Pedal Mod Workshop!!!!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Reviews: 98
Pedal Mod Workshop!!!!!

Alright Jemsiters--this is another "Alaskabat Gives Back To The Community" thread.

Ever since you folks found out that I mod pedals, then started building my own--a bunch of you have pounded me with questions. I know several of you are pretty handy with a soldering iron, too.
What I'd like to do is, conduct a series of "classes" that you could follow at your own pace. I won't post them here, but rather--on my DIY blog.

I'll start with some very simple mods, then work you guys up to a full, but simple build. I'll post diagrams for you to follow, pics of what we're doing and possibly a video or two.

I already posted a simple tutorial for my "nephew" Damian on how to just swap out a pedal LED indicator.

I'll only do this if I have enough interested members. While it's pretty simple, I don't want to waste time prepping the tuts if there aren't many members that will use them. Let's make 10 the magic number.

That said--use this thread as an interest gauge. Post a reply that just states you're interested
I don't need a PM or story on why this time...lol.

However, if you'd like me to cover something in particular, then shoot me a PM on your idea.
I'd really like to see you guys get into modding and building. It's great fun and you can turn an inexpensive pedal into a personalized pedal. It will also provide you with the building blocks for your future mods and builds. I'll even go into painting enclosures, adding graphics and the best tools for the jobs.

Even if you aren't interested in dabbling in the circuit world--you might still be interested in just refinishing your existing pedals with new paint or graphics
I'd like to get it started within the week, so please start replying here with interest.

I will tell you up front--I'm not sharing all of my secrets, but these lessons will give you what you need to hone your skills and provide enough for you to apply what you learn to your own ideas.
With that, I'll also be happy to help you guys out with your own mods and builds. Everyone who participates and shares pics and progress will get my "classroom" email address to correspond for Q&A and any other help you need.

All I ask in return for this valuable info, is that you pass on the info you learn and help others out someday with it.

So, let the fun begin.......

Here's one that's on my bench right now--Treva's special pedal.
Just to provide an example of what YOU'LL be able to accomplish after you've learned the basics:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...626_172207.jpg

Here's the tut I did for Damian on changing an LED:

http://diyguitarpainting.blogspot.com/?m=0

Also, my blog covers other stuff--so please don't mind the geeky side.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 07-22-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM

Re: Pedal Mod Workshop!!!!!

I'm very interested in learning.
Nelson
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM

I'm interested... after looking at Treva's pedal in the link you provided the circuit board looks pretty basic. Can't wait to learn more!
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Alright--2 on the list. Just need 8 more to get it going...

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
I'm interested... after looking at Treva's pedal in the link you provided the circuit board looks pretty basic. Can't wait to learn more!
It's actually one of the more complex builds, uses JFets and requires biasing and there are 2 separate circuit boards that go into that build. I'll be teaching a much simpler build and mods. But--you could always take a crack at these complex builds later.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Great idea. If I wasn't so bad with soldering boards (just ask the unfinished mess of a TS I attempted that's sitting in my desk drawer!) I'd be down like a clown.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 15

Very interested over here!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
Great idea. If I wasn't so bad with soldering boards (just ask the unfinished mess of a TS I attempted that's sitting in my desk drawer!) I'd be down like a clown.
Perfect reason for you to participate!

I'll be starting off with "Soldering 101" and safety before we begin the real work.
Seems like you really want to mod that TS, but just need help with the basics--that's why I'm doing this.
This is your chance to get started and do it right.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Perfect reason for you to participate!

I'll be starting off with "Soldering 101" and safety before we begin the real work.
Seems like you really want to mod that TS, but just need help with the basics--that's why I'm doing this.
This is your chance to get started and do it right.
Well as long as there aren't any deadlines or homework if I enroll in AlaskaBat's School of Pedal Modding Wizardy, then colour me interested
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidley View Post
Well as long as there aren't any deadlines or homework if I enroll in AlaskaBat's School of Pedal Modding Wizardy, then colour me interested
I hereby color you---PURPLE.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I hereby color you---PURPLE.
Yussssssssssssssssss!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone else?
Need about 6 more to green light this...

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM

I'm in! I'd love to start modding my own cheaper pedals that I still have.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Count me in! Have a soldering station at work for lunch time projects.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That's 6---need a few more to make this happen

Tags
diy , effects , mods , pedals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode