of PG's tone comes from the way he plays. So roll back the gain, angle the pick and pick really hard. That should get you closer
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadelma View Post
hahah and use a powerdrill with pick attached..Ill look into the LC30..Would you happen to kno the difference between the LC30 and VC30? Those effects would be run in front and not through the loop I take it? Thanks again!

More input is welcomed from all!
The LC30 has alot more gain and has a more modern voicing than the VC30 I actually own the VC15 and think its great but would need an OD for PG tones.
The VC50 combo which Paul used is now discountinued and is infact not part of the current VC range and is the combo version of the VH100R head.
As for the effects Paul runs everything infront of the amp, but traditionally time and modulation effects (delays, chorus, flanger, reverb etc) would go in the FX loop
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM

those paf pro pickups with an rg body? rg 550?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamer View Post
Most of PG's tone comes from the way he plays. So roll back the gain, angle the pick and pick really hard. That should get you closer
Au contraire, Paul had the gain on his Laneys CRANKED when he still used them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I guess the logical mini set up (bedroom playing and small gigs) would be to go with either the LC15 or VC15 and get a tube-screamer, mxr 90, and EQ pedal. What do you guys think? Also, has anyone tried his new Fuzz Universe pedal? You think this is a solid setup?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
Au contraire, Paul had the gain on his Laneys CRANKED when he still used them.
He had the regular gain pegged, but anyone who's ever owned a GH100/50L will tell you that's like having the gain on a JCM800 cranked. Typically he didn't use the Laney's "Drive Boost", he used the TS9 instead.

These are his exact settings:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM

I assume you were referring to having both the Gain and Drive knobs cranked with your JCM800 comment, because diming only the Gain knob normally doesn't give much distortion at all.

And I SWEAR I remember either seeing some pics or reading something from PG a few months ago about him having the Gain and Drive settings pretty high, as well as having the Presence at like 10. But of course I can't find it now, and I can't remember how I found it in the first place.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
I assume you were referring to having both the Gain and Drive knobs cranked with your JCM800 comment, because diming only the Gain knob normally doesn't give much distortion at all.

And I SWEAR I remember either seeing some pics or reading something from PG a few months ago about him having the Gain and Drive settings pretty high, as well as having the Presence at like 10. But of course I can't find it now, and I can't remember how I found it in the first place.
Paul switched to Marshall Vintage Moderns a couple years ago, and they have 2 drive knobs also(detail and body).

With both gains pegged on a GH100/50L you have about as much gain as an overdrive boosted JCM800. It's way more gain than a stock 800 will produce, as they don't have that much gain in the first place. My GH50L had 800 gain with the drive off, when I had it.

Last edited by toshiro; 10-31-2010 at 10:28 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM

PS: I agree with the pick attack and technique over gain, if you listen to any of Paul's instructional stuff you'll notice he plays with more of a twangy, lower gain tone, and still sounds awesome.

I had a GH50L for a number of years, and never sounded like Gilbert.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM

check out the racer x board, obviously loads of stuff on PG over there http://racerx.edutom.co.uk/board/vie...718e3a65fdea2e that thread is dedicated to his gear, but there are also threads on laneys/marshalls so you should be able to get a good grasp on an aproach to his gear, but you're not gonna sound like Paul without the right technique.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM

you can often find an old ADA MP-1 preamp for cheap, if you are looking for more of the old school PG sound. Pair it with some form of sonic maximizer and a tube poweramp and you will have a great tone.

One thing i will say about the mp1 is that the eq section on it is a little fussy in the midrange band, i usually find myself leaving the mids set to 0 (its active EQ so zero is basically in the middle) and running a parametric eq in the loop to boost a certain upper mid band slightly to give it that bark. And also the sonic max really helps beefen the lowend when used properly. Most people ive seen that use them will crank the knobs, but if you back them off to about 2 or 3 it gives it a slight push that richens it instead of makes it super digital sounding
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I occasionally spot Metaltronix heads on the Bay. Some folks claim that tone is in the fingers--sorry, I don't drink that Kool-aid. When I plug one of my Evo equipped Rgs into my Legacy, I get a very good Vai tone.I have also successfully recreated Lynch, Rhoads, Tagasaki, DeMartini, and EVH tones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode