Pedal power supply question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Pedal power supply question

I just picked up a BOSS CE-5 and used a 9v power supply and the power supply blew out. I could hear something pop. Before this the pedal wasn't working with it anyway, I go no sound. So I went and got a 9v battery to make sure the pedal is OK, and it works perfect. Now I need a new PS, I looked at the tech specs and the pedal requires 9v/200mA (the one I had was 9v/500mA, but it was old). The recommended one is PSA-120 but it's discontinued and replacement is 120S or T, but they have different specks...Long story short does anyone use these for the ce-5? I don't want to spend the extra money if not needed but I don't want to keep having my ps go bad on me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:04 AM

Re: Pedal power supply question

Any voltage stabilized power supply with 9V and minimum 200mA will do. Original 120S or T is fine also, which one does not matter. With the Boss you don't have to worry about the plug size and the polarity.
A quality brand device is more expensive, but will most likely be more hum-free and live longer.

Like you wrote, your PS with 500mA cannot have been overloaded and probably just failed because it was old.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
Any voltage stabilized power supply with 9V and minimum 200mA will do. Original 120S or T is fine also, which one does not matter. With the Boss you don't have to worry about the plug size and the polarity.
A quality brand device is more expensive, but will most likely be more hum-free and live longer.

Like you wrote, your PS with 500mA cannot have been overloaded and probably just failed because it was old.
Thanks, I think I just needed some reassurance. The PS was like 10+ years old.

Off topic - You from Germany? I just spent 3 years in Stuttgart.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljack13 View Post
Thanks, I think I just needed some reassurance. The PS was like 10+ years old.

Off topic - You from Germany? I just spent 3 years in Stuttgart.
Great, so you know Germany very well. What did you do here?
Long ago i had a friend from Tempa Bay.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I was stationed there for the military. I'm sad now 'cause I'm about to miss Frühlingsfest.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 12:56 PM

What worked for me, and may not be the answer is the joyo JP-01 power supply. It is inexpensive, has a small foot print for a "power brick" and has 8 9v ports and 2 18v ports for more power hungry pedals. I use mine all the time.

Tags
ce-5 , psa-120

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode