Peavy 6505+ combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By hilljack13
  • 2 Post By BigBazz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Peavy 6505+ combo

Question is if you were to upgrade from a Peavy 6505+ Combo what would you look for. I'm into hard rock and metal. I have a few pedals I am still trying out but my playing area keeps me from pushing the volume up much. I'll be retired in a few years and will be able to crank it up so looking for something that will fit me then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:06 AM

Re: Peavy 6505+ combo

What would you like from an amplifier that the 6505+ is not providing?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
That would be easy to answer if I knew what other amps sounded like. I have only had the peavy in a loft and basement. Not able to crank it up. Just want to see if any others have any thoughts on the peavy vs something like a Mesa, etc.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:14 PM

Hard to really give recommendations if you don't know what you're looking for. The 6505 is an iconic hard rock/metal amp, and one of the most recorded platforms in metal since its initial introduction as the Peavey 5150 in the 1990s, it's a killer amp. There are a lot of killer amps out there, but without knowing what you're looking for it's hard to recommend. Of course the EVH 5150III is highly popular modern take on the high gain modern amp, and a lot of live touring acts and modern players have moved away from traditional amps to digital based systems like the Axe-FX and other units like the Kemper/Helix.

Really you need to get an idea for yourself what kinda tone you're looking for, and what kinda functionality you'd prefer. Easy to advise then.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljack13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
That would be easy to answer if I knew what other amps sounded like. I have only had the peavy in a loft and basement. Not able to crank it up. Just want to see if any others have any thoughts on the peavy vs something like a Mesa, etc.
Keep in mind, the 6505+ has a lot of gain that few amps can match. If you like that aspect, I’m not sure how to get a better version of what you already have. I am no 6505+ expert though.

I am pretty familiar with Mesa’s amps. The amps currently in production that stand out to me are the Triple Crown and JP-2C. Mesa makes great amp demo videos that I recommend you watch because hearing each amp is more informative than any description I can give.

www.mesaboogie.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:12 AM

If your 6505+ has an effects loop in series not parallel, you can add a synergy preamp module to you amp and essentially have a whole new amp. Steve vai just switched because carvin is closing it's doors. Essentially the preamp module bypasses your preamp where all your tone is. It has plug and play modules that allow you to have many different options depending on how many modules you decide to buy. Check it out, it's all tube and most modules are backed by the company who the modules are modeled after such as saldano, diesel, engl ect.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

So I'm only asking, based on experience of other players, what other amps or upgrades would you do if you had the same amp. As stated before I have only been able to get at a low level of volume on the amp because of my location to neighbors. IF I can crank this thing up it might be a different story, but I have yet to hear it past 2 on the volume. Just wanting some insight on others experience and what upgrades or amp changes you made. I want an amp that can do a heavy metal, rock; I am working with the MT2, ML2, HM2, and DigiTech Death metal pedals. Appreciate any insight. Still working on how to use the peavy to it's full potential as well so any thoughts on that is appreciated as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Have you thought about an attenuator/soak or whatever they're called? This lets you turn the amp up more to get the thing "cooking" so the power stage more involved, but the attenuator "eats" the volume before it gets to the speakers?

The other thing to do would be to look at getting something like a Helix to give you more sonic options and run that with the 6505.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:49 AM

I have a similar situation with my amp. It's a peavey jsx 120 watt half stack and i live in a town house. i looked at your amps controls and they are quite different than mine but i think i can solve your issue. I run a morely volume plus pedal in my effects loop. I have my master volume set to 7.5 and my channel volumes somewhere around 4, so as you can tell that is way loud for practice volumes with a 120 watt head. Especially in a town house community. The morely has a button and a knob on the pedal that when pressed the knob controls how how quiet or loud the amp is when the pedal is all the way down.

This is great because you are pumping the power amp and still get great tone but without ridiculous volume. I mainly bought it so if i gig at a place that doesn't like how loud i am... i don't lose tone.

So basically the pedal in the effects loop turns your output down. If you run it through the front of your amp it will act like a volume knob on your guitar. I hope this helps.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljack13 View Post
I want an amp that can do a heavy metal, rock; I am working with the MT2, ML2, HM2, and DigiTech Death metal pedals. Appreciate any insight. Still working on how to use the peavy to it's full potential as well so any thoughts on that is appreciated as well.
Well you've got a Peavey 6505, so you don't need any of those pedals. The strength of the 6505 and the whole reason anyone buys one is for the lead channel, which has made it one of the most recorded amps in metal for the last 25 years. if you're using "Metal" pedals you're kinda missing the point of the amp. I'd rather recommend you try a tubescreamer or similar overdrive pedal if you need a boost or to tighten up the front end and rely on the 6505 for the actual tone.

The rest depends on what you need effects wise for the loop (Reverb, Delay etc?), the only good reason to move away from your current amp from a tone perspective is if you want something more feature full or with a better clean channel, want something that works at lower volumes or just want to experiment. Of course there are tonnes of awesome sounding amps out there, but from a heavy metal perspective they are all really just side steps from a 6505, the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier is the only other amp that has featured on as many metal records in this last 25 years.

Have you considered the modelling side of things? Axe-FX is quite expensive but the Helix has many affordable options. I mean it aint going to sound as good as a 6505 Lead channel, but it will be usable at any volume level, provide you with much better cleans, many other amp sounds to experiment with and a bunch of effects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode