Peavey XXL - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Peavey XXL

Hey, I just bought the Peavey XXL and I'm waiting for the cab to come in, so I haven't tried this out yet. Has anyone played this at all? I'm too anxious to wait I need to know if I made a smart buy or not. I bought a used cab though, its a Peavey MS series 4x12. Are those any good? The head looks killer though. I can't wait to play this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:24 PM

I played that amp at the winter NAMM show, I remember it had a great lead sound, even when it was turned up loud (the amp tech in the booth took it upon himself to turn the amp up incredibly loud during my demo). Also, I do have a Peavey 412MS cab (its pretty old, my dad found it along with a peavey ultra 120 head at a pawn shop for $225), it sounds pretty amazing with the ultra 120. I hope you enjoy your amp as much as I did during the NAMM show.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

good, im glad a 412MS is worth it. i didnt know what it even looks like and i just had the guy order it for me. maybe ill post some pics when i get everything.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 05:51 PM

I cant speak for the cab but about a year ago I had a problem with my SLO at a gig. I didnt want to mess with it there so instead I just retired it for the night and got ready to use my sansamp and go direct (ugh.)

The guitarest from the opening band was good enouph to offer his rigg up for me to use during our 2 sets. He was using an XXL (I think but it couldve been the XXX) through a marshall cab and I thought it sounded great. I was surprised. I mean I wouldnt give up my Bogner or Soldano for one but I thought real long and hard about just buying one and having our crew bring it every night as a backup. I really dug the lead channel. It was a very decent high gain sound for the money. Do a search under my name for peavey XXL or XXX and youll se Ive recomended it many times when someone asks for a great less expensive amp.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 03:03 AM

Interesting... I'll tell you this, I really like the tone I get from my little Peavey Studio Pro. They have another head that sports the transtube trademark. I tried it out at full volume for a few hours at a local rehearsal space. It was great.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

yeah i used to play through the Peavey Envoy 110, i loved the tone i could get through it. i couldnt afford the Peavey XXX so i decided to go with the XXL. Cab is coming tomorrow, i cant wait.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 03:32 PM

Well, I've always joked that the Peavey's are the best Rectifiers for the money... Never played one of the XXX/XXl's, though. Spent some time with a 5150II, but it just wasn't for me...

-D
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Gus

PEAVEY XXL ?

I am considering to buy the Peavey XXL Head, too. Please tell me some facts about it, anybody that owns it yet at home,
Can it hold up with some powerful Tama-set drummer ?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 04:52 PM

Dont be fooled by talk and power myths. If thiers a 100 watt amp out there that isnt way louder then a loud drummer then thiers something wrong. I dont own a Peavey XXL but Ive owned at leat 8 different 50-100 watt heads in the last few years and any of those amps by themselves could be balanced wll with the drummers Ive played with on 4-5 master setting. At 10 the entire band would be drowned out by a 100 watt amp. Unless your playing outside alot. Or huge venues were thiers space for the volume to discepate a bit.

The only thing I remembered about the Peavey rig is their footswitch has the buttons entirely too close together.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 01:57 PM

XXL us XXX

I used the XXL at a club gig while my presious marshall was in the shop, and I'll say it full out....PHUCKEN EH! this head rocks, I wound up buying one and retired the Marshall to the studio in the basement, but curiousity got the better of me so I tried the XXX, it was great, but out of my buget.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Gus

But, is the Solid State XXL Head loud as a Valve JCM 800 or 900 Marshall amp ?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 06:10 AM

No
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 06:10 AM

And if the XXL is solid state the one I played and was refering too earlier must have been the XXX.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:33 PM

I have to put out my 2 cents on the XXX and XXL. I sell them both and play them often through many different cabs (yes, the 412ms is a good cab for the $) and they are both different animals but striving for the same goals- to get as close to a triple rectifier as possible for players on a budget. I think they ended up being a completeley different breed from the Rectifier series and in the end - for the better. Why do we need 10 different amps that sound the same?
The XXX is a great tube amp capable of many different sounds and textures and has a screamn amount of power. The XXL is one of the nicest and most versatile solid state amps I have tried. I thought of getting the XXL 2x12 combo long and hard, but just couldn't justify getting another amp (I have 4 other amps already).
I think that the features you get from an XXL amp (I would go for the combo) for the $, you can't go wrong. I hope you enjoy it !
Now turn off that computer and PLAY YOUR GUITAR!!!

Tags
marshall amp , peavey ultra , peavey xxl , solid state amp , solid state amps , triple rectifier , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode