Please Critique my Set up - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Please Critique my Set up

Hi
You may or may not have noticed that I am bombarding this forum with threads. This is because I am trying to piece together a great, versatile rig and get loads of great advice from you guys here.

So I've tried a few amps out and am very impressed with the Bogner Alchemist 212.
Effects-wise I'm very up for a TC Electronic Nova System, though the Axe FX was tempting it seemed like I would need an endless pile of money to get all the gear for it!

Along side the Nova System I'll run a Boss expression pedal and a wah of some description (see other thread).

So the rig will be:

Guitar---Wah---Volume/expression----Nova System-----Bogner Alchemist

I reckon this will be sweet but what do you guys think?

I might try running the fx in the loop, so I can use the alchemist's nice drive and just use the Nova for the other fx.

Anyway, thanks for reading and any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 PM

Re: Please Critique my Set up

Hey man. To be honest you have to find what works for you. Its that simple. However, I do think that having an Axe-FX alone in the FX loop would be overkill. From what I have heard this thing can do a whole host of things very well indeed. From amp models to FX.

Chris
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey
Thanks for the reply - I'm not putting an AxeFx in the loop LOL
I'm getting the Nova System and may run that in the loop or may not - I'll just mess about with it
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 PM

If you have the money and want to travel light just get an AxeFX Ultra and FRFR amp and speakers.

More than enough volume for home use and if you do gig then plug directly into the PA and use your FRFR setup as a monitor.

The AxeFX Ultra really has changed everything in my opinion.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes I've been down this road and think it would cost too much. Plus I'd need a footswitch for the AxeFx.

Do you own one and if so what is your set up and how much did it cost?

Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM

I understand your concerns about the cost but I think about it in a different way. How much do you think you will end up spending trying different amps, cabs, stomp boxes etc before you get the sound you like ? AxeFX one box, thatís it.

Donít forget Moores law, technology doubles in performance every 2 years or so. The AxeFX standard is already superseded and soon the Ultra will be also, so the second-hand market will reflect that.

Personally I am waiting for the AxeFX Ultra 2 which will hopefully have headphone sockets and USB 2.

I jumped on this whole modelling thing way too soon. I bought one of the first if not the first Digitech GSP2101 in the UK and although it is a stunning piece of kit (especially considering when it was released) it sounds like a transistor radio next to the AxeFX.

Honestly, I donít work for Fractal Audio but I think you should save your money and time trying other amps or solutions and just save like crazy for an AxeFX. I am doing the same as I know if I buy something else I will always know I could have a better sound if I had bought an AxeFX.

Itís painful waiting and saving but you will be pleased you did.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:02 AM

If you're set on the Nova system and want a cheaper rig, you could get a nice single channel tube amp and put the Nova in front of it. Get a nice clean sound from the amp and let the NS do the rest. An Egnater Rebel looks like a nice option for this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM

if you're going to run the nova system, put it in the loop.. it is still going to change your tone.. its going to absolultely KILL your tone if you put it in the front.. and whats the point of using an alchemist if you don't use its gain, right? really, you shouldn't need a multi-fx unit.. the alchemist has FX built in. what more do you need than delay, reverb, chorus, etc..

if you were going to buy a multi-fx unit, just go get the g-system.. the nova system is aimed towards people who want to run it into a clean amp..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 AM

Reviews: 59

I agree with most of what Shogun says. If you're getting Alchemist, at least at first, you shouldn't need the multi because of the built-in effects. What are you looking to do with this set-up, gigging? recording? just messing around and want good tone?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies people
I am looking to gig with it, but also recording and rehearsing.
I need great tone, versatility, durability, reliability and ease of transportation/set up - in my work I have a lot of styles to cover, and for my own pleasure I need some great high gain lead sounds.

The Alchemist only has reverb and delay - both sound pretty good but I would prefer the flexibility and control of having these effects on a multi fx.

The GSystem is nearly as much money as an Axe FX, so if I was to get either it would be the Axe.

I am still super tempted by the Axe - work is buying this gear for me, but are being a pain in the ass by not letting me know a ball park figure for budget.

What I may just do is make a few set up lists, itemised, take the 'dream' rig in to the Boss, and if he laughs at me and makes me lower my demands I'll take the next lower option in etc.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Reviews: 59

That's pretty sweet that you'd be getting something from work. I can understand the desire for the multi-fx better now. Might as well swing for the fences at first and see what it gets you.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Yea I'm in a pretty fortunate position, though I wont actually own the gear.

I'm extremely tempted again by the AxeFX Ultra.

tomorrow I'm going down to see the guy at work who is in charge of equipment purchasing with this list:

Axe FX Ultra
Atomic Reactor FR
Ground Control Pro
Boss Expression Pedal
A wah pedal of some description
Various cables etc (good ones)

May need a rack/case for the axe fx to protect it too

This should come to about £3000 +!!! Crazy money IMO
I hope they're ready for a shock LMAO
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
rgr

I looked into multi-fx including the Nova, the Boss GT-10, and the Digitech RP1000, I ended up with the RP1000. Great sounding models for direct recording but is set up to easily hook up in the "4 cable method" with a real amp, in fact you can universally turn off the amp/cab models with one button although I have different patches to use with an amp vs amp models. So, I just ended up selling off all my individual pedals except for a couple of OD pedals, and using the RP for everything. I'm really digging it right now and rarely turn on an amp at home, I just run the RP through my FP10 and monitors.

<$0.02...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode