Is this possible, and how would I do it? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Is this possible, and how would I do it?

Here is what I am thinking, is this crazy or doable? Plug my guitar into a cable, into an A/B pedal: One side goes to my twin re verb, the other to a Vox Night train. Now I would like to be able to somehow plug my Night Train into the combo speakers, basically having them function for the twin re verb, and as an extension cab for the Night Train. I love the cleans of the twin, but really want to use those dirty class A tones from the Night Train, and I don't want to have to switch cables in the midle of a show, or carry around an extra extention cab. Basically trying to make 2 one channel amps into 1 2 channel amp with foot switch. Is this crazy? I think it could be really cool..

How would you go about this, is it even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: Is this possible, and how would I do it?

http://www.radialeng.com/index.htm

Jimmy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Didn't Tony Macalpine do something similar to this? I can't recall, but I feel like I remember he used a splitter box and did something like this...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

The radial head-bone looks like it would work, but it is designed for 2 head amps, not a combo amp. I still need to rewire the combo speakers so that they connect with a 1/4 in cable, and not the standard + and - wires. Do you know how to do that? Would it be hard to do?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM

Reviews: 3

you would need to control the current direction to the speakers with diodes to prevent each amps output from crossing over to the output of the other...
I believe you could isolate the spkrs w/just one diode in the twin...don't know offhand what value to use, but one diode between the +output and the + spkr terminal on the twins spkr leads should do it...install it so the current direction is from the twin to the spkrs. As far as converting to 1/4 jack, easy... + wire is center or tip,- is outside or sleeve.

Last edited by mtldad; 06-21-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 AM

Sorry, but the bit about diodes is not right, the signal from the amp is AC and adding a diode would cut out half this signal but not protect anything.

What you need in principal is an A/B box to switch between the amps and another A/B box the other way round to switch the amps to the speaker.
The problem here is when one amp is not connected to the speaker its output ideally needs to be connected to a suitable load.

This: http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt-features.htm claims to be ok at $350, and is essentially 2 A/Bs in one box, but makes no mention of loading the head output that isn't being used. I guess if you guarantee no signal into the second head, then it's output can be not loaded.
Hope this makes sense!

As for the wiring, you would need to cut the speaker lead and connect 1/4 inch jack sockets to the lead from the amp, and the same to the lead from the speaker, make sure the + is connected to the tip of the jack socket. For normal use make up a patch lead with 2 jacks on it out of say mains cable, don't use an instrument patch lead as it won't take the current.
Jim

Last edited by Vim Fuego; 06-22-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I feel I got the answer I was looking for. Ill let you all know when I finish the et up. Thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 3

You are correct Vim...I was way off...I would just use seperate spkrs...sorry!!!

Tags
2 amps into combo amp. , cambo amp , extra head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode