peavey transtube - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

peavey transtube

i recently bought a peavey transtube special 212 II for $530. it is a very nice amp in my opinion.theres 6 distortions(3 to a channel, "high gain" disortion is on both) there are so many sounds to get out of this, its amazing.the "modern" distortion is crazy. it is definitly modern and i don't even need a pedal anymore. you can get almost any sound out of this. i did a search for them and i found people saying they were bad. one person said the older transtubes are, but this must be a newer one, hence the "II". on the clean channel, there is vintage and modern. both sound nice.

for the price, i would recomend this amp. it gets a very nice tubeish sound and is very LOUD. 130 watts and 200 watts through a cabinet. as a tube amp does, it gets better sounding as it gets loud. it doesn't get really distorted at higher volumes(of course, i've only gone up to 3.5 at band practice). theres a percentage power level knob. not sure what it does. it says something about playing at higher volumes if it does start to get a little bad sounding. something about compression and all that.

what do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:11 PM

I haven't had much experience with the transtube series, but I'm enjoying my Prowler quite a bit. My first amp was a Peavey Rage 158, which was pretty cool, but I can't remember what I did with it. I think I might have traded it for a bass or something. . .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:21 PM

I still have the Rage 158 somewhere, great clean sound but horrible lead channel, needed a lot of tweaking to make it sound half decent. The bigger transtubes sound a bit better but the lead channel is still too harsh for my liking, maybe the new ones got that fixed...I'm happy you like it, and i can't really help you with the weird percentage knob...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 10:54 PM

I played one once, don't remember what that knob did...

Yeah, the peavey's aren't bad at all, for solid state... sound more like a mesa rectifier than any non-rectifier i've ever played. Not quite as "good" a tone, but more practical, and very useable. I guess Neil Zaza uses one for clinics, and if it's good enough for him...

Enjoy it.

-Drew
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:15 PM

I thought the 50 watt transtube (Bandit?) I played though back in around '96 was one of the best SS amps I ever heard.

Tags
mesa rectifier , neil zaza , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode