Post your first guitar - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Re: Post your first guitar

White Epiphone HSS cheap strat with a headstock in the shape of the explorer one IIRC. Bought around 1986 or '87. Had a Dimarzio Super Distortion put in it. Sold to a friend in 1991, after getting my RG550 in 1990.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeofsobriety View Post
Heres my first one, 125.00 at a pawn shop. It's a Kramer Pacer Deluxe It's still one of my favorite guitars, prolly cuz of the sentimental value. But she still plays and sounds great
I have the Kramer Pacer (in pieces), but with chrome OFR and straight headstock.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 4

My first guitar is in a landfill somewhere. It was a crappy acoustic I bought for $5 at a garage sale and it never stayed in tune.

BUT!!! Its destruction is immortalized on film as it met its demise in a really bad improv acting video my brother and his friend filmed.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I have the Kramer Pacer (in pieces), but with chrome OFR and straight headstock.
Sweet, I love Kramers, most of em anyway. There are some terrible korean models.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 PM

This is an old picture of me with first guitar (I must be about 16 here), which was absolutely beautiful before I butchered it. It's a Squier Hank Marvin signiture Strat, made by Fender Japan at some point between 1992 and 1994, and is one of 1500 produced. I love this guitar, and it would be the first guitar I'd grab if the house was burning down.

I replaced the stock pickups (which sounded good, despite having some feedback problems) with Duncan hotrails, wired through some push/pull pots and a few different capacitors for alot of different sounds. Tonally, it's still the most versatile guitar I own, but that isn't really what I want from a guitar anymore.

It needed a refret a few years ago (and I mean needed), and I specifically told the luthier that I wanted a refret with rounded jumbo frets and specifically told him not to relaquer the neck. The guitar was given back to me with very thin frets with very flat crowns, with absolutely awful fretwork. I have cut my fingers playing this guitar several times on the frets.

Worse still, he encased the neck in a thick glassy laquer. It doesn't feel like the guitar it once was. Every time I pick it up I feel like it's begging me to change it back to the way it once was.

Well, I can't change it back to how it was, but I'm hoping I can at least do it the justice it deserves. This summer I intend to fit new hardware from Callaham guitars (tremolo unit, strap buttons, string tree, scratchplate), have the neck laquer/fretwork redone by a luthier whose work I've seen and been very impressed by and switch the pickups to a set of Kinman HM signiture singlecoils, with a push/pull volume pot to engage the bridge pickup regardless of what's on the 5-way and the middle tone pot wired to the bridge instead. Maybe then it will se more playtime, instead of just staying in it's case.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Why not just sand the lacquer off and refinish it with a gunstock oil/wax combo?
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:44 PM

I could do that, but if I'm honest, I don't trust myself not to ruin it further.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 01:53 PM

My first guitar was a Black Premier Strat Copy... I gave it to someone some odd years ago to fix a wiring problem and i think the ****er hawked it on fleabay or a pawn shop! Man Sucks ill never see it again..but I can show my second guitar

My 99 Ibanez RG 570

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio super distortion , electric guitar , jason becker , jumbo frets , kramer pacer , mahogany body , maple neck , mini switches , paf pro , seymour duncan , strap button , strap buttons , string tree , style knobs , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode