Pedal Mods... what are you guys looking for? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Pedal Mods... what are you guys looking for?

Hi guys. I've always been a gear junky with a soft spot specifically for od/distortion pedals. I've owned many types and brands over the years and have been on the hunt for the perfect od/dist pedal that feels, sounds and responds like my favorite amp.

The funny thing is that all my amps are pretty much high gainers and I don't have a need for a distortion pedal, although I can't seem to resist the attraction to them And occasionally... at an open mic night or jam I'll have to play through an amp, like a fender deluxe, and actually need a pedal to get a dirty tone.

So, intrigued by pedals and tweaking them, I got into pedal modding.
I found another local guy that fixes/mods/repairs amps and pedals and started learning from him. I'm really enjoying the process of r&d... and I got to thinking and wondering "what pedals" do guys turn to for their tone. Like for SRV, Eric Johnson, and others it was the tube screamer.... For Satch, & Vai it was the Boss DS-1. So, I started modding a few of these favorites and have been getting really great results. Here's a quick little video demo I did for a modded ts9: http://youtu.be/maXZtmRQo4w

So, basically what I'd like to know is:
1) What is your "go to" overdrive or distortion pedal(s)?
2) And what would you change about it or add to it to make it even better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Pedal Mods... what are you guys looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Regal View Post
The funny thing is that all my amps are pretty much high gainers and I don't have a need for a distortion pedal, although I can't seem to resist the attraction to them
Nobody(unless they're noobs) put a distortion pedal in front of a high gain amp because they need more gain.
They put it as a boost, gain at zero and volume at 10 will send a hotter signal to the amp, this will give definition to lower notes and more attack to higher ones, it has nothing to do with "they need a distortion pedal because their higain amps are...........weak".
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

6fingers, I understand what you're saying... In your case, what od pedal do you prefer and how would you modify it to make it even better?

Or, say you don't have access to your marshall and you're stuck playing through an amp that is much cleaner, what distortion pedal do you guys turn to for a dirty tone.

Or, for you guys that prefer playing through a clean amp with a bunch of stomp boxes, what distortion pedals do you turn to for a dirty sound... and what mods would you do to them to make them better(if you could).
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Regal View Post
6fingers, I understand what you're saying... In your case, what od pedal do you prefer and how would you modify it to make it even better?

Or, say you don't have access to your marshall and you're stuck playing through an amp that is much cleaner, what distortion pedal do you guys turn to for a dirty tone.

Or, for you guys that prefer playing through a clean amp with a bunch of stomp boxes, what distortion pedals do you turn to for a dirty sound... and what mods would you do to them to make them better(if you could).
I never used booster pedals cause the only amp I always had is a mesa rack with triaxis and 2.90 poweramp, it doesn't need any booster, to my ears of course.
If I had to play through a clean amp, I'd prefer using a multi effects like boss gt10, I hate distortion pedals through clean amps, never liked, in fact I hate distortion pedals, I like them as boosters like I said but I hate them as the main distortion.A multi effects like gt10 has all boss distortion pedals, you can choose the one that will fit better the amp you're playing through.
The idea of modifing a pedal to make it better is wrong, the right way to put it is you'll modify a pedal to make it suit better to an expecific amp but it could sound crap with other amps so it's not making it better but matching its sound to a particular amp you have

Last edited by 6fingers; 08-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

My go-to pedals are the ones I've either built or heavily modded.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Nobody(unless they're noobs) put a distortion pedal in front of a high gain amp because they need more gain.
I think this is a pretty silly blanket statement. It really depends on what people are going for.

I use a cranked distortion pedal in front of my amp for an over the top "double distortion" effect in a couple of songs that my band plays. It's not on all the time, but it makes a certain sound.

Take a listen to Nine Inch Nails "Wish". That's a song we cover in a more punk/metal way, and to pull off the verse distortion tone I double up on distortion to get that sound. I also use the extra high gain distortion for a particular riff in one of our originals to get that crazy glitchy distorted fuzz sound.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I think this is a pretty silly blanket statement. It really depends on what people are going for.
You just reinforced my point.......people don't put distortion pedals in front of higain amps because their AMPS need more distortion, like you just said, they put because THEY need them to get an expecific effect etc and not their higain amps need them because they're weak.If a higain amp needs more distortion, or it's not higain or it has a flu.You can put even a hundred distortion pedals in front of it but because YOU want that effect and not because your amp needs them.

Some people think they'll buy a higain amp, put a distortion pedal in front of it, set everything on 10 and get that wall of sound they hear in cds.
That's the opposite, the less distortion the more definition it has and sounds bigger and wide, having mutiple guitars playing the same thing is what gives that wall of sound and not the amount of distortion.

Last edited by 6fingers; 08-22-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Adding info.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM

Not exactly, going off your statement, I needed more gain. That's why I used a distortion pedal turned right up in addition to the dirty channel on my amp.

But you are right about people trying to replicate recorded sounds with too much distortion. I learnt a long time ago that too much distortion really is no good, as you lose crunch and definition. That is unless you are trying to replicate something where the original artist purposely used insane amounts of distortion or fuzz for effect.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not exactly, going off your statement, I needed more gain. That's why I used a distortion pedal turned right up in addition to the dirty channel on my amp.

But you are right about people trying to replicate recorded sounds with too much distortion. I learnt a long time ago that too much distortion really is no good, as you lose crunch and definition. That is unless you are trying to replicate something where the original artist purposely used insane amounts of distortion or fuzz for effect.
If you needed more gain it means you're amp wasn't really higain.There's no way to add more distortion to a rectifier without completely ruining the sound, it's higain and above 6 is too much distortion already.That's a higain amp, you never need more distortion, you need a booster to get definition but if you turn up gain(pedal), sound becomes noise, tone becomes hell.That's why I always said I don't like Marshalls cause to make them sound good, you need a lot of tools like pedals as an example.Everytime I recorded Marshalls, I needed pedals and a lot of tweeking in daw.
Of course people can use distortion pedals with higain amps, like you said to get an expecific effect or to add distortion to an amp which is clearly not higain or there's a new kind of higain like, almost hi gain lol.I'm tired of seeing players cranking up their amps with gain above 7-8 and a distortion pedal with gain at 5, that's noise, if you record that, you'll see how it sounds like a truck passing through a big metal pipe.
Once people read and learn how audio, distortion, effects etc work, they start to get what they want, those who never learn keep their entire lives buying, buying and buying but never get it.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM

You should explain that to John Petrucci. Plenty of videos of him playing with the gain at MAX
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM

It's all semantics, we're both essentially saying the same thing. You're initial statement was too open ended, that's why I said it was a pretty silly blanket statement.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's all semantics, we're both essentially saying the same thing. You're initial statement was too open ended, that's why I said it was a pretty silly blanket statement.
Semantics are the sh!t, aren't them?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
You should explain that to John Petrucci. Plenty of videos of him playing with the gain at MAX
I'd never do that, you know famous guitarists are Gods, people swallow whatever they do or say, if I said hey Johnny turn gain down cause that's noise, somebody would scream...hey shut up you Petrucci wannabe, who are you?Do you have your own guitar models?Does Mesa give you gear?

Hey Steve turn off that fan, it blows your hair over the crowd!
Shut up man, who do you think you are?That fan blows oompa loompa songs in Vai ears, that's the ultimate inspiration!

The funniest fight ever would be between two famous guitarists with big egos and their fanboys poking each others on Twitter
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM

ROFL!! Too true mate And I agree BTW, too much gain usually spells crap.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Yep--too much distortion, and the notes get lost and garbled.
The exception to using a distortion in front of a high gain amp is to have the pedal's distortion knob backed way off and using the pedal as a booster.

Tags
boss pedal mods , pedal mods , tube screamer mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode