plz reccomend any quality 1 speaker combos for gigging - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

plz reccomend any quality 1 speaker combos for gigging

hey i'm after a new 1 speaker combo(tube!), downsizing for something nice, portable and simple
will be using simply with a Gmajor at pub/club gigs playing modern style(and sounding) covers(think pop/rock/r&b)

some vague descriptions of tone preference =
for distortion i'm not a fan of breakupish distortion(ala some vintage rock overdrives/distortions and often marshall), would like to be able to dial in some tough metal rhythm tones(not for our covers tho) and nice liquid warm lead tones are a must of course, need some smooth nice pop/rock distortions
extra gain could be handy if needed ..and nice :P

still needs to be able to power a bit but not so extreme, we aim to be a quieter band than most

i've been thinking of checking out something like the mesa nomad 45 1x12,
really would love any suggestions as i need some names to research etc

thankyou!!~! you'd be lifesavers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:19 AM

Re: plz reccomend any quality 1 speaker combos for gigging

Any small Mesa would be excellant - our local shop has an F50 combo for about $2000 AUD which I am seriously thinking of buying as a baby version of my TriAxis/2:90 setup.

If money is not really an issue, check out the Lonestar Combos, they are superb, anything like a Mk IV would also be sweet, but probably quite exxie!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

cool, checking it out,

to add- i'm looking for slightly more features or channels than say the Fseries, so atleast 3 channels

and how much power do you think would be the minimum to actually gig a 1 speaker combo without mic'ing it up? i imagine 45watts(ala nomad) should be fine eh

i don't have much experience with combos, came from a marshall stack and then rack setup before..

Last edited by Ki swordsman; 10-25-2005 at 05:01 AM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

babump, almost had a nomad on evilbay but price got bumped too high for something i can't play in person....
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:34 AM

Having owned both, I'd highly reco either the Nomad 45 or the Mark IV... based on the description of the tones you're looking for, I think either would fit the bill. The Mark is obscenely flexible... while it's probably twice as much as a used Nomad, it's worth it if you're one of those people who likes to flip switches, turn knobs, etc.

--B
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks man, yeah i'm hoping to find a deal i like somewhere soon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman
hey i'm after a new 1 speaker combo(tube!), downsizing for something nice, portable and simple
will be using simply with a Gmajor at pub/club gigs playing modern style(and sounding) covers(think pop/rock/r&b)
I'm thinking perhaps a Mesa Nomad by your description here.

Quote:
some vague descriptions of tone preference =
for distortion i'm not a fan of breakupish distortion(ala some vintage rock overdrives/distortions and often marshall), would like to be able to dial in some tough metal rhythm tones(not for our covers tho) and nice liquid warm lead tones are a must of course, need some smooth nice pop/rock distortions
extra gain could be handy if needed ..and nice :P
So you don't like tube distortion? Try a Fender Twin Reverb or Bassman with a distortion pedal then maybe.

Quote:
still needs to be able to power a bit but not so extreme, we aim to be a quieter band than most
More points to a Fender.

Quote:
i've been thinking of checking out something like the mesa nomad 45 1x12,
really would love any suggestions as i need some names to research etc

thankyou!!~! you'd be lifesavers!!!
Already mentioned...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM

You should also try to check the Cornfords and the new Rivera Clubster and Pubster if you get them over there.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks heaps guys, i do love tubes in distortion but i just meant i prefer more saturation and smoothness as opposed to marshall breakup
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Try an older Marshall maybe, like NOT a JCM 2000?

Or a Mesa Nomad.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 03:32 PM

try a fender hot rod deluxe. im about to buy one and they sound beautiful!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 PM

Bogner EL34 Shiva. I can't imagine life without mine!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

but how do they go for gainwork? and the tones i described? i do need to pull off nice deep liquidy metal now and then, without too much rough breakup.
i could go fender but i'd probably need a pedal for extra gain from what i understand

still seems like the nomad's the safest bet, unless you guys could go into more detail about the sounds these other amps you have can pull off??
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 AM

if you are using rack FX you should be able to dial in whatever lead and distorted sounds you need. you should start with a good clean sound. small Mesa amps are great but there are a lot of good amps that will handle most gigging needs. try a Classic 30 Peavey, Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb (i use one of these with a Hot British ToneBone pedal - awesome! and you get tube reverb and tube tremelo to boot!), and the Fender Hot Rods are nice as well and all of these can be found for a far fairer price than the Mesas.
just my 2 cents.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:31 AM

The Shiva can cover a LOT of ground. Check out Jerry Cantrell's "Degradation Trip" - it's a Shiva-fest (some Fish preamp stuff too.)

Tags
distortion pedal , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , fender twin , fender twin reverb , jerry cantrell , mesa amps , mesa nomad , rack setup , tube distortion , twin reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode