planet waves locking tuners and setup? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

planet waves locking tuners and setup?

I was thinking about getting the planet waves tuners on my RG and my Jem... do you think this would be a problem with setting up my guitar when I have to loosen the string to move the saddle?

thanks

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Gex

Re: planet waves locking tuners and setup?

I talked with a guitar tech at my local store about those tuners. He said they get alot of them back in because they're cheaply made and they loose their cutting ability after a while. He said they definately have some good, thoughtful ideas, but the production quality just isn't that great.

He said Sperzels are THE tuners, and after trying some guitars with Sperzels, I must agree. They're awesome. Schaller makes some that are pretty good as well.

I would reccomend Sperzels. Just get yourself a nice pair of heavy duty wire cutters and string clipping is a snap.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:48 PM

Sperzels break and slip a lot too. I've had much better luck with the Schallers myself.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Reviews: 7

I have some Sperzels and they've never slipped for me, you have to make sure you tighten them enough, although still only hand tight
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:19 PM

I know that much. They were decent with 9s, but 10s or 11s forget it. They would always slip and when I tighten them more they break so they no longer lock.

I need to replace my current set yet again. This time I think I will try something else, like Schallers.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks... but how do you do a set-up if you want to slack the string?????
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:23 AM

I've used 10's and 11's and they've still given me no problems, and I've never tightened them down to the point of the breaking. Maybe I just have a really nice set(possibly a quality control problem???)... I dunno either that or luck
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone
I've used 10's and 11's and they've still given me no problems, and I've never tightened them down to the point of the breaking. Maybe I just have a really nice set(possibly a quality control problem???)... I dunno either that or luck
You're lucky. I'm getting Schallers or probably just non lockers for it as soon as I get the cash together.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM
rgr

Why do you want locking tuners on a Jem or RG? Both have locking nuts, so locking tuners are overkill. Unless it's a lower end RG, then it's debatable whether it's worth the investment. The stock Gotohs are fine, if you have a problem with one of those, just replace it with another Gotoh.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM
Gex

???

Why would it be overkill?

Do you know how locking tuners work?

String changing is hard enough with a floyd, and locking tuners would make it alot easier and faster and frustration-free. Thats the main benefit I see from locking tuners.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
???

String changing is hard enough with a floyd, and locking tuners would make it alot easier and faster and frustration-free. Thats the main benefit I see from locking tuners.
I don't find locking tuners easier to change strings on at all. I actually think they create more work for me. The point of locking tuners is so the strings don't slip, but with a locking nut there is no point, and locking tuners are not as trem friendly either as the strings can still get stuck in the nut.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Gex

*scratches head*

Its ALOT easier, Instead of winding the string around the post over and over,

You just run it though tight, clamp, snip, and tune! Couldn't be faster.

Your not winding the string around the post with locking tuners are you?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex

Your not winding the string around the post with locking tuners are you?
Anybody with common sense would realise that on locking trem guitars you need those extra turns on the machine head, because the string is most likely to break at the trem. If you just put it straight through you wont have anywhere near enough string to restring. with the extra turns you have enough to restring using the old string instead of buying a new one. To me, locking tuners on a double-locking trem guitar seem pretty pointless and more of a hassle in the long run anyway. Each to his own though.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez.shredder
Anybody with common sense would realise that on locking trem guitars you need those extra turns on the machine head, because the string is most likely to break at the trem. If you just put it straight through you wont have anywhere near enough string to restring. with the extra turns you have enough to restring using the old string instead of buying a new one. To me, locking tuners on a double-locking trem guitar seem pretty pointless and more of a hassle in the long run anyway. Each to his own though.
I used to be really hard on strings, breaking a set every 2 or 3 days, but now I try to make them last until they sound bad. Usually by that time if a string breaks it needed to be changed anyways. Locking tuners do save plenty of time, and from the first time of lockdown they do stretch enough for them to break at the trem once and still be long enough to restring...once
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:52 PM
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
???

Yes, I have Sperzels on my ESP Eclipse, I find them more of a pain than regular tuners, but they stay in tune nicely. And I've been doing this for around 25+ years. I'll stick to regular tuners on my locking trem guitars, I have better things to spend $60 on, and like I said, I find regular tuners easier. If you have a problem stringing a guitar, well, no comment.

For poor man's locking tuner on guitars that you have to cut the balls off the string anyway, string it backwards, run the string through the tuner pull it so the ball end locks in the tuner, cut the string off, lock it in the trem, voila. And it only needs a couple of turns on the tuner, like a locking one. The bonus is that you also now won't poke you finger with the nasty ends of the little strings. This sometimes won't work on huge strings though, like low Bs on 7 strings, the ball end is often too big to go through the tuner hole.

$0.02,
Roger

Tags
guitar tech , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , planet waves , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode