POD X3 Live or Boss GT-10 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

POD X3 Live or Boss GT-10

I know this subject has been hit on, but I'm wondering a couple of things. I shelved my guitars for 15 years, (what was I thinking!) 62' Byrdland, Washburn electric/acoustic (found out my Sound studio and Tascam 4 track are history) Peavey Audition plus amp still works. Finally got the balls to pull them out and now I cant put them down. I am blown away by the advancements made in effects department! Question: I am torn between the POD X3 Live or Boss GT-10, I really like the looper on the Boss, its seems like a deal breaker for me, the x3 doesn't have it. Maybe get the POD (if much better) and a looper separate? Seems like the X3 has allot over the Boss when it comes to software and ease on the computer. For a guy just getting back into it and without a real effect tweaking background what do you think is best? (don't you hate that question!)About me, mostly dying to try all the effects and eventually want to record on the pc. Hope to get the Gilmour sound out for one of these...Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

Re: POD X3 Live or Boss GT-10

my story is similar to yours...
be that as it may
I bought a boss br 1200 digital recorder
it has basically a gt 10 in it and it's pretty easy to use.
the recorder it self is annoying and i write out bass and drums on a notation program instead, but the guitar effects pretty much eliminate the whole rig i used to use for mic'ing cabs and what not.
much easier to get a good sound
not sure about the pod thing...
but my experience is the more money the company has the better the interfaces are..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM

The pod has a better interface for the computer. Plus the pod farm plug-in is great for recording. I prefer the sound of the Line 6 stuff over boss for amp models, but the effects are better on the boss. For my money the X3 is better, YMMV.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Reviews: 25

Boss GT10 works well for me....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 PM

I got the Pod X3 Live... I preferred the quality of the sounds/amp modeling over the Boss.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Responses seem to be about split! Just getting comfortable jamming again
and can totally imagine jammin' with the looper on the Boss.
Is there a good solution for a looper in conjunction with the POD?
Probubly a dumb question, but I have been out of the scene for some 15 years.
After Manticore purchase of the boss br 1200 digital, I have something else to think about as well..
Reading reviews right now....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I swear by my POD! I have the XT Live, and love it. Go with what sounds better to you and has the most features you're looking for. A looper shouldn't be "Deal breaker"--unless it's the only function you're after.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Alaska, I live on Maui and the one music store here does not have either in stock.
I have to go by Utube and by what peeps that own them have to say.
It's a kid in a candy store situation for me as these effects were not readily available about 15 years ago, last time I played.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 PM

Reviews: 18

IMO, most POD or Line6 products are mainly set to emulate sounds of particular amps. The GT-10 will allow you to teak the sounds to your heart's content. Personally, I'd go for the GT-10.

Jimmy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 AM

Actually, that's not true. The degree of tweaking with the Pod X3 Live is extremely extensive... as well, you can add two voices. What I mean is, you can set up one sound on one channel, and a completely different sound on another channel and merge them... or only select one or the other or both with foot switches. You can apply one of the sounds to vocals (it has a mic input), or to keyboards or bass while using another of your channels for guitar. There is a host of amp selections (heads and cabinets), stomp boxes, wah pedals, etc., all of which can be tweaked to your heart's content. And on the front panel of the device is a basic amp-type set-up, whereby you can alter gain, tone, treble, bass, mid, etc.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj View Post
Actually, that's not true. The degree of tweaking with the Pod X3 Live is extremely extensive... as well, you can add two voices. What I mean is, you can set up one sound on one channel, and a completely different sound on another channel and merge them... or only select one or the other or both with foot switches. You can apply one of the sounds to vocals (it has a mic input), or to keyboards or bass while using another of your channels for guitar. There is a host of amp selections (heads and cabinets), stomp boxes, wah pedals, etc., all of which can be tweaked to your heart's content. And on the front panel of the device is a basic amp-type set-up, whereby you can alter gain, tone, treble, bass, mid, etc.
Logic - Having owned both, I can vouch for the GT10 being far more extensive in its range of tweaking.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 AM

I never said it was more or less capable of tweaking. It was stated that the Pod was geared more toward sounding like particular amps, whereas I stated that although amp modules are on the device (as is the case with nearly all type pedals), there is significant ability to custom tweak one's setups.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Reviews: 25

The looper is awesome on it, if your going to buy an all in one, and you have to then buy a looper seperate then its not an all in one now is it ?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Line 6 is about to release a new version of the POD in September. It's called the POD HD. It will be available in three versions.

Search the web for further leaks...

It looks like it might me be worse waiting 2 extra months.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Looks like Manticore was at the same place I was and went with the boss br 1200 digital recorder, interesting choice. They say it has COSM effects and amp models derived from BOSS's GT-6/6B..I wonder how much you give up going that route.. I'm not going for stage or live gigs, more studio than anything..

Tags
boss gt-10 , pod x3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode