Pedals/Effects Everyone Should Own - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Pedals/Effects Everyone Should Own

I'm Not sure if a thread like this has come up before, But I wanted to know what you all thought The must have/Industry Standard Pedals and effects are. The kinda thing everyone should have on the pedal board and just need to try at least once.

Obvious example would be a tubescreamer, its seems to be used by everyone and the circuit has been used in so many pedals.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Pedals/Effects Everyone Should Own

the tubescreamer is of course the highest one. i dont like the boss ds-1 though.

The digitech whammy.
a morley or good crybaby.
any good chorus pedal
EHX holy grail and boss dd-6.

If you have a good amp, this is the perfect pedalboard. if your poor get a digitech RP and all of your troubles are solved lol
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You know, this is a great topic! I dson't use many pedals anymore due to my POD XT Live, but I've been through most of the popular ones over the past 28 years. The Boss DS-1 is crap, unless it's modded. The Tubescreamer TS-808 is tops! The Tubescreamer TS-9 kicks ass stock, but really shines when modded. The Boss OD-1 and 2 are decent stock. I hate the Metal Zone! The ony pedal I use now, if not running into the POd, is the Jemini. I actually really like it when set properly. It's similar to having a modded DS-1 on one side and a TS-9 on the other. Sounds great when pumping my Legacy head.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Reviews: 120

Modified DS-1 is the bomb. Ive modified my MT-2 using only a few parts and it sounds amazing now. Fantastic distortion if you dont have a good dirty channel on your amp.

I reckon the Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper is about the perfect delay to have on your board too. Great analogue, digital, modulated, tape echo, lo-fi, reverse delay, slap back, and 30 second looper. Everything a guitar player could want in one pedal.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

I think the highest on the "everyone should own" list is a Green Overdrive.
Be it a TS808/OD808 or a clone of some kind, everyone should own something with this circuit in their life as a guitarist!

Other than that there aren't really any "definitive" circuits, that I can think of at least, of any other effect/pedal type.
In terms of things like Chorus and things like that it's really an opinion call so it's hard to have one circuit that many players will choose overall.

If you're into Phaser I'd say an MXR Phase 90 would be pretty definitive, though not one for every guitarist, hell, I never even use Phaser! It'd be hard to justify buying one!

The Dunlop Crybaby wah was mentioned earlier I believe, where I think many will own this, and many think this is the wah sound, I know of many who will go the complete opposite direction, and in a similar price range will go for Vox, or will just go straight to the more expensive ones, bypassing Dunlop completely.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Tuner
Tubescreamer or similar.
Wah (Dunlop is my choice)
Digitech Whammy.
Good delay: Timefactor or Memory Man
Parallel compressor (Š la Barber Tone Press)

That's pretty much my board.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:32 PM

There is some good stuff listed here. Im gonna go with good cables. Spend the extra few bucks and by yourself an expensive cable. Really does make a sonic difference.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 AM

Reviews: 34

Tube screamer
DS1
CS1 compressor/sustainer
Cry Baby
or
Morley wah
Chorus
Delay
Flanger or Phaser.

I don't have all of these exactly, but I think that would cover you for most situations.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 PM

MXR Phase 90
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Talkbox's are a must have!!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 AM

It really depends on what your style is. A good country player might need a guitar, a cord,and an amp. The Edge needs an engineer to turn the knobs for him.

For me it's.....

Wah
Overdrive - I use a modded SD-1
Delay

If I'm using an amp with no drive channel I would want a distortion pedal too.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pedals/Effects Everyone Should Own

Thanks for posting this thread!

I have absolutely nothing of value to add as I a man electric guitar "noob", But I am getting some good ideas here
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 AM

An EQ pedal. Never had one until this year and I don' know how I managed so long without one.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Reviews: 1

1.- Keeley compresor ( worth the money, can't play without it )
2.- A wah pedal (Dunlop, vox)
3.- BB preamp from xotic effects (a Fat & warm light overdrive that can push a clean or drive channel of your amp, I like this one over any tubescreamer )
4.- A good dist (stay away from boss, they suck! lol )
5.- Delay - chorus (do yourself a favor and get an "analog" Fat&warm sounding pedal), a whammy and other ef
6.- ISP decimator (a must have noise supresor)
7.- An extra EQ pedal (great for your final tone, I use an MXR M-108 )
8.- If your amp is 100w or something like that, to get the best of your amp tubes (volume up!!), If you want the sound of your cranked amp at low volumes, get some atenuator like the "THD hotplate" so you can get the best of the tubes at any volume.

Put this in front of a good tube amp, with good tubes and good speakers an you are gonna get a nice tone. For me, this is it. lol

Last edited by Vintage_freak_forever; 11-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Reviews: 65

a guitar
a line6 digital wireless system
an AxeFx
a FRFR power monitor
a midi floorboard

and your good...

Tags
boss , boutique , pedal , pedal board , tubescreamer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode