Peavey 6505+ or Triple XXX? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 20
Peavey 6505+ or Triple XXX?

Hi all, hope all is well.
Quite self explanatory really, which do you prefer and why in the Peavey 6505+ and the Triple XXX? They are both the same price on Peavey's site.
Regards
Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Peavey 6505+ or Triple XXX?

Anybody any opinions? To me the 6505+ has more meat to it (the 6505+ has more features including an extra preamp tube over the 6505.)

The rhythm channel- how good is it for clean?
Please comment
Regards
Jonny
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Both great metal amps. Although cleans aren't brilliant, although are usable. Personally speaking the XXX is my favourite out of the two.
I take it you are interested in getting one of these? If so, what kind of stuff will you be playing? Also, if you want a high gain amp with a good clean channel, try a JSX
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Peavey 6505+ or Triple XXX?

Yea I'm looking for a new amp- I currently have a valveking and I'm just using it as a power amp really 'coz I'm usin' my uncles GT-8 before it, the valveking's distortion just isnt enough its so weak (think I've got a dodgey one tho coz I get alot of weird noises from the amp- even tried unpluggin everything and an intermittance fuzz still makes its appearances lol.)
In all honesty I hadn't thought of the JSX- it seems very good. I've considered so far:
Marshall TSL 100
Line6 SpiderValve 100 (head)
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
I've had a look at Kirk Hammett's signature head too which seems very impressive and the JSX which you mentioned.
What do you reckon of each? I can't get any decent TSL videos on youtube to be honest :S. Thanks

Regards
Jonny
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM

Never played through a TSL or the Line6, so I can't really comment on those.
Did have a Triple Rec, monster amp! Good leads, crushing rhythm tones and very nice clean channel. The only problem I've ever had with Mesas is that you really need to turn the amp up to get the best out of them. And the Triple Rec is a 150w monster!! Just way too loud unless you getting an attenuator. I do actually miss mine and hopefully will one day have one again.
The XXX and particularly JSX are much more usuable at lower volumes. For me the JSX is much more versatile than the XXX. The XXX is more of a one trick pony, it's a metal amp pure and simple.

Before you go and buy one, I'd definately recommend you take your guitar and go try some out. Also, if you can, try them with different cabs. My JSX sounds okay with my XXX cab, but comes alive when I put it through a Cornford 2 x 12 with v30 speakers. Just awesome tone (imo)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:23 PM

xxx for better tone at lower volumes. 6505+ for better cut through mix and volume / better for rhythm.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Would you say the 6505+ is like the XXX in the metal only amp genre? I will definately try out some amps- thanks dude ! Which do you prefer- your JSX or your Triple Rectifier that you used to have? Through cabs of your choice? Cheers :P

Regards
Jonny
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Ahh right, cool, thanks Shogun. Have you had any experience with any of the amps I mentioned earlier?

Regards
Jonny
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:43 PM

I had a 6505+ for about 6 months. It did the job for the band I was in. Definitely better for aggressive rhythm. You can get a half 'bluesy' tone out of the dirty channel. This amp sounds best cranked-- at lower volumes it is grainy--similar to a marshall..

The XXX would sound better at a lower volume, is a bit more smooth, but does not cut through the mix as well.

I rented a JSX for a month to use in the studio. Very nice for both lead and rhythm! Obviously, a very satchy tone. Reason for not buying = not quite enough compression for my likings.

Dual Recto's are for rhythm players. Not much in the lead department if your looking for a quality tone.

The marshall stuff is okay, but I would get a JSX over a TSL, anyday.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Cheers dude- have you had any experience with the line 6 spidervalve or Kirk Hammetts signature head? thanks
Regards
Jonny
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist-Jonny View Post
Cheers dude- have you had any experience with the line 6 spidervalve or Kirk Hammetts signature head? thanks
Regards
Jonny
I tried the valve for about 10 min and didn't like it at all. didn't find much improvement in comparison to the regular spiders. don't know a lot about the KH sig but it probably is only good for his sound, which is great for heavy rhythms, but isn't what I would like for lead.

what kind of stuff do you play?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

The Spidervalve is good but the more i listen to it the more digital it seems to sound to me, I play a bit of everythin but the tones I'm after is a versatile lead sound that is flexible to use within a wide range of music- from light to heavy. Would you recommend anything?
Thanks
Regards
Jonny
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Do yourself a favour and check out the JSX. To me it sounds like exactly what you are after.

Rock on!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Does the JSX sound alot like Satch tho?

Regards
Jonny
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist-Jonny View Post
Does the JSX sound alot like Satch tho?

Regards
Jonny
Are you using a JS1000? Do you play like Joe? If you want to sound like Joe it will probably get you closer but it all depends on your axe and for the most part your hands. I tried the JSX a few times and I was impressed every single time I played it. It has the best of what Peavey has ever done with amps IMHO all in one amp. Just my 2cents

~Bones

Tags
dual recto , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , marshall jvm , marshall tsl , mesa boogie triple , preamp tube , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode