Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX - Anything Wrong? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX - Anything Wrong?

Musician's Friend has marked these down from $949 to $499. Is there some problem with this amp? The non-EFX model is still $849.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 06:36 PM

Re: Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX - Anything Wrong?

Yea, it's not a Marshall...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 PM

Got mine used for $400 in MINT condition and absolutely love it!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:39 PM

do you guys like it better than the peavey XXL 212 combo?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-25-2005, 09:45 PM

oops double post, sorry

Last edited by carlos grijalva; 12-25-2005 at 09:52 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I've read some reviews that say they are noisy (hum). Can anyone confirm that?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:35 AM

They are a steal for that price. Get it now before its too late. Its far better than the XXL, as the XXX is tube and XXL is SS.

And most high gain amps hum when using high gain settings. If you find it a problem, buy a noisegate.

And to the moron saying its not a marshall, any new marshall for 499 is a solid state piece of ****.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM

What i meant was that if the XXL is allright for a SS amp?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:27 PM

the xxl is one of the best soild state amps around IMO. I bought me a super 40 from MF today . 499 is a hell of a deal . theortically 50 tube watts is only about 6 db quiter then 100 watts tube . 50 watts tube is like 120 watts soild state.

before if bought my 5150 i had the choice of buying an xxx. I knew i was going to be happy with either one and a 5150 showed up locally so i snagged it . The deal on the xxx was too good to pass up so i have an xxx and 5150 now and both are really killer amps . Before i bought my 5150 i had an xxl . The xxl was great . It had good bass responce , and very very tube like dynamics but i was disapointed in the fact that it is SS and you can't effectivly overdrive a SS amp . Plus the xxl is loud but i needed to go ahead and upgrade to all tube because i'll be turing 18 july 06 and i'll be looking for a band to play with . So having a tube head makes the transition easy into a band because you have good equipment.

Last edited by j.arledge; 12-30-2005 at 04:30 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriK
They are a steal for that price. Get it now before its too late. Its far better than the XXL, as the XXX is tube and XXL is SS.

And most high gain amps hum when using high gain settings. If you find it a problem, buy a noisegate.
Any idea why the EFX model XXX is $499 while the non-EFX is still $849? I thought maybe the sound was adversely affected by the effects, even when turned off. I'm tempted to give one a try.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
the xxl is one of the best soild state amps around IMO. I bought me a super 40 from MF today . 499 is a hell of a deal . theortically 50 tube watts is only about 6 db quiter then 100 watts tube . 50 watts tube is like 120 watts soild state.

before if bought my 5150 i had the choice of buying an xxx. I knew i was going to be happy with either one and a 5150 showed up locally so i snagged it . The deal on the xxx was too good to pass up so i have an xxx and 5150 now and both are really killer amps . Before i bought my 5150 i had an xxl . The xxl was great . It had good bass responce , and very very tube like dynamics but i was disapointed in the fact that it is SS and you can effectivly overdrive a SS amp . Plus the xxl is loud but i needed to go ahead and upgrade to all tube because i'll be turing 18 july 06 and i'll be looking for a band to play with . So having a tube head makes the transition easy into a band because you have good equipment.
All right, thanks, thats what i wanted to know.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 04:28 PM

no i think they are just on close out . i was looking around and the xxx heads are not listed on a bunch of sites which leads me to belive that peavey has got somthing planned for winter namm .so I'am look for a new version of the xxx to be released at winter namm.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectriK
have you really used XXL and XXX in the first place?

Saying that XXX is better than XXL by basing on the fact that XXL is SS and XXX is tube without really trying it is as dumb as the guy saying "it's not a marshall"
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:11 PM

I tried out the XXX at my local music store once, 40 watter with on board effects. I didn't care so much for the effects but the tone was rather pleasing to my ears, you could get really nice modern distorted tones with lots of definition still retained, and turn down the guitar volume and the gain cleans up nicely.

I could hear Vai and EVH, and even modern metal tones all calling out to me in that amp.

Only if my fingers could follow.

The volume is really versatile as well. Turned down to bedroom levels the tone still retained its character and gain, 40watts is a really good size for even a club or a gig situation.

I loved it.

I say get it.

Christopher.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217

before if bought my 5150 i had the choice of buying an xxx. I knew i was going to be happy with either one and a 5150 showed up locally so i snagged it . The deal on the xxx was too good to pass up so i have an xxx and 5150 now and both are really killer amps . Before i bought my 5150 i had an xxl . The xxl was great . It had good bass responce , and very very tube like dynamics but i was disapointed in the fact that it is SS and you can't effectivly overdrive a SS amp . Plus the xxl is loud but i needed to go ahead and upgrade to all tube because i'll be turing 18 july 06 and i'll be looking for a band to play with . So having a tube head makes the transition easy into a band because you have good equipment.
actually it 3 db
the XXL is one good amp by price standards alone, but putting it up against other SS amps and it blows alot of them away. i wouldn't say it was worse than a XXX, it just depends on what you need in your tone. if you want a big tube sound, go with the XXX, a great amp for the money and very capable of getting most of those clean/crunch/lead tones you need. same with the XXL, but if you want an uber clean amp that stays tight under pretty much any condition you can get it from the XXL.

also, how would having a tube head make getting into a band any easier?

Tags
distorted tone , distorted tones , guitar players , high gain amp , local music store , marshall dsl , music store , palm mute , peavey xxl , tube amp , tube head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode