Peavey Ultra Tube 410 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Peavey Ultra Tube 410

Any opinions on this amp?

It's a 60-watt combo, four Blue Marvel speakers, three channels, recent re-tube and it is inexpensive.

Plus it weighs 70 pounds. I am a basement player, so it wouldn't get moved around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 05:00 PM

Re: Peavey Ultra Tube 410

I have the 1x12 version of this amp. I bought it in 98, played it hard for 5 years, sold it in 2004 due to a mini-financial crisis, then found it for sale by the guy I sold it to in 2014 so I bought it back. Great amp for rock and metal.

- master volume
- effects loop

This amp covers everything and worked amazing for the cover work (hard rock mostly) I did with whatever band I was in.

Dislikes:
- weight, this thing is a pig to lug around, I can imagine the 4x10. My fix: I cut a piece of 1" plywood the same width and depth of the amp and slapped some casters on it.

- Speaker...was a Sheffield in mine when I bought it, and when I bought it back I swapped it out with a Emenince Legend GB128 (50w greenback clone) and kicked myself in the arse for not doing this earlier. Totally improved the tone of the amp for my ears. I've played Peaveys with the blue marvels before and I totally hate that speaker. I don't understand why Peavey shoot themselves in the foot by making a great amp and stuffing it with ****ty speakers. Yes, the marvels are made by Eminence, but they are the bottom of the bottom of OEM speakers.

- effects loop. It's fine when it's "clean", meaning the contacts on the jacks need to be super clean or else this amp drops/flucuates volume a lot. A good spray of de-oxit every few months keeps it working 100%. It's a common problem with these amps.

- Stock tubes. they suck. I swapped them out with full set of JJ's from Eurotubes they recommended and totally pleased with the result.

Side note - the amp's power section is biased a bit cold to allow people to swap tubes without screwing around with bias resistors. Getting a matched set pops right in, no matter what the rating on them. When this amp is cranked up, it still sounds good and there's a lot of headroom in the gain channels. The clean isn't the best clean out there but good enough for playing in front of a drinking crowd.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Was yours the ultra or the Ultra Plus (no idea if the Ultra Plus came in combo form)?

I have sort of decided against it at this point, but it is still for sale (and for $250) so it keeps nagging at me.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 04:06 PM

Ultra plus is the head version of this amp with 4 6L6 tubes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Ah -- understood.

The amp is no longer listed. As Joey Tribbiani would say, the point is moo. I'll keep an eye out though -- It seems like one can get a lot of amp for the money with these.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 PM

the ultra morphed in to the triple xxx and they pop up cheap from time to time. the solid state XXLs can be had for stupid cheap and with a speaker upgrade or extension cab they are amazing for the price.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 AM

nice amp

Tags
10 inches , peavey , ultra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in