Please recommend HSH options - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Please recommend HSH options

Hello Jemsiters!
I'm back from hard 3 years of infinite work and "guitarlessness", it's been 3 years since my last post I think, and I missed you all.

Now, as you can see I'm back to guitars business and eventually, on monday I'm goint to local store to buy RG with a HSH and floyd. So I think it's a best place to hear your thoughts about some sound options on HSH I want to achieve.

Note: If you are lazy you can skip everything until Goal section

Before stating here is my last configuration on stratocaster I own (The Totocaster :P ), in the neck there is a SD Lil'59 which gives me veeery rich Les Paul-ish fat sound, great for solos (sweeps, fast runs), cleans and even some jazz-ish sounds. At the middle I have SD Duck-bucker for some obvious "stratocaster without hum" sounds, and at the bridge position I have feat and very meaty SD Hot Rails which I heavily use for metal rhythms. I do like this setup, it sounds great but non of those pickups (except for lil'59, to be fair) deliver huge dynamics I want now from my new guitar. Hot Rails have so much power and is so loud that it literally doesn't matter how hard you attack strings, it sounds massive ó all the time. Duck-Bucker is pretty numb, it sounds like heavily compressed clean sound.

Goal: To have massive dynamics range in any position with some classic rock to metal (not, death and black, just metal is enough) sounds.

My personal Thoughts: I'm not Seymour Duncan fan, (neither DiMarzio) but for RG I thought it will be cool to try out DiMarzios. In the neck I think going PAF (Pro?, Joe?, " "?, no idea), middle position: emmm... no idea yet, and Evo2 at the bridge. What do you think?

Thanks in advance, it's great to be here again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 PM

Re: Please recommend HSH options

Welcome back.

I use PAF Pro/FS-1/Tone Zone for my HSH guitars. I get a nice range of sounds with this combo.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Regular Norton/ Ibanez S1/ Tone Zone
5 way with 2-4 in single coil mode

mpx
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromplanetX View Post
Regular Norton/ Ibanez S1/ Tone Zone
Regular Norton to Neck? I thought it's way to powerful even for bridge.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM

B - Steve's Special
M - ?
N - Air Norton

I know, not the most original combo out there, but it's quite versatile. Split the hums and you're in for some serious business.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I've surfed the web now for several hours and found that DiMazrio True Velvet Middle is a fantastic sounding pick-up, but unfortunately non-hum-canciling. So I think that's my middle pick-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inanimate View Post
N - Air Norton
That's sounds good, I've to find some samples over the net. Thanks.

BTW, I'm amazed how good is Evo Neck in terms of dynamics. I know that it sounds far from PAF, but I think I really do like it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Regular Norton to Neck? I thought it's way to powerful even for bridge.
yep regular norton....
just back it down from the strings until it balances with the TZ and it is a beautiful thing and reduces magnetic pull on your strings as well it balaces out well ohm-age wise as well

Norton-12.5k
S1-9k
TZ-16.5 to 17.3 depending on the temperature (really... ohm one out... put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes then check it again... its a thermistor!!!)

mpx
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Reviews: 65

I would strongly recommend to look into the Breed Pickups.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Im installing a PAFpro, chopper in the middle and an X2N in the bridge in my RG350 it promises to be pretty metal. Iv just had to order the 5 way multipole superswitch (EP1112) also Dimarzio, because the old one wasnt compatible I even got roped into buying Dimarzio screws, damn it..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Reviews: 130

Stay away from EVO 2 if you're looking for dynamic range--WAY too much of a mid push in the EQ curve.

Check out the new Dimarzio Crunch Lab and LiquiFire pickups for the Bridge and Neck, respectively. Unfortunately, the TrueVelvet is THE pickup to have in the middle--you can get RWRP if you want humbucking in positions 2, 4.

Tags
dimarzio , hsh , pick-ups , recomendations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode