Please help me choose an Amp and FX - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Please help me choose an Amp and FX

Hi Jemsite friends

I am rather lacking in knowledge of equipment and need to make the right purchase on an amp and effects.

There is sooooooo much choice out there and I am truly stumped.

Budget:

Amp £1000
FX £500

This budget can go up within reason

Current Amp = Fender FM212R

Current FX = cry baby wah--ProCo RAT2 distortion--Boss DD3

My fender amp is only cheap, but has done me proud over the 3 years I've owned it.
Now with some of the better gigs I've been doing lately, I need to upgrade to a more professional amp.

My own style is the usual: shred, fusion, rock etc, so i would like a rig that is good for this.

I was thinking something like a Bognor Alchemist, Carvin legacy or suchlike.

Another dilemma I am having is whether to go back to multi FX

If I get a nice amp, is it better to use a couple of stomp boxes to preserve the tone of the amp, or are there some good MultiFX you would recommend?

My thoughts are perhaps the POD XT Live or Boss GT10.

If you have read all this, and have some suggestions I am truly grateful!
I promise you I have tried to educate myself in this subject but it all just confuses the crap out of me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Please help me choose an Amp and FX

I can't really speak for either of the amps you've mentioned. I tried the Alchemist and I thought it was a fine amp with a good quality clean and dirty channel. I'm not a huge fan of amps, even higher up ones, having built-in effects, but that's just me. The legacy, other than being loud, usually gets high marks here. I haven't played it so I can't offer any thoughts. Of the two, with gigs in mind, I'd probably go with the Legacy.
As for effects, the crybaby and DD-3 are solid pedals. I'm not as familiar with the Rat but we're in personal taste territory anyway. I prefer individual units because they are usually more simple to understand and tweak than the digital copies. Still, both the multis you mentioned are good and would offer a lot of different effects that you could make use of. I would give the nod to the GT-10 for it's superior effects, flexibility and build quality. The Pod is generally thought to have better amp models. Neither is perfect, but the Boss is probably closer to what you're looking for as an effect processor.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:08 PM

You really can't get more value for money than a used Legacy

I got my head at $405.
Then you could spend the rest of the money upgrading the rest of your rig, and maybe get a nice GMajor to go along with it. Tons of cash left for food and drink
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses

I'm quite interested in a Marshall JVM 410C now, or perhaps a Vintage Modern
So many choices haha
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Reviews: 1

Try a small Mesa Boogie, Like a DC or an F series. Either you'll love it or hate it.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

My own view is that it really depends on your style and it sounds to me like you have a fairly straightforward tone, rather than a really heavily effected tone like the Edge from U2. And it sounds like you're primary use for the amp is gigging

With that in mind, I'd look for a decent valve amp, around the same format that your fender has ie 100w 2x12.

The Marshall you mention looks like a prime candidate to me Personally I'd be on the hunt for a Mesa 100w 2x12 DC, or Nomad or F series if there's one in your budget as I prefer the Mesa sound.

What I would ask though is do you really need a lot of effects for your sound or are they something that you like to have but in truth won't really use? If they're not a big part of your sound, stick to a few quality stomp boxes for gigging.

I don't know about what sounds you kids today are after but in smaller venues across the UK, too many effects tend to be lost on the audience if you're not careful.

But if you manage to pull off a really cool sound effect, no one in the audience will forget it
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Reviews: 2

Well I've a bit of the same equipment and am just making a transfer.

What I like to do is get a transparent the deals well with a different kinds of boosters, overdrive and distortion pedals. Something a Legacy does really well imo, it is just waiting to be boosted with your favorite flavor. Usually these amps also deal well with the kind of guitar and pickups you run into it. That is: respecting their characteristics.

Atm the moment I own a Legacy, Marshalls DSL50 and 6100LM which I'm toying around with to see what I like most, but they suit my above expectancies well. From demo's a think an alchemist would fit in here as well, and I guess the JVM as well. But they all have their own kind of "base tones" clean and lead if you will, where you further can build upon. Now this base is about personal preference. the Legacy's clean is unmatched really, very harmonic warm en rich, but the lead is a bit too spongy for me and I like the tighter denser lead of the DSL, but it's a bit colder... so you see, you have to test en hear yourself. I personally buy everything used, test around and resell/trade for something else. I'm afraid it's the only and affordable way

Further I use loose pedals for the boosting part (I have 3 Rats, tubescreamer, SD-1 that awaits a mod, a Satchurator, etc), to play with the amp's base tone. A most valuable tool for toneshaping is a graphical EQ. Really, get one, this can make all the difference in the world. I use the amp's EQ to set a basis, and en EQ in the loop the define what I want, but the difference can be huge.

I just put a DD-3 (1st version btw) and 10 band MXR EQ on sale. They both do perform well, np, but I really prefer to have a few EQ settings at hand, also since I use different booster, each booster can work better with it's own 10 band EQ setting, same goes for guitars and pickups. (my Washburn N4 has such a specific tone, that it does not work on setting of an Ibanez RG). So I want to get the GT-10 (I have to pick it up this afternoon actually because it gives me that graphics EQ stuff, and probably a more than decent delay. I'm planning to use it only for it's fx, preferable in the loop fot just these base fx. A flanger/chorus/compressor once in a while for fun (can't justify owning these as loose pedals just for the one time I use them). It's also good to have a tuner in the GT-10. My TU-2 works fine for tuning but it sucks tone. My lead channels loose some bite, so I can't stand it having it in my chain. I hope the GT-10 doesn't suck too much lol but I've read good things about it.

I really digg Nuno Bettencourt tone btw, so that's a Rat2, a GT8 in a DSL and done.

Further if you mention 1000£ for the amp, go used, and get a head and a cab. Combo's are back-breakers as for as portability goes, can have overheating problems and are not tube-friendly at all. The Legacy combo I had sounded like a rattling cage, totally no issue with any head I had.

Hope this helps a little.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Reviews: 65

Get an FractalAudio AxeFX that will be the end of it.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the great responses every body - I'm getting some super ideas!
Keep them coming please
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
Get an FractalAudio AxeFX that will be the end of it.

+1000

Mine replaced this:
JCM800 2204
2 ADA MP-1 preamps
1 Digitech IPS-33B
1 G-Force
1 ADA Microcab II cab sim
1 ISP ProRack G

Buy the Ultra. You will NEVER need another piece of gear. I believe the Europe one's are sold thru G66.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

But what kind of amp is good for the Axe FX?
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM

Yes G66.eu is the adress.

Mine replaced:

Carvin V3
Marshall JVM100
2 2x12 Cabs
2 4x12 Cabs
2 Wahs (Ibanez, Dunlop)
3 Distortions
4 Delays
A Damage Control Time Zone
A Damage Control Glass Nexus
A M13
A Harmonizer
A Whammy Pedal
A Intelligent Pitch Shifter
A Roland Guitar Synth
A Tubeman
Rocktron Chameleon

---------------------------

Replaced this list with: AxeFX Ultra + 200 Bucks FRFR Monitor Box + Ground Control MIDI Board
Fun is -> I sound better now and everyone asks me what killer Tube Amp I use......
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyG View Post
But what kind of amp is good for the Axe FX?
You do not need an amp, I go with the Balanced Outputs directly into the PA System and route one of the send outputs to an active full range monitor infront of me...
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 2

How "warm" do these things sound? I've been toying with a pod x3 for a while, (okay, the axe is 4x the price ), but when I bumped into a legacy I couldn't resist buying, the warmth of it just melted the X3.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

I have tried several modellers and never like any of them.

I have tested the Axe when I still had my old dual rectifier with the result:
I could make it sound EXACTLY like the dual rectifier.

Now when comparing the sound of the Axe to my Carvin or a friends (70s original) Twin Reverb, the modells can sound EXACTLY the same. Same dynamics, same tone.

Does it have the warm sound of the tube amp? Yes it has EXACTLY THE SAME SOUND.

Though it takes some time to deal the tone in, as there are far more soundcontrolls than the original amps had built in and most factory presets do not sound good (they are "show off how much it can do").

I had this huge list of gear simply because I could not beleave any modeller will ever come close. The Axe has proven me wrong. It has the sound, it has the quality, it is all my favorite current and vintage amps in one box.
Today when I gig I use 70s Fender Amps, 80s Marshalls, current Engls, Bogners, JSXs, Carvins etc. with about 12 different cabs and 4 Mics.... just all of that inside the Axe and it sounds awesome, plus I can switch Amp/Cap/Mic and Effekts with one hit on the floorboard....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode