Peavey JSX - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Peavey JSX

does anyone have know if peavey plans to make a smaller combo version of this amp. From what Ive seen, heard and read about, it sounds like the amp for me, but I dont want a stack. They're far too large and loud for my situation.

A 50W combo version would be prime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:09 AM

I'm with you on this one! A combo would ROCK! However, I don't think that will happen until summer NAMM at the earliest....and probably not until next year.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:14 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
if you can live without the JSX logo, there are a ton of combo amps available now that would suffice... if not offer a much better overall tone & variety of sounds.

Lets be real honest... one thing Joe and Peavey have in common is that neither have been widely accused of having great tone ...glen
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:08 AM

wow glen - i really thought the amp kicked serious ass, from both hearing joe play it and playing it myself at NAMM - seriously versatile, although not in a high-gain sorta way - but nor is the legacy (which is what my current amp .. a carvin VM100 w/ EL34s resembles).

oh well - try whatever you want to buy before you buy it, only way to fly.

~A
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 AM
site founder 0% owner

i hear you. the benefit of peavey (over carvin & boutique amps especially) for consumers is the ease at which they can do an instore demo. my point is waiting 6-12 months for a "satch peavey" combo amp makes very little sense. ...glen
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:40 PM

aye, yep, gotcha - i was just defending the tone

~A
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:43 PM

im sorry did i misread? (seriously im not sure lol)

did u say that satch has never had good tone? have you heard his tone on the last 4 odd albums his tone has kicked amazingly, i mean he used pretty much just cornford for the lead stuff in the studio for sbm and (needless to say) the tone is killer.

now if we are just talking about his live tone then i can understand a lil but more but not a huge amount lol
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Vendor

Glen puts Joe's tone down every chance he get's. IMO, he's just jealous
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

i'm not the jealous type, but would love Satch's skill set on the guitar

his tone does not match his guitar wizadry ...glen
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:03 PM

I would have stuck with the Cornfords

but his tone was quite good when I saw him at G3.

But ultimately, I would pass on the JSX
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:15 PM

i dont see how anyone could posibly knock joes tone on the recent albums, i mean i HATE his early tone but the new stuff is just pure cornford goodness and the stuff on the self titled album is awsome as well.

imho joe has some of the best tones u will EVER hear
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I agree, I love Joe's tone. but back to the amp

Glen, the JS logo is, if anything, a deterant (never much liked the idea of playing someone else sig), but I did love the tone on the amp and it does suite me very well, except for the size.

I think I will wait for a combo and then try it. Not because Im laying all my hopes on the JSX but because I wont have the money until at least June
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
i dont see how anyone could posibly knock joes tone on the recent albums, i mean i HATE his early tone but the new stuff is just pure cornford goodness and the stuff on the self titled album is awsome as well.

imho joe has some of the best tones u will EVER hear
Personally I love his earlier, more processed tones, simply because they suit that music. I think that's Joe's tonal strength, having the sound fit the song perfectly.

What I find interesting, is that I know where to try a cornford, or a Soldano or a Boogie or a VHT, but a Peavey dealership? I guess I'm just frequenting the right guitar shops

Peavey is vastly under represented in the UK, but when you canfind them still represents great value for money.I do want to try the new JSX, but I doubt I'd purchase one.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:27 PM

Yeah, that logo is hideous. Absolutely hideous. And, near as i can tell from Eddie's pics, it's chrome too. Sure, i understand why it's chrome, but as if it didn't call enough attention to itself already...

I think joe's early tone, and just about every clean sound he's ever dialed up, absolutely blows. However, his Crystal Planet-era stuff rocks, and his lead tone on "All Alone" off time machine is, if you can picture it without the slight leslie-esq warble, absolutely orgasmic.

For what it's worth, another totally biased opinion on the subject.

-D
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:28 PM

From what I've seen, it looks like the just slapped that "JSX" plate on the XXX (cosmetically speaking, I'm not saying they're the same amp), and looks like it could be removed if you really wanted to.

Tags
clean tone , combo amp , crystal planet , dual recto , eric johnson , guitar mag , guitar playing , guitar shop , jason becker , jimmy page , kurt cobain , peavey amp , rivera amps , satch tone , signature guitar , steve vai , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode