Peavey XXX or 5150 owners, please help! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Peavey XXX or 5150 owners, please help!

Hey guys!
I listened to the Peavey XXX clips on chrissnider.net , and i'm really, really impressed by them. Could any XXX owners comment on if the clips on the site are a good representation of how the amp actually sounds? If it can pull those tones off, i just may pick one up. Also, how does the amp do with an OD pedal in front of it for leads?
I also really liked the tone he got from the 5150 {not the one on the "clean" channel, the other one}. The other guitarist in my band uses a 5150 combo, and it sounds completely different from this. His is extremely trebly and brutal {in a good way}, but this one sounded nice! Is that clip a good example of how the 5150 head sounds? How does this one do with an OD for leads? Whenever i do lead stuff on my friend's 5150 combo, it always sounds very cold and thin, and doesn't have enough body to make fast alternate picked runs sounds warm and smooth {think: John Petrucci or Mattias Eklundh}.
Please help! Any comments are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:21 AM

i have a 5150 head and have been using it for a few years as my main amp. it is a solid built amp and after you get somebody (like FJA) to lower the gain a bit and re-bias it, it can be very versatile. Peavey is known for great customer service if you ever have problems.
the XXX has a good clean sound (i've played the head version and the 2x12- i like the 2x12), the crunch is awesome but the ultra channel is useless IMHO. it would be kinda useless to buy a three channel amp if you don't need the third channel. i liked the overall looks of the combo and would find the crunch and clean channels very useful.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:55 AM

I'd say the clips on Chis's page are pretty much how those amps sound stock.
The 5150 combo is different than the head. I hate the combo myself. The original 5150 or the 5150II with it's lead channel moded back to the specs of the original are great amps. The 5150's need the bias mod so the tubes can be biased warmer. IMO they sound too thin, buzzy, and brittle the way they come biased from the factory. The clean is not very good with out some mods to clean it up.
The XXX comes with 6L6 power tubes but most people seem to prefer the EL34's in them. Stock the XXX is very thin and buzzy to my ears. The XXX has an amazing clean for a high gain amp. I have clips of modified 5150's and XXX'x on my soundclip page.
Jerry
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Jerry,
Would you say the XXX clips on your page are a good representation of how the amp sounds in person? Not quite the tone i'm going for, no offense.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:10 PM

They're close. I think the amp sounds heavier in person. I'm not very good at recording or playing for that matter, but it gives you an idea of the sound. The clips on my page are of a modified XXX. The clips on Chris's site sound pretty much like the amp sounds in person for a stock XXX.
Jerry
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, i just won a Triple XXX off the the Bay for $561! Anybody have some settings that they reccomend i try out?
Also, what kind of tonal difference do the EL34's make as opposed to the 6L6's?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 12:54 PM

Start with the EQ settings all at 12 o'clock. Turn the master volume up to about 2 or 3 o'clock. Keep the channel gains on the crunch and ultra below 12 o'clock, any higher and they sound too buzzy. Use the channel volumes to control your overall volume. I like the loose setting on the resonance switch best. The EL34's will take the edge off and make it smoother. Most guys seem to prefer the EL34's in the XXX. I have some clips of modified XXX's on my site to hear the differences between the 6L6 and EL34 tubes.
Jerry

Tags
high gain amp , john petrucci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode