Pedalboard Help - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Pedalboard Help

Within the past year I decided I really needed to upgrade/replace just about all my guitar equipment.

So I started with the obvious and bought a new S470 on the cheap and replaced the pups with a tonezone and a humbucker from hell. Next I bought a 5150 halfstack from a friend for a good price.

Now that the obvious stuff is out of the way I started concentrating on my pedal board and realized I hadn't ever really focused on it before lol
It consists of a volume pedal, a crybaby, a tubescreamer, a boss flanger and a Old Korg G1 Distortion processor.

I'm wondering 1) what are some things that you guys would suggest I pick up while I'm reworking my pedal layout, and 2) Even though I'm really fond of the distortion I get from the Korg I'd really like to free up the chunk of space it takes so I was thinking of getting a metal zone or a keeley metal zone to replace it, does that sound like a good idea?

I play in a metal band but I want versatile equipment so any suggestions or comments are very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Gex

Re: Pedalboard Help

A Metal Zone when youve got a 5150?

SCREW that man, the 5150 is one of the best metal amps out there.

If I were you, I'd:

*Loose the Korg
*Loose the Boss (sell 'em on the bay!)
*Get an Ibanez FL9 Flanger (best flanger Ive heard for around $100, beats the pants off the Boss, Analog -> Digital anyday)
*Get a MXR Phase 100 (IMO, 10x more controllable than the 90)
*Get a Visual Sound H20, that'll knock out Chorus and Delay in one pedal!

What kind of Tubescreamer is it? Maxon? Ibanez? TS-9? TS-808? TS-10? TS-5?

Tubescreamers are handy, I'd keep that.

What volume pedal is it? if its a Ernie Ball or Boss, keep it. Rogue? Toss it.

What kind of crybaby? GCB-95? 95Q? Classic? Fasel? Hendrix? Vintage? 535Q?

If its the GCB-95, Id have it modded, they have a terrible tone sucking bypass, Id have true bypass installed on it.

After all that, I'd strap it all down with velcro and knock myself out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:47 PM

delay pedals are very good for fatting up your tone.boss DD-3 or DD-6 and go a boss keeley ultra DS-1..keep everything incase you might need it again..
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I'm gonna replace the tubes in the 5150 before I buy a new distortion pedal for sure. I really like the sound of the 5150 lead channel but it gives off a terrible hissing that I'm hoping some new tubes can clear up for me. That and the fact the guy I bought it from had only replaced them with some Ruby tubes back in 98' or 99' convinced me that some new tubes should work miracles on that thing.

The crybaby is a GCB-95 and I've thought of doing a bypass mod on it but never took the time to find the directions for it.

The tubescreamer is a TS-9 that spent about 7 of the past 10 years sitting in a drawer alongside a Turbo Rat. I finally pulled it back out and started using it again.

Like I said, I kinda just realized that other than a decent distortion pedal (10 years ago) I had really neglected my pedals and hadn't really kept up with any new models and companies.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 AM

You shouldn't need a distortion pedal with the 5150, period. Other than that which of your pedals do you not like? Replace those. Do you feel like you're missing something from your sound? You don't need to go hog wild replacing stuff if you like what you've got.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 PM
rgr

There's nothing wrong with using a distortion pedal as a boost with a 5150, I always have some kind of distortion pedal with the output set high and the distortion set low. That way I have my rhythm sound and then punch the boost for solos, makes 'em stand out more. You can get carried away with it, but I like the sound of hitting a high gain amp harder for solos. A Metal Zone on the other hand, ugh (IMHO), I don't really like those at all, even into a clean amp.

BTW, I don't use a 5150, I use a old Kasha preamp and it rocks and has a great modded Marshall high gain sound.

$0.02,
Roger
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:27 AM

Reviews: 1

I have a 5150 II and playing a distortion pedal thru it would be a kick in the balls!

Tags
delay pedal , delay pedals , distortion pedal , ernie ball , high gain amp , modded marshall , mxr phase , pedal board , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode