Peavey VK100 with original Peavey 5150 cabs = Wonderful - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Smile Peavey VK100 with original Peavey 5150 cabs = Wonderful

In my band we have two guitar players. We both play lead and rythem parts. We write our music so that no instrument is dominate to the other, except during a solo, although we are play totally different parts. No chord banging in unison here. And in that, we have always had trouble getting the right balance of tone so that both are heard. T-bone bought a new VK-100 head and didn't have a cab for it. I have an old block letter 5150 full stack in the closet, so I say use one of those cabs. His sound was awesome. It worked nicely. So much so, that I decided to use the other cab and buy a VK-100 too.

Its like magic. The tones blend like a milkshake. You here everything. And still yet we are using totally different settings. T-bone uses full power class AB setting on the back of the amp. I use the exact opposite setting. Totally class A. It creates an identity between us, but yet the blending of the tones is perfect.

Of course we use different guitars. And he uses the amps lead channel. I use a modified DS-1 that I did a mod on myself and a boss EQ for a lead boost. None the less, the perfect blend.

Now to be subjective to some degree, I will admit. This is the first time that both of us used the same amp. And in that alone, I think my be the factor. But, I don't care. In my opinion the VK-100 is a serious machine of mass construction of tone. And for the price, who can offer more? $500 took it home. Of course the cabs are worth more than the heads. That might be a factor too. Still, I love this amp. I did try hooking it up to a 100W fender 4X12 cab......nasty!!!! Ick... But then again it is a FM cab. Never expected it to do too much. With the 5150 cabs the head is sweet.

Now take in mind. I don't do the mega heavy thing. The DS-1 is all the gain I need. However, after a mod to remove the hiss, and add the warm. The pedals gain is very different from stock. Mabey a little hotter, but I think just warmer. If you are into mega heavy,.......I don't know what to tell you. If you are into mega clean..........I still don't know what to tell you. The VK-100 has a nice clean channel, but its not a fender. Never will be. Its a peavey. With tubes!!!

Ah......I'm tired and up late and rambling. Has anyone else checked out this head? And last I checked, I think the 6505 cab is the same thing as the old 5150 cabs I have. Different number, same package. I think. Non the less. There you have it, whatever it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
guitar players

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode