Pedal(s) to capture that Iced Earth sound. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Pedal(s) to capture that Iced Earth sound.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew what distortion pedal, as well as any other pedals, could best capture that Iced Earth, brutal metal sound.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 06:27 PM

A metal zone would probably do the best but you aren't gonna come any closer than a high-gain tube amp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 03:24 AM

i agree, since you aint looking for a tube warmth. the Metal Zone sounds crap in comparison, but it'll give you a (cold) wall of sound.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, in terms of amps then, which should I take a look at?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 10:31 AM

JCM 800 modded a JCM 900 a rectum frier could do it. I do it quite well with my Zinky Mofo actually. I cna get ti with the Mark IV too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 02:15 AM

Modded Marshall-ish high gain amps will do the trick.. Might be possible on a recto, but I'd have to hear it to believe it.. A Mark IV would be much closer to that sound than a DR, IMO..

Basically, a JCM800 with a OD in front, JCM900 SLX(no clean, but sounds 1000x better than the other 900s), or the 30th anny.. DSL or TSL should be able to get that tone as well, or at least close enough..

High-end you could go Soldano or maybe Bogner... Or have a JCM800 modded out. But most people(like me) don't have that much $$ floating around to blow on an amp..

Cheaper alteratives.. Laney GH50L/GH100L, I'm buying a GH50L in a week or so, and these sound sweet for that upper-mid thrash tone.. No clean, so not much on versitility..

Peavey 5150 might do it, but I've never played one.. Same with the Carvin MTS3200, might be good, but I don't know...

The thing about IE's tone is it's centered more in the the upper mids, so you have to look for something geared for that.. If you were still looking for a pedal, might wanna try out a Marshall Jackhammer, or something in that vibe.. The Metalzone, to me, is too thin and buzzy for it's own good..

The rest is in the hands.. I think John Schaffer sleeps with a pick in his hand at night, and it twitches in that chug---chug-chug-chug pattern all night.. I dunno how the hell he plays that part in the 1st song on the demons&wizads record at that speed.. Most people can't even play lead that fast..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Toshiro:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will definately start saving up and trying out my options for the best results. It's too bad Jon Shaffer uses a darn custom amp, and getting one built takes upwards of a couple years..

On the subject of his picking style, I never found it difficult to perform, until recently. Nearly everything of his I've heard I've been able to easily replicate, until last week, when my hand just refused to perform the rapid sweeps he does. I can force my hand to do it, but it tires very quickly; I've never had to exert force before to do it. Strange, and a huge hit in my playing.

Anyway, a friend of mine suggested, for a good thrashy tone, to try out the Metal Driver pedal, though I don't know how it might compare to Shaffer's tone, as he has never heard Iced Earth (sacriligious whackjob).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 08:21 PM

Heh, I had to relearn the whole gallop thing, as I was used to the more death-metal like 'reverse' version, with the accented note after the standard 3-note gallop..

I've got it down now, and stuff like Travel in Stygian or The Coming Curse is easy, but that Demons&Wizards thing just throws me for a loop.. Sounds almost like accented trem-picking, even though I know it's not... Almost too fast.

But anyway... Try out a lot of gear if you can, everyone's tastes are slightly different.. I used to drool over the recto tone, till I played one and realized I just didn't like it all that much.. lol

A lot of ppl go on and on about how a Carvin Legacy doesn't have enough gain for metal.. I agree to a point, I wouldn't use it for death-metal(which is why I won't get a Legacy), but for Thrash it sounds pretty sweet.. This is through V30's though, that might have something to do with it..

If you do go looking at amp heads, plug it in to a few different cabs.. This makes more of a difference than you'd think..

Tags
amp head , amp heads , distortion pedal , high gain amp , modded marshall , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode