Peavey XXX issues - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Peavey XXX issues

I'm using the band's other guitarist's XXX at rehearsal (and most likely gig with it) and theres be a few issues that done need to be addressed.

I plan on getting entirely new tubes for it, including preamp tubes, and since I'm not to familiar with tube brands, what do you recommend and why? JJs? Ruby? Grooves? I'm really interested in preamp tube choices also.

Hopefully the following issues will be resolved once I throw some new tubes in there, but I'll ask them in anyway.

-The clean channel distorts way to easily, and sounds bad in general. I wasn't expecting a miraculous clean tone with a XXX, but this is bordering unusable. The pickups I'm using is a Dsonic and a blue velvet, and even heavy picking with the blue velvet will drive the amp.

-Excessive feedback! Even with the cable unplugged from the amp, when turned up really high, it will start feedbacking. Strange!

-Hum. I was kind of expecting it, and will start using a noise gate from now on I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 AM

Reviews: 39
Re: Peavey XXX issues

Alot depends on your preferences, and what kind of music you are playing.

I am very partial to Electro-Harmonix tubes in my preamp (or Mesa's which are usually re-stamped EH tubes). They are ultra-low microphonic, have great clean sounds, beautiful harmonics and good gain. Alot of people prefer the chinese tubes to the russians (or slovokian JJ's) but I find the JJ's to be "gushier" and while the gain and harmonics are good, the articulation isn't as tight as the russian tubes.

I run Ruby 6L6s in my 5150 to contrast that sound. Tons of power and staunch breakup. Now, in my Mesa/Boogie, I use Electro-Harmonix 6L6s which are much cleaner and slightly louder.

Remember that V1 is gonna be your main slot for gain, as its going to control the majority of your gain sound. So if you put a Sovtek in V1 and EHs in the rest, you'll have a gritty gain, but clean harmonics. Or vice versa, if you put an EH in V1 and JJ's in the rest, your gain will be gushy and full, but your cleans will be full and harmonically balanced. Its tube math!

Edit: TAD tubes are worth every penny and sound AWESOME!

Last edited by SonicProvocateur; 11-10-2009 at 12:40 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
rgr

Re: Peavey XXX issues

I really like Tung Sol 12AX7s, I had those and a set of EH 6CA7s (bias like EL34s) in a XXX Combo and it sounded great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode