Peavey head tube swap- your recommendation - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Peavey head tube swap- your recommendation

goes out to all the Peavey head owners out there...

i'm looking forward to swap the default tubes in my Ultra Plus to maybe the Electro Harmonics 6L6 + 12AX7. i mention these as they rate tops in reviews & recommendations. i don't have any experiences with the EH 6L6s (or any 6L6s for that matter), i've only had Tesla EL84s installed in my Marshall...

what i'm after is a tube that's responsive to high gain settings + rich in harmonics. i'm currently plugging all my Ibanezs to this head (dimarzios & Duncans in there...)

i've only owned this Ultra head for like 4 months & the tubes sound more fuzzy than before, it's like a distortion pedal running on flat batteries...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 01:10 AM

Does the amp make noise when it's ON but still on STANDBY? That's a sure
sign that the tubes are going.

If your looking for rich harmonics, I personally think the EL34s are more
suited for that. I think that the 6L6 tubes are great for a more cleaner
sound, more subtle harmonics then an EL34.

And I recommend Tesla all the way!!

www.Eurotubes.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Raven dude, thanx for the insight...

nope, the tubes aren't noisy at the ON stage, but there's marked tonal difference now compared to when i first bought it. still figuring this one out...

i'm saving the EL34 recommendation for another amp (THD Univibe- still considering it though). this tube has an inherent British tone to it. i want pure American tube overdrive, the reason i'm saving the 6L6s...

i'm currently impressed with the Marshall MG series tubeless babies. there's some very fierce overdrive coming from these Indian units. trying to pit it against the Peavey XXL before i go the Frank Gambale way & embrace the solid state of tone generation...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 11:43 PM

Oh man, if you have two amps, then absulutly have one 6L6 and one
EL34. Best of both worlds!!

Also, read up on tubes and some opinions on tubes at

www.Eurotubes.com

Bob is a good guy, and spent lots of time with me through E-mail. But
honestly, everything is written on his page.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 10:15 AM

TUBES BLUE GLOW???

Hello, I got a situation here, any tube experts could help me because I THINK something is up, but everything SOUNDS fine :

I own a 3-month old Peavey Triple X, and I've gigged it 3 times no problem. the amp is noiseless, doesnt hiss AT ALL unless cranked to 11, and the tone is so good, I plan on selling my Sansamp PSA1 because of it.

Here is where it gets weird : There are 4x sovtek 6L6's in the amp, and yesterday I noticed 3 of the 4 power amp tubes glow with a beautiful "Blue" inside the glass, but one of them does not. All 4 do light up when the amp is on, but when turning off Standby, that's when the blue shows up. I switched tubes around to see if it was the tube, but alas, it isnt. It is the tube socket closest to the 12AX7 that "drives the power amp section" (I could use the word rectifier, but....)

I asked James Brown (the man who invented the XXX, not the Godfather of Soul) and he said something about a "blown open resistor" in the socket? What does that mean?

Also : I just got done playing through the amp and noticed that the plastic grille above each tube is HOT except for the tube socket that DOESNT have that beautiful Blue glow.

Not any pressure, but I have a gig in 12 hours, and I'd really appreciate some help, advice, etc. Thanks :-)

Tags
distortion pedal , frank gambale , peavey xxl , power amp , sansamp psa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode