Poll for live gig users: Real amps or modelers? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Poll for live gig users: Real amps or modelers?

Relatively new member. Play in a 80's metal cover band. The other guitar player uses a GNX3000 (thru a tube amp) and I tend to go relatively straight through one of my 800's or a 900 (depending on mood.) I really think I get a better sound. Does anybody regularly gig with the Multi-FX units and get good results? Just curious....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Re: Poll for live gig users: Real amps or modelers?

Real Amp EVERY time.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 AM

im confused.. is the gnx thing an amp modeller or a dedicated multi effects unit?
a good multi effects unit will not degrade an amps real sound and they have no distortion or amp modelling features onboard the effects unit. check out TC electronics Gmajor for an example
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Reviews: 130

Real amp. I love my GT-8, but I'd probably never use it live...
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
Real amp. I love my GT-8, but I'd probably never use it live...
i would use mine, but only with the preamp turned OFF. it would mess with my amp too much. i would probly use it on manual mode as a effects board.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

I've used my POD XT Live. With some measure of success. It sounds good. But not tube amp good. I mic my JSX through my Legacy 2x12 w/ V30's.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I've used my POD XT Live. With some measure of success. It sounds good. But not tube amp good.
I've had the same experience with my XT Live.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Wink Re: Poll for live gig users: Real amps or modelers?

I use my rp250 with my MARSHALL setting in the effect loop in my PEAVEY BANDIT and use a MARSHALL 4x12 1960a for speakers.

Sound awesome!!!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM

I use a JSX and no modelers and it works fine for my soft pop and death metal bands so realTUBE amp for me.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM

Real amps for me.

Modellers get a little better every generation, so ask me again in 5 or 10 years and I might give a different answer.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies..the other guitarist uses a 5150 and runs the GNX3000 into the front end of the amp and with a 4X12. I use either a 50W or 100W JCM800 and usually the DODYJM308 for a boost. I think it cuts through the mix better. Funnything is, the guy prefers a Mexican strat to his Ibanez 760....go figure??? I picked up an H&K Warp pedal just to mess with the dude. I told him I have a secret weapon for the gig this weekend. You would think that its too much distortion but it really isnt. When I switch to other pedals like DS-1, or MXR DIST. +, I'm like something is missing here!!! Like a TRIPLE RECTO in a box.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 6

At larger gigs where I'm allowed to turn up more, tube amps are best. At smaller "shoe box" gigs, now that I have a Mesa Subway Rocket, I'll probably use it from now on but, I tell you, my Vox AD60VTX was just perfect for the small gigs. Never wished I had brought any of my tube heads either.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM

modelling?

Pfhah!

modelling is also called faking the real thing.

I've done a fair bit of recording using a Johnson J-Station, and Line 6's Amp Farm, and the guitar just feels...... terrible, so unresponsive, just dead under your fingers - I can only put this down to having the guitar's signal chopped into 44100 little pieces every second then digitally reconstructed with all sorts of horrible things done to it. Sounds fine on tape, in a mix, but a really seriously unrewarding experience.

And besides, most engineers/producers change their mind about modellers soon after hearing what comes out of a TriAxis/2:90 rig in any case!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Modeling amps lip synch.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: Poll for live gig users: Real amps or modelers?

i've toured France twice just using my PODxt and Footcontroler and should be doing it again later this yr!!! i've always had consistantly great results and it sure beats the hell outta lugging around a bunch of unneccessary stuff!!!:P

Tags
david mccarroll , death metal , mexican strat , peavey bandit , solid state amp , solid state amps , triple recto , tube amp , tube amps , tube head , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode