PC recording - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Red face PC recording

I would like to start recording some tracks on my PC and Im in need of help as where to start.
I cant really afford any software at the moment but I do have a version of Computer Muzys which I got with a magazine, would I be able to use this ? Or is there any free programs on the net that would be better to use?
Im not looking for a professional sound just something that I can lay drum,bass, rhythm and lead tracks down. I would also like to download midi backing tracks off the net and be able to edit them (change key,etc) so that I can jam and sing along to them.
I also have a Boss DR-5 would I be able to use this with the PC? I use to make up backing tracks on it when I was gigging but you cant save that many songs on it and I now dont have any other equipment to put the backings on to free up the memory.
Hope someone can help me out as I'd really like to get some ideas recorded just to see what they sound like.
I had thought about buying a 4 track but Im on the computer everyday so if its easy enough I'd like to give it a try :-)
Im new to PC recording so please can you make your replys easy for me to understand ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:48 PM

Re: PC recording

Same here!! but i currently recording thru my Mic and Audacity. planning to get a Midi USB cable connector for my Boss GT-8. any tips for the cable?? i nvr seen one before lol T_T
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:15 PM

To get started, you'll need:
1. RAM. Lots of it. 1GB is a good place to start.
2. HD Space
3. A Firewire interface. I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 that works pretty well. Not terribly expensive at about $265. There are some that cost $799 & up. The higher-end ones include Protools. The one i got included recording software that I'm not using, (Ableton) and should work for basic stuff you're describing.

4. Of course, your computer will need a firewire input. Not that expensive if you don't already have one. It's much faster than USB and you'll want "fast" in every area you can get it.
5. A microphone or two, plus cables

PC has tons of advantages over stand-alone 4-track and the investment isn't that much more.

Good luck!
~K
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
2. HD Space
3. A Firewire interface. I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 that works pretty well. Not terribly expensive at about $265. There are some that cost $799 & up. The higher-end ones include Protools. The one i got included recording software that I'm not using, (Ableton) and should work for basic stuff you're describing.

4. Of course, your computer will need a firewire input. Not that expensive if you don't already have one. It's much faster than USB and you'll want "fast" in every area you can get it.

PC has tons of advantages over stand-alone 4-track and the investment isn't that much more.

Good luck!
~K
do you know any good midi usb cable out there??

thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
2. HD Space

Good luck!
~K

What all does a Firewire Interface do?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 AM

MIDI-USB Cable? I know that there are smal interfaces...Edirol makes a little blue one. Not terribly expensive.

Firewire interface gets the sound you're creating into the computer. It basically replaces your internal soundcard. It's helpful to have a mixer, but a cheap mixer can do more harm than good with all the noise it puts out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:10 AM

hey kenny!!

thanks for the answer, heheh i f ound that edirol thing costs around 700 bucks lol so could i use this one to connect for GT-8 to the comp?

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp...IDI_Interfaces

Thanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 AM

that one, or this one "Edirol/Roland UM1SX USB/MIDI Interface" for about $40.
Google it
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:10 PM

im using a creative labs live drive, a pritty old sound card now so you can probably get them for next to nothing id think.

it does a good job for me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 PM

"Value" and "Cheap" are two different things.

Usually with "cheap", you get what you pay for.
~K
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 PM

agreed, but if you dont have the cash its an idea. i have no complants, its made my fostex 8 track redundant.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 PM

true!

Tags
audio firewire , backing track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode