Post your Pedalboard - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 03:34 AM

Thumbs up Re: Post your Pedalboard

As much of a pain as it was, I really miss the days of MIDI-controlled rack-mount gear. Now I have committed to this killer little mini-stack stereo setup and it sounds fantastic; but it won't be nearly as versatile as my old rack was. Pedals just seem to be where things are today if you aren't looking for all-on-one amp-modeling.

This is my current pedal-board.

I won't get into the nuance of why I prefer the old MIDI way of doing things, instead I will just post the amps they sit between. Overdrives and rotos go up front. The signal is then split the to inputs of the amps and then the signal comes back via effects chains for the modulation effects in stereo and back to the effects returns.

It's working out well but that has a lot to do with the fact I don't move this stuff. I just dust it off before I annoy my neighbors with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200105_162423.jpg (3.92 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20200105_163149.jpg (3.59 MB, 22 views)
FireEagle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Faustus View Post

I won't get into the nuance of why I prefer the old MIDI way of doing things, instead I will just post the amps they sit between. Overdrives and rotos go up front. The signal is then split the to inputs of the amps and then the signal comes back via effects chains for the modulation effects in stereo and back to the effects returns.

It's working out well but that has a lot to do with the fact I don't move this stuff. I just dust it off before I annoy my neighbors with it.
That looks like a really good set-up.
I hear the hall of fame v2 is incredibly versatile. I've been thinking of getting one as my 2nd reverb at the end of the chain.

If i find the cash once this virus thing is gone I'm planning a bigger board and I think that boss EQ is on my list too.
When i play out I'm usually borrowing an amp so the extra ability to tweak with an on board EQ seems worthwhile.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 10:21 AM

Re: Post your Pedalboard

Quote:
As much of a pain as it was, I really miss the days of MIDI-controlled rack-mount gear. Now I have committed to this killer little mini-stack stereo setup and it sounds fantastic; but it won't be nearly as versatile as my old rack was. Pedals just seem to be where things are today if you aren't looking for all-on-one amp-modeling.

That really is a nice board... and amp setup. I would love to put together a nice board like that, eventually settled on the Boss ME-80 multi-fx pedal in the fx loop of my Blackstar. I did it for simplicity, but there is a sacrifice with being stuck with all Boss effects. I've tried putting a few effects in front of the amp and using the ME-80 in the fx loop just for modulation/time-based effects and it does ok, but I always seem to get noise issues with pedals in front of the amp. How do you guys get around the noise issues when using a lot of pedals in front of the amp?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
How do you guys get around the noise issues when using a lot of pedals in front of the amp?
I'm running 8-10 pedals straight into the amp. Never had noise issues unless i include my old blue MXR EQ in the chain.

A few tips that helped me. Others will have even better ideas.
1. Largely stick to classic pedal order. Where you stick effects like compressor vs fuzz can make a big difference. (Unless i want noise... Shoegaze style)
2. I've almost always got my volume pedal early in the chain. Just kill or drop the signal when not playing
3. I use less and less gain these days.
4. Humbuckers and an isolated power supply rather than daisychaining from a 9v adapter help..
FireEagle likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
How do you guys get around the noise issues when using a lot of pedals in front of the amp?
A noise gate. I have only ever used an ISP Decimator II so I am not very knowledgeable of the nuances between different noise gates on the market. Some people are though.
FireEagle likes this.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
I'm running 8-10 pedals straight into the amp. Never had noise issues unless i include my old blue MXR EQ in the chain.

A few tips that helped me. Others will have even better ideas.
1. Largely stick to classic pedal order. Where you stick effects like compressor vs fuzz can make a big difference. (Unless i want noise... Shoegaze style)
2. I've almost always got my volume pedal early in the chain. Just kill or drop the signal when not playing
3. I use less and less gain these days.
4. Humbuckers and an isolated power supply rather than daisychaining from a 9v adapter help..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
A noise gate. I have only ever used an ISP Decimator II so I am not very knowledgeable of the nuances between different noise gates on the market. Some people are though.
Thanks for the tips... For quite some time I've been happy using the ME80 as the front end of the amp (Guitar > ME80 > FX return), but I've been experimenting a bit lately with running a few pedals into the front end of the amp and putting the ME80 in the loop. Pretty versatile, but noisy (guitar > eq pedal > wah > Comp > TS9 > Blackstar amp clean channel > ME80 > FX return) and I almost get a single coil-ish effect when running into the clean channel, even with hot humbuckers. The compressor really helps for smoother overdrive but adds quite a bit of noise. I'll look into a good pedal power supply, as I'm using several individual pedal power supplies. Suppose I could try using batteries temporarily just to see if it takes the noise level down.

Maybe setting up the noise gate in the ME80 in the fx loop will help too? Do you put your noise gate after the pedals that go in the front end or the last pedal in the fx loop?

Thanks again for the help! I can deal with noisy signal when just jamming for fun, but when recording it is really noticeable.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips... For quite some time I've been happy using the ME80 as the front end of the amp (Guitar > ME80 > FX return), but I've been experimenting a bit lately with running a few pedals into the front end of the amp and putting the ME80 in the loop. Pretty versatile, but noisy (guitar > eq pedal > wah > Comp > TS9 > Blackstar amp clean channel > ME80 > FX return) and I almost get a single coil-ish effect when running into the clean channel, even with hot humbuckers. The compressor really helps for smoother overdrive but adds quite a bit of noise. I'll look into a good pedal power supply, as I'm using several individual pedal power supplies. Suppose I could try using batteries temporarily just to see if it takes the noise level down.

Maybe setting up the noise gate in the ME80 in the fx loop will help too? Do you put your noise gate after the pedals that go in the front end or the last pedal in the fx loop?

Thanks again for the help! I can deal with noisy signal when just jamming for fun, but when recording it is really noticeable.
Setting up the noise gate on the ME80 should help.
I would try putting the noise gate at both spots in your signal chain and listen to which sounds/works best. As far as I am aware, those are the two spots a noise gate can usefully go.
FireEagle likes this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:

I won't get into the nuance of why I prefer the old MIDI way of doing things, instead I will just post the amps they sit between.
I am interested in why you "prefer the old MIDI way of doing things." The way I understand MIDI as it usefully applies to the guitar is its ability to control many parameters of many pieces of analog and digital gear with the touch of a 1 button. (Just an example.) I have heard people say basically what you said about MIDI too. They loved it. With MIDI 2.0 on the horizon, I suspect it will become more relevant again.

So, why did you like about MIDI?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I am interested in why you "prefer the old MIDI way of doing things." The way I understand MIDI as it usefully applies to the guitar is its ability to control many parameters of many pieces of analog and digital gear with the touch of a 1 button. (Just an example.) I have heard people say basically what you said about MIDI too. They loved it. With MIDI 2.0 on the horizon, I suspect it will become more relevant again.

So, why did you like about MIDI?
O this is an very easy one to answer:
I didn't have a lot of expensive rack gear but my effects and my preamp were all MIDI-compliant. So all I needed was one decent MIDI controller (in my case I used an ART Ultrafoot, which had a lot of buttons for preset and TWO expression pedals) and you could assign any parameter to them in any preset.

So I played in a band that did originals and covers. with one button tap I could get that weird mid notch in "Satch Boogie," that crazy 13ms delay filter in "Leave Me Alone" by Extreme, change my delay level (so I could add delay to any preset and just bring it in or out with one of pedals, turning one preset into two), or use it as a solo volume boost if I didn't have a sound engineer to turn me up for solo time. I could customize delays (like in Hina by DLR band with the left channel coming out dry and the right channel delayed, creating that awesome poly rhythm which I cannot do with my Flashback X4). Note, however, I do have an active expression pedal on the board and it is just for the tc electronic Flashback X4 because I can turn on a preset and take that delay completely out or turn it all the way up, which is how I typically use it; but it is a pain to keep it consistently calibrated whereas with MIDI I could set it once and never look back.

On top of all that I could make a preset for each song we played, and get as close to the studio tone as possible. I could play a three-hour show of covers and originals with just one bank of presets and the two expression pedals and never worry about anything. It just worked. In the end I just had a standard Alesis Quadraverb and an A.R.T. Multiverb III and that was enough, because I could change gain, EQ (even really crazy EQ), and effects on the fly and never miss a beat.

The only hard part was setting each preset up an naming it because the input stuff was all done through the front panels of these rack units and they were cumbersome as hell, BUT you only had to set it up once and you had it forever after that.

Pedals are cool because you can swap them out but if you think I want to bend down and change the chorus or reverb or phasor knobs between songs you'd be wrong. With the old MIDI control I could just set it up once and pick the preset for the tune that was coming up, then tweak the parameters on the fly during the song without even really looking away from the audience. It was heaven.

Yes, I know the newer gear does this, too; but I don't want all that amp modelling stuff. I just want FX variety and control and now that I've built up a serious pedal collection (at least I think it is) I don't want to tear it all down and start over with a Helix or an Fractal or a Kemper or something like that.

I don't play out anymore anyway so the point is kinda moot.

And let's be fair: collecting pedals is fun!

Last edited by Dr. Faustus; 05-11-2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Typos and swearing fixed
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 01:15 AM

“It just worked.”
This is probably the best reason you could give.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 10:24 PM

definitely nothing special, but it works for the band I'm currently playing in.

Boss Noise suppressor
Boss Tuner
Cheapo Donner Octave/harmonizer
Rehoused and Modded Ibanez TS-7 in hot mode
Boss Blues Driver
DOD Gonkulator
Ibanez Chorus/Flanger (set in flanger mode)
Catalinbread Belle Epoch Delay
MXR Carbon Copy

https://i.ibb.co/kHmDGyc/current-board-2020.jpg

Last edited by Blacksunshine; 05-15-2020 at 10:37 PM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 10:27 PM

maybe this works better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg current board 2020.jpg (409.4 KB, 20 views)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
maybe this works better?
It Does! 🙂

Gonkulator, looks soo much fun. I don't play much shred style these days. But when i do i like doing buckethead covers/ style improv. I bet you could get some awesome quirky noises out of that thing.

The catlinbread delay, I've heard, is amazing. I was looking at that or an avalanche run for my second delay, but ended up getting a KMA cirrus yesterday.
How do you like the Belle Epoch? I wonder if I'll end up regretting not going for that one..
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
It Does! 🙂

Gonkulator, looks soo much fun. I don't play much shred style these days. But when i do i like doing buckethead covers/ style improv. I bet you could get some awesome quirky noises out of that thing.

The catlinbread delay, I've heard, is amazing. I was looking at that or an avalanche run for my second delay, but ended up getting a KMA cirrus yesterday.
How do you like the Belle Epoch? I wonder if I'll end up regretting not going for that one..
I like the Belle Epoch a lot. It replaced an Ibanez 7 series delay/echo so there was a slight learning curve, there's more to it, but once I figured it all out I love it. It's really warm, not so robotic and digital sounding.

Hey, if Eric Johnson uses it, it's gotta be good right! LOL

Now if I could only play a fraction of how he plays.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode