Please help me choose an amp for shred - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Please help me choose an amp for shred

HI all,

I own a Blackstar HT20 which is a great amp, but im not sure its got the high gain shred sound I have in my mind.

I really like playing neoclassical music, so I dont want that muddy brutal sound, rather an articulate (perhaps liquid) high gain sound - do you know what I mean?

I have had quite a few amps now, most of them lower gain and they wernt what I was looking for either.

I was wondering if perhaps the Engl fireball might be appropriate for me? I also love Mesa amps but the Rectifiers sound really brutal to my ears. Also I dont really want to spend more than a grand at a real push.

Any constructive help REALLY appreciated in helping me choose the right amp, I want this to be the last time. And before you ask, I cant try any out because im literally in the sticks.

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Please help me choose an amp for shred

Have you test-driven a Peavey 6505 2x12 ?
Hard to beat at around 500 bucks.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM

i have the ht20 head too. can't imagine anyone thinking it doesn't have enough gain, but different strokes for different folks. one thing to seriously consider is that many metal/hard rock soloists are using a o/d or distortion pedal to drive the amp, especially for lead tones. i wouldn't think you'd need something that would add a lot of distortion, just enough to add some extra 'grease' and volume. i personally use a modded ts9 which sounds excellent with the ht20, but i have a fulltone ocd which is also very articulate and punchy.

as a disclaimer, i don't really use tons of gain anymore. i probably have the ht20's gain at noon (for rhythm) and then use the ts9 when i solo. that gets me a satriani-esque amount of gain, and he doesn't really use a lot of gain on his leads anyway.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
i have the ht20 head too. can't imagine anyone thinking it doesn't have enough gain, but different strokes for different folks. one thing to seriously consider is that many metal/hard rock soloists are using a o/d or distortion pedal to drive the amp, especially for lead tones. i wouldn't think you'd need something that would add a lot of distortion, just enough to add some extra 'grease' and volume. i personally use a modded ts9 which sounds excellent with the ht20, but i have a fulltone ocd which is also very articulate and punchy.

as a disclaimer, i don't really use tons of gain anymore. i probably have the ht20's gain at noon (for rhythm) and then use the ts9 when i solo. that gets me a satriani-esque amount of gain, and he doesn't really use a lot of gain on his leads anyway.
Thankyou both for your replies! Yes I was wondering about maybe adding a robert keeley flexi 2x4 into the mix. Im a big paul gilbert fan myself, I know he used one of these and I think steve vai.

I wouldnt say I use tons of gain either, I just want a more saturated sound for leads I think...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 120

Just through an overdrive in front of the amp. I'd be surprised if the HT-20 doesn't have enough gain for what you are after. I think you are confusing tone shaping for gain. A Tube Screamer type overdrive will tighten and sharpen up your sound for that shred sound you are seeking.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:21 AM

Hello there,

I play Neo classical music also, You mentioned the Rectifier not being to your liking but I find it is perfect for said genre as it is very versatile to some extent, if you like the tone of Jari's Solos (Wintersun) he records with Mesa, Also Engl Savage is one of my favorites for said genre. (Necorphagist's solos recorded with savage) As you said money is around 1000$ I would even sagest a Marshall JCM900 with matching cabinet, I really think that amp is just perfect for Neo classical (Yngwie to Symphony x/Adagio/Rob marcello ect..) also the price is excellent.

Also I highly recommend using an Ibanez tube screamer before any of the amps.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Just through an overdrive in front of the amp. I'd be surprised if the HT-20 doesn't have enough gain for what you are after. I think you are confusing tone shaping for gain. A Tube Screamer type overdrive will tighten and sharpen up your sound for that shred sound you are seeking.
I think you are right, Im going to buy a robert keeley TS9 flexi today My blackstar is a wonderful amp, I think im just not pushing it hard enough, especially because I cannot turn it up too loud.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushan View Post
Hello there,

I play Neo classical music also, You mentioned the Rectifier not being to your liking but I find it is perfect for said genre as it is very versatile to some extent, if you like the tone of Jari's Solos (Wintersun) he records with Mesa, Also Engl Savage is one of my favorites for said genre. (Necorphagist's solos recorded with savage) As you said money is around 1000$ I would even sagest a Marshall JCM900 with matching cabinet, I really think that amp is just perfect for Neo classical (Yngwie to Symphony x/Adagio/Rob marcello ect..) also the price is excellent.

Also I highly recommend using an Ibanez tube screamer before any of the amps.
Brilliant post also, and good advice. Im going to try the TS first, just about to order
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Ok guys, well I got my Keeley TS9 Flexi, and I have to say - superb. It really helps push the amp to get the shreddy sound I want but manages to stay transparent at the same time.

Im considering buying the keeley compressor next....

Thumbs up for Overdrive pedals
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Reviews: 65

Carvin V3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode